Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowden

Banned

Bowden

Having recieved a umpires signal chart it shows that B Bowdens signals are not quite what the ICC regards as umpires signals.

I know it sounds pedantic but if he can stretch the laws to add a bit of flair to the game at the same time as the ICC is telling the players that they have to abide by the laws.

I dont think the umpires need to come up with ways to make themselves stand out and should be looking to do what good umpires do and thats not be noticed.

I have no problem with Bowdens umpiring but it could snowball with umpires trying to be entertainers and forget the real reason they are there. The line will need to be drawn at some stage and maybe its best for cricket to nip it in the bud.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    He's not hurting anyone and everyone can understand his signals. Fine by me.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

I enjoy Billy Bowden's actions and I think he's a fine umpire, I have no problem with it
    Stedders' Supported XI
    Tamim Iqbal, JA Burns, UT Khawaja, *SPD Smith, Shakib Al Hasan, C de Grandhomme, +AT Carey, PJ Cummins, Rashid Khan, Mustafizur Rahman, JP Behrendorff.

RIP Fardin. RIP Craigos. RIP Prince.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Bowden knows the rules of the game very well IMO. Not that other umpires do not. But what he did today was exceptional. Hayden was wasting time and he made it a point to remind him that it is within the cricket rules that a batsman has to be ready when a bowler is bowling.

In another instance today itself, he was talking with Shephard at square leg when Akhtar was going back to his run up to ball. Bowden literally ran behind the wicket to ensure that he was ready before Akhtar was ready to bowl.

His entertainment isnt disruptive and so I dont see any problem with it either. A good umpire must make the right decisions and shouldnt insult the profession. He doesnt do either and has my upmost respect.

Bowden, Great for the game
    - This is Your Life...Are You Who You Want to Be -

His leg bye signal makes me **** myself laughing.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    I have no problem with Bowdens umpiring but it could snowball with umpires trying to be entertainers and forget the real reason they are there. The line will need to be drawn at some stage and maybe its best for cricket to nip it in the bud.
    Agreed - for the first time I think.

I thought he had arthritis which explained the bent finger signals..
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

Having recieved a umpires signal chart it shows that B Bowdens signals are not quite what the ICC regards as umpires signals.

I know it sounds pedantic but if he can stretch the laws to add a bit of flair to the game at the same time as the ICC is telling the players that they have to abide by the laws.

I dont think the umpires need to come up with ways to make themselves stand out and should be looking to do what good umpires do and thats not be noticed.

It is harmless. As long as he continues to umpire well it doesn't bother me. It brings life to the game.

Banned

..althought a completely different aspect but have lotta similarities

I was living in Rhode Island, USA and there was this cop who used to dance like Michael Jackson to control the traffic, this small intersection had no lights so he used to take upon himself to do the job with his own style and flair

Its not i the rule book, but it had a very good effect in addition to the crowd he generated

Dacning Cop

Banned

..althought a completely different aspect but have lotta similarities

I was living in Rhode Island, USA and there was this cop who used to dance like Michael Jackson to control the traffic, this small intersection had no lights so he used to take upon himself to do the job with his own style and flair

Its not in the rule book, but it had a very good effect in addition to the crowd he generated

Really something to watch, expecially the moon walk

http://www.providencedancingcop.com/

Dancing Cop
    Last edited by Sehwag309; 02-01-2005 at 11:21 PM.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    So long as he gets the decisions right, I don't think anyone can complain, but if he starts to make wrong calls whilst still making the same hand signals, then I think something is up.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja moo
    I thought he had arthritis which explained the bent finger signals..
    Thats what i heard too, and also why he couldn't play cricket anymore himself
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

Bowden IMO is a good umpire who hardly gets anything wrong. The entertainment factor brings int he crowds.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I don't think the crowds really show up to watch Bowden umpire!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information