• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MacGill - "Might outlast next spin generation"

Gangster

U19 12th Man
Slats4ever said:
everyone goes through bad form though tooextra. can't u understand that bowlers don't take pfeiffers every innings they play? During this time admittedly stuie wasn't bowling his best.... But now he's back in to it and he's as dangerous as ever. If anyone says STuart McGill isn't a worlc class bowler who'd waltz into any other international side... have rocks in their head
I don't think he'd walk onto the Indian, Sri Lankan or English teams.

Yes, he'd walk on to the Bangladeshi, Zimbabwean, West Indian, Pakistani and New Zealand teams.

I don't know if he'd take Boje's place at the moment.

Gangster

U19 12th Man
thierry henry said:
I saw most of MacGill's bowling at Sydney and it looked pretty good to me...
Honestly, I think I would've taken a wicket or two against the lineup he was facing.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At least slats has a brain, more than i can say for most of you other people... Macgill is by far and a way better then Boje, and is also a better spinner than ashley giles.. so ofcourse he'd get into the team...

Macgill has had to put up with this 'crap balls get your wickets'... stuff all his career, how about for once you people sit back and admire him for what he is, one of the best strikers in the modern game

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
hahah no, he bowls loose deliveries every over, atleast once, and because of these loose balls he gives off all the pressure that other bowlers are applying.

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
you can only be outplayed if you bowl well though, something that he didnt do against india or SL. with 2 rubbish balls an over, he couldnt have bowled anything but poorly.
And like I said playing against those two teams that is a possibility.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
James90 said:
Richardson must forever be a shocker then and Hussain an all-time great
And if you wish to extend it to describe teams, then that would make England better than Australia in both forms. ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
benchmark00 said:
At least slats has a brain, more than i can say for most of you other people... Macgill is by far and a way better then Boje, and is also a better spinner than ashley giles.. so ofcourse he'd get into the team...

I don't think he would, because the role needed by an England spinner involves Economy (which MacGill doesn't really do), Fielding (which MacGill doesn't really do) and Batting (MacGill definitely doesn't do)

Josh

International Regular
benchmark00 said:

Macgill has had to put up with this 'crap balls get your wickets'... stuff all his career, how about for once you people sit back and admire him for what he is, one of the best strikers in the modern game
Well, I personally can't do that due to the arrogance he displays off-field. The things he says certainly turns me right off watching him, and plus he is a very loose bowler. Half the batsmen that go out to him probably do so because they're suprised he landed one in the right spot, that is the ones that don't go out of the rank fulltosses and half-trackers he seems to dish up every over.

Josh

International Regular
Mister Wright said:
Lucky catch & some stupid shots after going for 9 an over in his first 4 wasn't all that convincing performance.
It's called a fightback. It's what good bowlers do. :D

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
I don't think he would, because the role needed by an England spinner involves Economy (which MacGill doesn't really do), Fielding (which MacGill doesn't really do) and Batting (MacGill definitely doesn't do)
But instead of having a spinner used in a defensive type role you have an attacking strike bowler who oculd take wickets if you have Flintoff keeping it tight at the other end.

The problem would be is that lengthens England's tail, but I think Simon Jones could be a useful lower order batsman if he only learnt to use his feet. When Jones bats he looks like he has his feet stuck to the one spot.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
But instead of having a spinner used in a defensive type role you have an attacking strike bowler who oculd take wickets if you have Flintoff keeping it tight at the other end.

The problem would be is that lengthens England's tail, but I think Simon Jones could be a useful lower order batsman if he only learnt to use his feet. When Jones bats he looks like he has his feet stuck to the one spot.
I think England attack would be dramatically improved if they had someone like MacGill.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
marc71178 said:
I may think MacGill says plenty of stupid things, and rates himself higher than he really is (his excuse for bowling bad balls was stupid) but what you said is a joke. England would take MacGill immediately. He'd be much more effective taking wickets than Giles is at stopping runs. That way the reliance on the pace bowlers wouldn't be as much, and you'd actually have a chance on turners.

telsor

U19 12th Man
I think it's fairly clear that MacGill is the second best spinner Aus has right now.

I'd suggest that there is a fair gap between him and 'the rest', although 'the rest' tend to be young and have lots of talent/potential. Spinners take a long time to mature however, so these youngsters probably wont be hitting a good level for at least 5 years, probably more.

I can't remember how long Warne has said he's going to play for, but it wasn't that long, 2 or 3 years(?).

That leaves a fair gap, and if MacGill wants to fill it, great.

Hopefully one ( or more ) of the youngsters will be challenging for the spot, maybe they'll even be better than him by then, but until they are better, I, for one, will be glad to have MacGill hang around.

Competition for spots makes for a good team.

Josh

International Regular
Warne said he'll keep playing as long as he's enjoying the game, he just said it could be 2 years, it could be more, he won't know until it's time...

tooextracool

International Coach
Slats4ever said:
everyone goes through bad form though tooextra. can't u understand that bowlers don't take pfeiffers every innings they play? During this time admittedly stuie wasn't bowling his best.... But now he's back in to it and he's as dangerous as ever. If anyone says STuart McGill isn't a worlc class bowler who'd waltz into any other international side... have rocks in their head
why because of 1 game?
hes been bowling rubbish since the ashes series a while ago(apart from the odd game in the WI) hes been rubbish since. then he bowls well in one game on a blatant turner and all of a sudden hes world class

tooextracool

International Coach
Gangster said:
I don't think he'd walk onto the Indian, Sri Lankan or English teams.

Yes, he'd walk on to the Bangladeshi, Zimbabwean, West Indian, Pakistani and New Zealand teams.

I don't know if he'd take Boje's place at the moment.
i think pakistan would rather have kaneria than macgill.

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
And like I said playing against those two teams that is a possibility.
what? to bowl poorly? certainly there are no excuses to be made against SL when warne got so many wickets. personally macgill has no variety, he bowls the same bowl every over, and hes not even accurate when he bowls those.

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:
I may think MacGill says plenty of stupid things, and rates himself higher than he really is (his excuse for bowling bad balls was stupid) but what you said is a joke. England would take MacGill immediately. He'd be much more effective taking wickets than Giles is at stopping runs. That way the reliance on the pace bowlers wouldn't be as much, and you'd actually have a chance on turners.
and with giles we've been playing oh so miserably on turners havent we?