• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asim Kamal - what the?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
and abdul razzaq retains his place in the side thanks to the brilliant batting average of 15 and bowling average of 43 this series.
Because simply I think he's got more potential in Test-cricket than Shoaib Malik has ever had.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ReallyCrazy said:
IMO they should also have Taufeeq Umar in mind. I feel he has the potential to become a good test player.
If he learns how to score runs against anyone other than the Southern African nations, that is.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Because simply I think he's got more potential in Test-cricket than Shoaib Malik has ever had.
and after 30 tests hes proved you right hasnt he? amazing isnt it, chopra didnt deserve more than 10 tests and razzaq, no clearly he deserves 50

bryce

International Regular
i've never rated malik as a batsman - mainly because of this,

Malik's Test Batting in Asia - 325 runs@40.62
Malik's Test Batting Elsewhere - 47 runs@23.50 (only one test though)

Malik's ODI Batting in Asia - 1720 runs@40.95
Malik's ODI Batting Elsewhere - 309 runs@14.71

if he learns how to bat outside of Asia then maybe he could be good enough to hold down a test spot

redbaron

Cricket Spectator
Richard said:
If he learns how to score runs against anyone other than the Southern African nations, that is.
he has scored a 88 against australia.

Having watched almost every ball pakistani cricket team has played over the last 8-10 years. i can convincingly say malik is a fine batsmen as is kamal and they both are great finds. Richard Rash i cant beleive u say malik has no potential at test level-that is unbeleivable, have even seen him play recently rather than just cricinfo scores....just look at his 41 at the mcg against the best bowling attack in the world with stitches in his split webbing between his thumb and index finger.

my line up would go like this(assuming everyone is fit)

1. Salman Butt
2. Yasir
3. Inzi
4. Youhana
5. Kamal
6. Malik
7. Akmal
8. Gul
9. Shabbir
10. Akthar
11. Kaneria
12. Younis Khan(comes in whenever someone is out of form and therefore has a chance to prove himself a permanent spot)

redbaron

Cricket Spectator
bryce said:
i've never rated malik as a batsman - mainly because of this,

Malik's Test Batting in Asia - 325 runs@40.62
Malik's Test Batting Elsewhere - 47 runs@23.50 (only one test though)

Malik's ODI Batting in Asia - 1720 runs@40.95
Malik's ODI Batting Elsewhere - 309 runs@14.71

if he learns how to bat outside of Asia then maybe he could be good enough to hold down a test spot
Maliks batting has tremendously improved since woolmer came and until yet he hasnt had a chance to prove himself much but;
videcon series-vs india- 68(67)
vs australia- 36(58)
icc champs trophy
vs india-5(7)
semi-17(58)

so hes done alrite, but im sure if he is fit he will definitely feature in the test team.

bryce

International Regular
i'll be interested to see how he bats in the VB series given that he will most likely slot in at 3

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
and after 30 tests hes proved you right hasnt he? amazing isnt it, chopra didnt deserve more than 10 tests and razzaq, no clearly he deserves 50
Suggest a better man for the position than Razzaq and I'd gladly consider him.
Right now I'm simply saying he's far better than Malik.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
bryce said:
i'll be interested to see how he bats in the VB series given that he will most likely slot in at 3
Given the strength of the Australian and West Indian attacks I'd not be certain of success, really.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Potential means nothing if a person cannot convert it into decent figures.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nope - but equally it's better than no potential at all, which IMO is what Shoaib Malik has in Tests.

thierry henry

International Coach
Razzaq has a tonne of ability. His ODI figures show that he can be a more than capable bowler (a lot of bowlers have decent ODI figures, I admit- I think that the likes of Agarkar and Sami have been ok at ODI level but have a much poorer average in tests). Most of all though, he is a very good batsman imo, and he is still young. I think his batting is worth persisting with for a while yet.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've always felt that way - nonetheless the time has to be pretty soon - 30 Tests is indeed a lot.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ive been VERY impressed by Malik from what I have seen.

He is a fine batsman, however I dont think he could make the Pakistan team on his batting alone over the players in contention, and he has been advised by the ICC to stop bowling for the time being, so the ideal Pakistan side in my eyes would be:

1. SALMAN Butt
2. YASIR Hameed
3. YOUNIS Khan
4. Yousuf YOUHANA
5. INZAMAM-ul-Haq
6. ASIM Kamal
7. Abdul RAZZAQ
8. MOIN Khan
9. Shoaib AKHTAR
10. SHABBIR Ahmad
11. Danish KANERIA

Sami being dropped in just common sence IMO, and with Malik not bowling, he shouldnt be in the full strength lineup.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I agree with most of that (still not completely convinced about Hameed but he certainly played well this Test) but how on Earth you could prefer Rana Naved-Ul-Hasan to Shabbir is beyond me.
R NUH has to be one of the worst bowlers I've ever seen at international-level - albeit capable of bowling some extraordinary deliveries such as the Langer one.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To tell you the truth I had forgotten all about Shabbir.

He has had injury problems, then chucking problems, then more injury problems..... I put him in the Shane Bond category.

But if he was fit, and his action was sorted out, I would certainly have him in the team. He certainly impressed me against New Zealand.

bryce

International Regular
umar gul is much better bowler than shabbir IMO, but i'll give you the benefit of the count in case you forgot him too , also i don't think you can play razzaq as the fourth bowler

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
bryce said:
umar gul is much better bowler than shabbir IMO, but i'll give you the benefit of the count in case you forgot him too , also i don't think you can play razzaq as the fourth bowler
I rate Shabbir over Umar Gul, but speaking of Umar Gul, whatever happened to him? Is he injurred of just out of favour with the Pakistani selectors?

bryce

International Regular
nah he hasn't been dropped, he was just starting to hit his straps then he was injured, he is due back no sooner than august 2005 with 3 stress fractures in his spine which doesn't sound too good at all