• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** World XI v Asia XI

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
well, you can guarantee that an australian won't be, simply because of bias and wanting as many aussies as possible to get a crowd along. and with gayle and warne, will a third spinner be needed? but hadlee will fight for vettori, im sure.

i wouldnt be suprised if the 12th man were an west indian player, just heard anthony howard (feel free to correct me) who is the manager of the west indies conveyed concern about allowing their players to take part so close to the VB series, for fear of injury. thankfully lara made it fairly clear that he and his compatriots were keen to play.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
i'm devastated that i have to play cricket that week. cant get along and support what is a wonderful concept.

*puts tongue firmly in cheek* maybe someone should get together with a bookie and accept money for riggin the game, and donate the proceeds to the victims. *pulls tongue away* ah well, they'll make it close anyways, just like the one where bevan made runs.

but seriously, i hope that a good game is put on, that is a great spectacle for the fans because im sure that htis game would attract some attnetion from those countries where cricket is still only developing, and that the mcg wicket is a bit better than the one that they produced for the test. it would be dreadful if it werent a sellout, especially considering the reduced capacity of the G.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
I doubt Gough will be 12th man given the distance he'd have travelled, and the 6 aussies will all play because there's a better chance of a sell out with more aussies playing. I'd say Vettori will do 12th man duties. good team though.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I would say Vettori will be 12th man in Australia and Gough would be 12th man in Asia.

Interesting who will fill each batting position with Gayle, Hayden & Gilchrist all being openers and Ponting/Fleming both number 3's.

Perhaps something like this:

Matthew Hayden (Australia)
Adam Gilchrist (Australia)
Chris Gayle (West Indies)
Stephen Fleming (New Zealand)
Ricky Ponting (Australia)
Brian Lara (West Indies)
Chris Cairns (New Zealand)
Dwayne Bravo (West Indies)
Shane Warne (Australia)
Darren Gough (England)
Glenn McGrath (Australia)

12th man - Daniel Vettori (New Zealand)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Having the 4 selectors (one each from each country) is not a good way to selecting an Asian XI IMO. Why not follow the World XI example and appoint say Sunil Gavaskar and Wasim Akram as selectors *** Managers for the Asian XI .

Ganguly on current form shouldn't get anywhere near the Asian XI . Tendulkar can do the job better or Dravid , IMO.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:
As I had previously suggested, Darren Gough does come in as he was not playing in the Eng V SA test series, and is worthy of any top ODI teams in the world.

I can assure you he's not.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
bryce said:
yeah it's weird how the whole top six normally open or bat at three

Which is a strange one IMO - is it better to pick players in unusual positions or is it better to pick someone used to doing the role?

Sehwag309

Banned
marc71178 said:
Was that intentional as if to say "D'oh!" for picking Gough?
Oh!, Didn't realize that, I guess I was writing Daniel Vettori, or Darren and then just wrote Dough, instead of D. Gough

Edited

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
depends on how you wish to pick the team. a class number three is still going to bat well at 6. and often a quality number 6 can bat well at 3, proven by the natural progression of a number of players up the order through their career.

and of course most teams will have their best players up the order to maximise their opportunity to score in ODIs.

but this team was picked with entertainment and crowd pulling ability in mind, especially wiht steve waugh as a selector (see his all time aus XI for proof of how highly he rates being a drawcard in terms of selection). and the more popular the players selected, the greater the crowd and therefore more money that can be donated. so the big names like ponting and lara will always play, even if they hadn't have deserved selection (which im not saying that they didn't)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
I can assure you he's not.
while i agree that he's not, i think its fantastic that he's come across to play. his general enthusiasm for the game is well respected on these shores, and i think its important to have at least one representative from the motherland.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Eclipse said:
Well Fleming would not make the aussie side as a batsman only Vettori and Cairns would.. given this is a world XI it's going to be hard to fit him in.

The thing is Warne has now said he is willing to play so he would get in ahead of Vettori and if Murili decides to play then so will he..

Carins is the only certain NZL player if you ask me or though one of Fleming or Vetorri will play i'm just not sure which one.

Wouldn't Murali be in the Asian XI?