• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Has 20Twenty Cricket Been A Success?

Langeveldt

Soutie
a massive zebra said:
Good, as you say, why appologise for having a successful family? :)
My point entirely.. My grandad was a tin miner and railwayman in Cornwall... I am immensely grateful for my private school education, and where my family is now, and not for one second will apologise for it.. Nothing like a few generations of bloody hard graft..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
a massive zebra said:
But if there were the same proportion of intelligent people amongst all social classes would the highly intelligent 'common' people not make something of their lives and improve their social class? Intelligence is inherited and if your parents are of a higher class they have probably been reasonably successful, which implies they should have above average intelligence, and then then pass this on to their children. Working class parents are by defintion less successful and for this very reason are likely to be less intelligent, and their children inherit less able minds.

If the above passage is rubbish then can you please explain why private school children get far better exam results than state school pupils, and why school results in leafy suburbs are nearly always much higher than those in run down inner city areas.
I think the two words a) "funding" and b) "attitudes" probably answer the second paragraph fairly succinctly. Eton pupils pay tuition fees of £18,000+ per year. The government funding of a state secondary equates to around £3,500 per pupil. Now, to me, that suggest that there's going to be a slightly superior standard of facilities at the independent school (something manifested painfully clearly in sports facilities - Canford in Dorset has 10 outdoor nets, 6 indoor nets and 6 grass wickets, my old school in Lincolnshire had no nets and a grass wicket where 60 all out was a damn good total and we skittled three teams in a row for sub-30).

Plus, results never have been a great indicator of ablity. A child living in a deprived area of a city with multiple siblings and one parent doesn't inhabit an atmosphere that's conducive to learning and performance, whereas Mr and Mrs Middle Class will expect their child to work and achieve. It's not for fluke that state school kids with equivalent A Levels out-perform private school kids at degree level, once resources are evened out performance is suddenly no longer skewed.

Plus, not everyone values "making something" of their life to be making money and "improving" your "social status" - some people don't fancy being associated with others who judge people on their bank balance.

I assume you're all familiar with the Harry Potter series. If not... children, school, four houses, magically sorted into them. I'm probably not the only person in the world who hypothetically allocates people into the four houses when thinking along the lines of socio-psychological analysis (i.e. working out what kind of person they are). Anyway, to quote...

The Sorting Hat said:
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.
It usually doesn't take knowing a person for too long to be able to fairly accurately hypothesise an allocation. I am getting to a point, honestly, don't press the "back" button yet. Anyway, the Slytherin-like attitudes of endemic intolerance of those perceived 'intrisically genetically inferior' to oneself either are the easiest to pick and disturbingly common, equally amongst the upper class (viz this thread) and the "chav culture".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Trust Neil to use Great Literature to make his point. :)
There is some good stuff on the morals of life in there, though - epitomised by Prof Dumbledore and his Sorting Hat.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah, nothing like using Canford School as an example..

My school (350 pupils) has hosted Zimbabwe and Pakistan training sessions, as well as a Womans ODI against New Zealand.. Producing the likes of Roger Twose and Richard Harden

There is a state run (2000 pupils) right opposite us. I don't think it has a dedicated cricket pitch.

Enough said

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Although, and this is drifting even further off topic, I think Andy Strauss is the only ex-public schoolboy (Radley?) in the current England set-up. So with 7% (approx) of population going to private schools there isn't an over-representation in the top echelon of English cricket, despite superior facilities.

I think the Hollioakes, Nas Hussain & James Kirtley of recent vintage were also ex-PSBs too.

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
My point entirely.. My grandad was a tin miner and railwayman in Cornwall... I am immensely grateful for my private school education, and where my family is now, and not for one second will apologise for it.. Nothing like a few generations of bloody hard graft..

....on which for you to ride :D

You make out that you have personally felt the aching bones of long hours of said graft.

I have nothing against that, as long as you appreciate how lucky you have been,and also appreciate that much of the future success(what ever that may be) that you may have could be simply put down to your family being able to provide you with financial leg up. you seem to be the kind of person that realises this and appreciate that just because someone doesnt have such a lucky break early in life doesnt make them any less intelligent or worthy in life.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that Mr Zebra (judging by his incredibly blinkered views previously) wouldnt be abile to show such humility

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
a massive zebra said:
But if there were the same proportion of intelligent people amongst all social classes would the highly intelligent 'common' people not make something of their lives and improve their social class? Intelligence is inherited and if your parents are of a higher class they have probably been reasonably successful, which implies they should have above average intelligence, and then then pass this on to their children. Working class parents are by defintion less successful and for this very reason are likely to be less intelligent, and their children inherit less able minds.

What a rubbish...

In my view all people have enough intelligence to make it to the top,all that is required is proper application of the brain and hard-work...Sheer intelligence is required only if you want to become an Einstein or Newton or something like that

All the stuff about children inheriting intelligence from parents is just crap...it doesn't even deserve a reply,dunno why I did.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
I wonder how many times people have to keep being told that this doesn't matter.
That's right...but still back to the topic,I'd just like to say that 20/20 is the best thing to have happened to Cricket right now for its expansion and its commercial value.

Maybe its just me but I'd like to see one whole 20/20 game than some of the overs of each innings of an ODI...Maybe they should scrap the 50-over format and just have Test matches and 20/20 games

Langeveldt

Soutie
Swervy said:
....on which for you to ride :D

You make out that you have personally felt the aching bones of long hours of said graft.

I have nothing against that, as long as you appreciate how lucky you have been,and also appreciate that much of the future success(what ever that may be) that you may have could be simply put down to your family being able to provide you with financial leg up. you seem to be the kind of person that realises this and appreciate that just because someone doesnt have such a lucky break early in life doesnt make them any less intelligent or worthy in life.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that Mr Zebra (judging by his incredibly blinkered views previously) wouldnt be abile to show such humility
Fair enough.. Tbh I haven't "seen" any of that money and do a 40 hour week in the holidays so I can pay for my Pilots licence and going back to South Africa.. I'm close to my target, but I probably don't get any more of a leg up in my career than the next person, unless you count a private school education to be a major leg up, which it shouldn't be?...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Fair enough.. Tbh I haven't "seen" any of that money and do a 40 hour week in the holidays so I can pay for my Pilots licence and going back to South Africa.. I'm close to my target, but I probably don't get any more of a leg up in my career than the next person, unless you count a private school education to be a major leg up, which it shouldn't be?...
:nopity:

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
fair do's..however you are in a position whereby you can take more risks with these things..people from poorer backgrounds quite often just dont have that choice,no matter what talents and skills they may have...in that you work 40 hours a week to pay for pilots licence and going to SA...some 17/18/19 year olds have to work more than 40 hours a week just to be able to pay the rent...going to college or uni just isnt an option.

That isnt really directed at you Langevedt..more to massive zebra, tucked away at home in leafy Ilkley

Swervy

International Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Well the ones that make it to uni get a nice £12,000-£16,000 debt minimum to start with anyway.
which indeed discouarges the poorer people even further