• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** World XI v Asia XI

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The MCG will host a One Day game on January 10 with a World XI taking on an Asian XI to raise money for Earthquake & Tsunami (sp) disaster in Asia.

The Asian team could be led by Tendulkar and the world team could feature 6 Australians and players from the West Indies and New Zealand. England & South African players are not available due to test commitments.

Full Story

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
think that the asian cricket council wants another game between the same teams played in the subcontinent during february as well. maybe we need three games, don't want a drawn series.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
vic_orthdox said:
think that the asian cricket council wants another game between the same teams played in the subcontinent during february as well. maybe we need three games, don't want a drawn series.
I think they should play it in the places where the TV coverage and gate takings and sponsorship can bring in most revenue.

My personal feeling is one or two games in Australia and 1-2 games in Sharjah. Each of these games can utilise different players, so the same players wont be over utilised and it will give all players an opportunity to contribute and feel part of .

It would be great if they could play in England also, as more fund generating opportunity . But unless they can play it in an indoor arena, with the winter weather in the UK, there's no hope of that .

Last edited:

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
let's not get too carried away here. the reason the first one is in australia is because that is where a lot of the players will be coming from - australia, windies, pakistan, as well as from nz across the tasman, so with such short notice it's most ideal that it's in Australia.

It'll be interesting though to see how packed MCG is for it...

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
I hope the Trans Tasman Side is evenly split. It would be a shame if only one or two NZers made the cut. I wonder who picks the teams?

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard Rash said:
I hope the Trans Tasman Side is evenly split. It would be a shame if only one or two NZers made the cut. I wonder who picks the teams?
Steven Waugh and Sir Richard Hadlee are the selectors.

Obviously if they picked the side on Talent alone it would be quite heavly weighted in Australia's favor.. But I dont think New Zealand can honestly hope for more than 2 players..

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Crazy Sam said:
let's not get too carried away here. the reason the first one is in australia is because that is where a lot of the players will be coming from - australia, windies, pakistan, as well as from nz across the tasman, so with such short notice it's most ideal that it's in Australia.
The scale of death (over 130,000) and destruction (5-6 million people destitue) from the Tsunami is so massive, that there is no chance in hell, that any more games is going to result in anyone getting too carried away, mate !!

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Eclipse said:
Steven Waugh and Sir Richard Hadlee are the selectors.

Obviously if they picked the side on Talent alone it would be quite heavly weighted in Australia's favor.. But I dont think New Zealand can honestly hope for more than 2 players..
I dino about that Eclipse. NZ are a very good one day side. Vettori should def be there. As should Cairns and maybe Fleming at the expense of Hayden.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
i liked the idea of the ANZAC's versus the world better. this is basically it but how good's it going to be

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
The scale of death (over 130,000) and destruction (5-6 million people destitue) from the Tsunami is so massive, that there is no chance in hell, that any more games is going to result in anyone getting too carried away, mate !!
yes but i'm sure many of the teams have very busy schedules coming up so fitting in more than a few of these games will be a struggle. i just don't want people to be whinging on here saying that the ICC should've put on more games when there really is no space for them.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Crazy Sam said:
yes but i'm sure many of the teams have very busy schedules coming up so fitting in more than a few of these games will be a struggle.
All the Teams don't have packed schedules. Teams and players that are not busy and not occupied in International fixtures can be involved . And we are not talking of 10 -15 games, but merely 3-4 games rather than one alone !!

Crazy Sam said:
i just don't want people to be whinging on here saying that the ICC should've put on more games when there really is no space for them.
Nobody's whinging as far as I can see. Anyway its not for the ICC to organise these any way. Cricket boards can organise these by mutual agreement, since these are not official matches, but mere fund raisers .

And I repeat, only Teams that have space need be involved. Which is why different games can utilise different players.
Anyway, from what I gather India, SL and Pak cricket boards are trying to organise games as well .

Last edited:

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard Rash said:
I dino about that Eclipse. NZ are a very good one day side. Vettori should def be there. As should Cairns and maybe Fleming at the expense of Hayden.
Well Fleming would not make the aussie side as a batsman only Vettori and Cairns would.. given this is a world XI it's going to be hard to fit him in.

The thing is Warne has now said he is willing to play so he would get in ahead of Vettori and if Murili decides to play then so will he..

Carins is the only certain NZL player if you ask me or though one of Fleming or Vetorri will play i'm just not sure which one.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
It really does depend on the stance they take. Whether they pick the best players to win the game or give it a more festive feel with an even spread of players from both countries

bryce

International Regular
IMO warne shouldn't be considered since no one has a clue what his one day form is like, i can't help but having a crack at naming the teams :)

ICC XI (5 AUS, 3 NZ, 3 WI)

1.Gilchrist+
2.Gayle
3.Ponting*
4.Fleming
5.Lara
6.Sarwan
7.Symonds
8.Cairns
9.Vettori
10.Gillespie
11.McGrath

Asia XI (4 IND, 4 PAK, 3 SL)

1.Sehwag
2.Jayasuriya
3.Sangakarra+
4.Tendulkar
5.Ul-Haq
6.Ganguly*
7.Chandana
8.Pathan
9.Vaas
10.Sami
11.Akhtar

providing they pick the strongest sides possible(and players are fit) i think they will try to balance it out as much as possible with regards to players from each country as well as including all of the teams captains which is what i have done

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard Rash said:
It really does depend on the stance they take. Whether they pick the best players to win the game or give it a more festive feel with an even spread of players from both countries
I personally would favour the latter as this game is not for any major prize ! and if it is to be an ANZAC team and not an Australian Team it should be inclusive of players of both countries,IMO.

My slection would be

Gilchrist(Wicket keeper)
Fleming
Ponting (captain)
Martyn
Lehman
Cairns
Symonds/Oram
Oram/Vettori
Warne
Gillespie
McGrath

I picked this Team thinking it was to be an ANZAC eleven.
But if its to be a world XI (including WI) then,

Gilchrist (wicket keeper)
Gayle
Fleming
Lara
Ponting (capt)
Martyn
Cairns
Oram/Vettori
Warne
Gillespie
McGrath