• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowden

Scallywag

Banned
Having recieved a umpires signal chart it shows that B Bowdens signals are not quite what the ICC regards as umpires signals.

I know it sounds pedantic but if he can stretch the laws to add a bit of flair to the game at the same time as the ICC is telling the players that they have to abide by the laws.

I dont think the umpires need to come up with ways to make themselves stand out and should be looking to do what good umpires do and thats not be noticed.

I have no problem with Bowdens umpiring but it could snowball with umpires trying to be entertainers and forget the real reason they are there. The line will need to be drawn at some stage and maybe its best for cricket to nip it in the bud.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I enjoy Billy Bowden's actions and I think he's a fine umpire, I have no problem with it

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Bowden knows the rules of the game very well IMO. Not that other umpires do not. But what he did today was exceptional. Hayden was wasting time and he made it a point to remind him that it is within the cricket rules that a batsman has to be ready when a bowler is bowling.

In another instance today itself, he was talking with Shephard at square leg when Akhtar was going back to his run up to ball. Bowden literally ran behind the wicket to ensure that he was ready before Akhtar was ready to bowl.

His entertainment isnt disruptive and so I dont see any problem with it either. A good umpire must make the right decisions and shouldnt insult the profession. He doesnt do either and has my upmost respect.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
I have no problem with Bowdens umpiring but it could snowball with umpires trying to be entertainers and forget the real reason they are there. The line will need to be drawn at some stage and maybe its best for cricket to nip it in the bud.
Agreed - for the first time I think.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Scallywag said:
Having recieved a umpires signal chart it shows that B Bowdens signals are not quite what the ICC regards as umpires signals.

I know it sounds pedantic but if he can stretch the laws to add a bit of flair to the game at the same time as the ICC is telling the players that they have to abide by the laws.

I dont think the umpires need to come up with ways to make themselves stand out and should be looking to do what good umpires do and thats not be noticed.

It is harmless. As long as he continues to umpire well it doesn't bother me. It brings life to the game.

Sehwag309

Banned
Scallywag said:

..althought a completely different aspect but have lotta similarities

I was living in Rhode Island, USA and there was this cop who used to dance like Michael Jackson to control the traffic, this small intersection had no lights so he used to take upon himself to do the job with his own style and flair

Its not i the rule book, but it had a very good effect in addition to the crowd he generated

Dacning Cop

Sehwag309

Banned
Scallywag said:

..althought a completely different aspect but have lotta similarities

I was living in Rhode Island, USA and there was this cop who used to dance like Michael Jackson to control the traffic, this small intersection had no lights so he used to take upon himself to do the job with his own style and flair

Its not in the rule book, but it had a very good effect in addition to the crowd he generated

Really something to watch, expecially the moon walk

http://www.providencedancingcop.com/

Dancing Cop

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So long as he gets the decisions right, I don't think anyone can complain, but if he starts to make wrong calls whilst still making the same hand signals, then I think something is up.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
I thought he had arthritis which explained the bent finger signals..
Thats what i heard too, and also why he couldn't play cricket anymore himself

shaka

International Regular
Bowden IMO is a good umpire who hardly gets anything wrong. The entertainment factor brings int he crowds.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
I don't think the crowds really show up to watch Bowden umpire!
Characters are always better for the game, and ultimately have a positive impact on the game and the crowds. We have a thread on Bowden. I doubt we would have one on Cyril Mitchley.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You're correct in that he got arthritis that stopped him playing - but not correct in that he's physically unable to straighten his finger, that's just a joke.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:

I see what you mean with regards expecting everyone to follow the rules.
Guess the best thing to do would be to relax the rules on signals.
Given that no-one really has a problem with his signalling or decision-making.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Characters are always better for the game, and ultimately have a positive impact on the game and the crowds. We have a thread on Bowden. I doubt we would have one on Cyril Mitchley.

But that doesn't answer my question at all.

The only person I know who would go to a game just to watch an umpire is Eyes.