• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Has 20Twenty Cricket Been A Success?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Why Has Twenty20 Cricket Been A Success?

Twenty20 cricket has introduced a new type of audience and a tenfold increase in county attendances. Some reasons for this might be...

- More Aggressive Marketing
- Free Tickets For Kids
- Less Intellectual Matches Aimed At The More Voluminous Lower Classes
- Live Music
- Convenient Start Times For Parents

What other reasons can you identify?

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hating to sound like a pompous purist, but your third point, I think, is one of, if not the, main reasons. The games are mainly for those who enjoy cricket but are not prepared to sit down for a whole day and watch a test, or an ODI.
It's also aimed at the younger generation who are just starting to like cricket, so that they can watch maybe a three hour game without getting overwhlemed, and then still go out and do something with their friends. Even for those completely unaware that cricket existed, anyone can appreciate a ball being whacked out of the stadium, whereas they probably couldn't appreciate a duel between a batsman and a bowler, especially if the bowler was keeping the batsman tied down so that he couldn't score.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I agree, it's cricket for the MTV generation; fast food as opposed to a more satisfying five-course banquet.

On the plus side, it could be viewed as a kind of Trojan Horse; get the kids hooked on a quick fix of cricket before introducing them to the harder stuff!! :)

andyc

^lmao. could just see some shady guy in a dark alley selling kids cricket balls or gloves.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
As a pompous purist MCC Member, I think it ridiculous to categorise 20-20 as undemanding entertainment for an ignorant generation. I'd be happy to apply that description to the moronic nonsense of 50-over cricket, which is a really dull, really predictable form of the game ideally suited to mediocre players who can nudge and nurdle a bit and turn their arms over for a few harmless overs.

Success at 20-20 cricket involves high skills and the ability to turn it on at once: it's the distilled essence of the game in a powerful shot.

Great Test cricket is like vintage wine, and 20-20 is the brandy distilled from it. 50-over nonsense is cheap sherry, probably from Cyprus.

Cheers,

Mike

Scaly piscine

I think most of the success stems from the duration of the game, even as a cricket fan it's hard work paying full attention to a County game for 6 hours. I also think the marketing of Twenty20 has been good, they've made it 'cooler' than your standard 40-50 over game or 4 day game. So essentially Twenty20 is a different brand of cricket from the others and doesn't come with the same stigma.

Marcus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
sledger but is it and will it kill the traditional side to the game?....

thats what the ecb said when the first world cup was started...the ecb said it would be a threat to the game....well look whats happened over the last 30 years !!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only threat to the traditional game is SKY and there exclusive rights to cricket from the 2006 season.....as for the twenty20 its a great game that draws in crowds and is one of the only times in a season when you see grounds like the Somerset County Ground packed 2 hours before the game kicks off......I agree kids shoiuld get in free...but the froamt of next season is slightly confussing with the introduction of home and away derby games....you could have tooo much of a good thing amnd i believe the format of playing 1/2 the teams at home one year and 1/2 the next worked well. I personally luv the game and yes as a substitute to the 4 day game its excellent although it could never replace it.....as a competition it works brilliantly and will attract more people to the games and it has done in the, in this aim. 20 20 cricket is definatly a vintage bottle of wine if we are quoting the ratings from badgerhair lol :D

Scaly piscine

I still think they'll get at least the same crowds for the group games, look at Middlesex who finally played at home (Lord's) and had a full house for what was a dead rubber for Middlesex. I just think the new format of 8 games is needlessly complicated and contrived (smacks of 'the middle way'). If MIddlesex play 4 games at Lord's this year that'll boost the average attendance by itself.

As an aside if Twenty20 was further along it's evolutionary course internationally it would be perfect for playing benefit games that will be played after the tsunami disaster.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
On the plus side, it could be viewed as a kind of Trojan Horse; get the kids hooked on a quick fix of cricket before introducing them to the harder stuff!! :)
You won't get that, rest assured.
No form of cricket will attract to the other.
Same way the Sunday\National League never attracts anyone to the Championship.
Domestic-First-Class-cricket is not a spectator sport and never will be again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
Twenty20 cricket has introduced a new type of audience and a tenfold increase in county attendances. Some reasons for this might be...

- More Aggressive Marketing
- Free Tickets For Kids
- Less Intellectual Matches Aimed At The More Voluminous Lower Classes
- Live Music
- Convenient Start Times For Parents

What other reasons can you identify?
None, really.
Don't think the music has had too much influence myself - the most important has been the start-time as far as I can tell.
Better marketing and free tickets (always helpful, those!) are the next most relevant if I'm right.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
it is a massive generalisation yes, but there is foundation on which it is based, it is attempting to attract people to the sport who have not the patience for the longer versions of the game ,this is not neccesarily saying its trying to attract people with lower intelligence, but if we are being sceptical....

bah! besides i'm more than happy to sit down and watch test, 50 overs or 20 twenty really, although to be honest test has been and always will be the best form of entertainment in a cricketing sense from my point of view. it is the hardest form of the game that requires the most skill and ability in which only the best players can ever excel in.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
I can't believe you can possibly write something like that.
There can be little doubt you could say the same for most of the drivel that comes out of this pompous members mouth. But as Andyc and sledger have shown there is a sound basis for my point, and I for one would far rather face facts and get to the bottom of this issue than be politically correct in order to please Council estate rabble.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
a massive zebra said:
There can be little doubt you could say the same for most of the drivel that comes out of this pompous members mouth. But as Andyc and sledger have shown there is a sound basis for my point, and I for one would far rather face facts and get to the bottom of this issue than be politically correct in order to please Council estate rabble.
Have you any experience of spending time amongst the "rabble"?

Langeveldt

Soutie
a massive zebra said:
What college do you hail from my dear old chap?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
What college do you hail from my dear old chap?
Lol I am not an Eton toff if that was what you were thinking, just a generalising fool, and your family are far posher than mine if the rumours are anything to go by. :)

Last edited: