• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stuart Law granted British citizenship

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/JAN/150803_ENG_07JAN2005.html

Stuart Law, who played in the 1996 World Cup final for Australia, has been granted British citizenship following his decision to move to England permanently. He can counts as a non-overseas player in county cricket.

Law, 36, was the first player to captain Queensland to victory in the Sheffield Shield, in 1994-95 - a title they won five more times before he retired from Australian domestic cricket in 2003-04.

He had played for Essex for six summers before joining Lancashire in 2002, and has been one of the most productive overseas players. With 1833 runs in 1999, he was the leading runscorer in English domestic cricket, and only once in the last nine years has he failed to pass 1000 runs in a season.

Speaking from his home in Cheshire, Law said, "I'm glad that it's happened quickly and with no problems. I can now start the New Year and new season as an English player and hopefully in the long run benefit Lancashire."

Now he has a British passport Law could, in theory, play for England. With over 23,000 first-class runs at an average above 50, stranger things have happened. It is nearly six years since he played the last of his 54 ODIs for Australia, and he scored an undefeated 54 in his only Test innings

© Cricinfo

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Alas why of these great players that never truely got into the teamm, would be strange having him playing for england if it actually happend!

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England couldn't do worse than pick Stuart Law, as it would not really be a step forward for the future, but if he was picked, I'm sure he would do an outstanding job.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Only thing that would stop him playing for England is his age. Shame he didnt decide to move to England 10 years ago :P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Should there be a huge injury crisis in the batting leaving all ouf our experienced men out, it wouldn't surprise me.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
Should there be a huge injury crisis in the batting leaving all ouf our experienced men out, it wouldn't surprise me.
If England played for today instead of tomorrow, Law would be in there.. Quality batsman..

I can't see it ever happening though, like Goodwin playing for Australia as well

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Langeveldt said:
If England played for today instead of tomorrow, Law would be in there.. Quality batsman..

I can't see it ever happening though, like Goodwin playing for Australia as well
To be fair Goodwin is good four years younger than Law. &, of the regular Oz top 7, (which for the purposes of argument I'll assume to be Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Lehmann, Clarke & Gilchrist) only Clarke is below 30. I think (and admittedly this may just be because I have a birthday with a "3" at the start of it this year) that the Oz selectors are rightly more concerned with results in the here & now than building for a hypothetical future.

As for Stu Law, I'd have him as no 3 for the 4th test! :D

Marcus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
BoyBrumby said:
As for Stu Law, I'd have him as no 3 for the 4th test! :D
well anyone but butcher and key...but i cant believe a player that played for australia (although only once) has a UK passport.....and qualifies as a non oversees player...hes a class player...but how many more players that have played either country a matches or test matches be allowed UK passports and can qualify for playing for England......Pieterson....james Bryant and law are 3 of many...although they would be great players for England..the fact is they should play for there country of birth of long time origin..although old fashioned and a idea that wil be critised...is the idea of English players playing for england such a stupid idea?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Marcus said:
is the idea of English players playing for england such a stupid idea?
Guess it depends how broadly you define "English". Obviously Stu Law is an Aussie, I wouldn't dare claim otherwise; but players like Nasser Hussain (India) & Andrew Srauss (South Africa) weren't English born, but I reckon qualify as "English" by virtue of their upbringing in the mother country!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yes, it is a stupid idea :D

For one, find the last England team without a foreign-born player. I'm buggered if I know what it was. For two, the UK is a hugely multicultural society and we should be proud of that!

[DA]Blond hair and blue eyes next?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
England couldn't do worse than pick Stuart Law, as it would not really be a step forward for the future, but if he was picked, I'm sure he would do an outstanding job.

agree entirley, especially in those one dayers

Link

State Vice-Captain
Yeah like it was mentioned before, he is way too old to resurect his Test career, shame

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
agree entirley, especially in those one dayers
Erm, last I checked we'd had a good set of games in ODIs - lets face it, we beat Australia and not many sides do that!

Craig

World Traveller
First time in how many games though?

Hey if Usman Afzaal (sp?) can play for the England, then you never know.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Guess it depends how broadly you define "English". Obviously Stu Law is an Aussie, I wouldn't dare claim otherwise; but players like Nasser Hussain (India) & Andrew Srauss (South Africa) weren't English born, but I reckon qualify as "English" by virtue of their upbringing in the mother country!
And Basil D'Oliveira, Robin Smith, Allan Lamb et al were as English as the next man - because regardless of their upbringing and qualification, they were picked for England and gave their all when reprisenting us, which is all they can be asked to do.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Yes, it is a stupid idea :D

For one, find the last England team without a foreign-born player. I'm buggered if I know what it was. For two, the UK is a hugely multicultural society and we should be proud of that!
No, we should not "be proud" of it, we should positively revere it.
Anyone hankering for 100%-flaxen-haired Anglo-Saxon\Celt make-up of the English team (in whatever sport) is starting the slippery-slope - if you're trying your best for England, you're English, far as I'm concerned - simple as.
Sure Jesse will agree if he sees this. :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
And Basil D'Oliveira, Robin Smith, Allan Lamb et al were as English as the next man
If the next man is born & raised in South Africa...

I'm not saying there is any moral or ethical superiority in being English-born or English-raised, but there has to be a difference.

I'm Irish enough to play for the Ireland Football or Rugby team (maternal grandfather Irish), but it doesn't make me Irish!