• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most elegant batsmen

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
ML Jaisimha amongst others
Wow you have watched Jaisimha bat? Gavaskar has so much admiration for him, he named Rohan after him along with Kanhai and Vishwanath (Rohan Jaivishwa Gavaskar)

Could you please describe Jaismha a bit. I have never even watched a clip of him batting but have heard a lot about his apparent class.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Herschelle Gibbs is the most elegant for me.. But even I have been compared to the great Tom Graveny, in a "that cover drive is for the photographers" sense..

From a technique point of view, I absolutely love watching Daren Ganga and Boeta Dippenaar.. Both of whom show that an immaculate textbook technique don't get you to the top of cricket.. But they are my favourite batsmen

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Trevor Gripper was some one whos batting I watched for a just a while but enjoyed a lot..

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pratyush said:
Trevor Gripper was some one whos batting I watched for a just a while but enjoyed a lot..
Ah, yes another good example.. Love the textbook boys.. One day I will become a proper one :)

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Reading some of the posts above...I clearly dont think Inzamam,Shaun Pollock fall into the elegance category.

I have just watched highlights of their careers...but still in my view David Gower and Martin Crowe take the honours of the most elegant batsmen

And whenever I watch Rahul Dravid's cover drive,I think he is God

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
nikhil1772 said:
Reading some of the posts above...I clearly dont think Inzamam,Shaun Pollock fall into the elegance category.
The next time you watch Inzamam bat, see how early he reads the fast bowlers and how he has all the time in the world to play them with ease. He is lazy yes. But his elegance is in the sheer ease with which he makes his runs.

Watch the inning Inzamam played vs New Zealand in 1992 when he was thin too.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Inzamam was once thin??????

Anyway I do agree he reads the ball pretty early and plays with relative ease and all...but still gets no marks for Elegance though

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
nikhil1772 said:

Anyway I do agree he reads the ball pretty early and plays with relative ease and all...but still gets no marks for Elegance though
I did mention lazy elegance coz I find the way he plays late so easily totally elegant.

Inzy was totally thin in 92. He did manage to get run out by Jonty though by that top notch effort any way :D

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
nikhil1772 said:

Yes, Inzamaum was infact quite thin and did run well between wickets. If you watch any highlights of the 1992 World Cup you will see how much Inzi has changes, and that Gillespie wasn't the first player to sport a mullet, both Steve & Mark Waugh had impressive mullets, however nowhere near the callibre of Gillespie.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Wow you have watched Jaisimha bat? Gavaskar has so much admiration for him, he named Rohan after him along with Kanhai and Vishwanath (Rohan Jaivishwa Gavaskar)

Could you please describe Jaismha a bit. I have never even watched a clip of him batting but have heard a lot about his apparent class.
Tall and upright. Appeared taller than he was due to his very upright carriage.

Always batted with a white kerchief knotted around his neck and his collars upright. It was very smart for us kids. 8-)

His batting had a grace and elegance that made him appear to be handsome fellow even if you hadnt seen his face, if you see what I mean. He was totally incapable of playing an ugly stroke. He was a handsome guy anyway.

The closest I can think of a recent batsman is Mark Waugh. The same easy, effortless stroking of the ball which seemed to somehow go much faster than it was hit. Batting was also more upright like Waugh's. he had this knack of appearing extremely flamboyant while playing pure cricketing shots.

If he had a fault it was that he did not value his wicket as much as he should have. An out and out amateur.

A great cricketing brain. Easily one of the best captains never to lead a test side.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mohinder Armanath -horrible stance but technically excellent once his feet were moving.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:

Always batted with a white kerchief knotted around his neck and his collars upright. It was very smart for us kids. 8-)

His batting had a grace and elegance that made him appear to be handsome fellow even if you hadnt seen his face, if you see what I mean. He was totally incapable of playing an ugly stroke. He was a handsome guy anyway.

The closest I can think of a recent batsman is Mark Waugh. The same easy, effortless stroking of the ball which seemed to somehow go much faster than it was hit. Batting was also more upright like Waugh's. he had this knack of appearing extremely flamboyant while playing pure cricketing shots.

If he had a fault it was that he did not value his wicket as much as he should have. An out and out amateur.

A great cricketing brain. Easily one of the best captains never to lead a test side.
Thanks a lot for the insight.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
SJS said:

Wow...This insight looked pretty 'wanting-to-be-seen-on-video-like'...Is there anyway we could get a glimpse of this man?

MattO

Cricket Spectator
Mark Waugh. I'm glad to say I saw him reel off three centuries at the SCG and I rate them as three of the best knocks I have seen.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
nikhil1772 said:
Wow...This insight looked pretty 'wanting-to-be-seen-on-video-like'...Is there anyway we could get a glimpse of this man?
My scanner's not working. Let me try. Give it a couple of days.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
My scanner's not working. Let me try. Give it a couple of days.
I have pictures of the guy and those can be avalied on the internet too. But video clips are missing..

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
I have pictures of the guy and those can be avalied on the internet too. But video clips are missing..
Impossible to get video clips. I am sure in the Govt's news archives there would be films but have no clue as to how to get at them.:(

In India these were handled by the Govt. and it was a thrill to see a movie just after a test match/series as the News reel that was mandatory before any movie started always showed clips from the games. In the pre TV days, you can imagine what a great boon it was in those days. We used to see the same movie again and again to see a particularly good cricket clip. 8-)