• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Cricketers since Warney's debut

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Two:

Sachin Tendulkar - India v Pakistan, Gujranwala, 18 December 1989
Sanath Jayasuriya - Sri Lanka v Australia, Melbourne, 26 December 1989

Tillakaratne made his debut in 1986, but hasn't been playing ODIs for 1.5 years, so I assume he's retired.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tillikeratne retired after the Cherry Blossom Cup immidiately following WC2003. He's now retired completely, I think from domestic cricket too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
thierry henry said:
So Sachin is the only test player left from the 80s?? Are there any ODI players left from the 80s (Cairns made his ODI debut in 1990/91 I think)?
Given that the '80s is now a decade-and-a-half ago, it's not really that surprising, is it???? :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Richard said:
Well, the name does matter - you need to distinguish between tournaments!
But no one remembers the names of tournaments. Seriously you remember the Videocon Cup/Cups whenever they occured and who played in them, the siyaram's Cup etc?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Richard said:
Well I only remember most of the ones since 1999\2000.
Exactly why its easier to identfy tournies by years and teams involved as the name hanges every year. MOST people dont remember one off tournament names. Some popular ones like Hero Cup of 1994 and Titan Cup of 96 (which contained AUs-Saf and Ind - see I need to mention the name to clear it to people who may not play in it) and more distinct.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
OK THEN!!! :laugh:
The Cherry Blosson Cup of April 2003, of the 2002\03 season, involving Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Zimbabwe and Kenya.
Happy now? :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Richard said:
OK THEN!!! :laugh:
The Cherry Blosson Cup of April 2003, of the 2002\03 season, involving Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Zimbabwe and Kenya.
Happy now? :)
Totally :) I am dancing naked in the streets shoutin Eureka Eureka!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Players who made their debuts before Warne and still playing
- Sachin, Cairns & Tilakratne.
Last two may have played their last tests.

- Kumble, Lara, Atapattu & Moin
(Moin may not play again)

- Jayasuriya

1992Warne debut in tests on 2nd Jan 1992. Four others made their debuts same year but after Warne. Martyn, Murali, Inzemaam and Rashid Latif. Latif not likely to play again.

The picture is different in ODI's. Warne made his debut 14 months later. For example, Martyn and Inzemam had already played ODI's.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
Martyn before Warne in ODIs? That is interesting.
Martyn made his debut in December 1992 vs Windies and Warne in March next year vs Kiwis

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
honestbharani said:
lol...I guess Warne didn't look all that tempting as a strike bowler in ODIs for Australia for one whole year.
He was this fat Chubby guy who was smasehd by Shastri and Tendulkar back then :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
He was this fat Chubby guy who was smasehd by Shastri and Tendulkar back then :D
Not to forget Siddhu who really took him to the cleaners.