• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ ODI All Time XI

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
With NZ doing well in ODI's at the moment i thought it would be interesting to see how many of the current team would make a NZ ODI All Time XI. My team would be

1)N.Astle
2)M.Greatbatch
3)S.Fleming (vc)
4)M.Crowe (c)
5)G.Turner
6)C.Cairns
7)R.Hadlee
8)I.Smith
9)G.Larsen
10)D.Vettori
11)S.Bond

Obviously i have excluded the likes of Bert Sucliffe because they never played ODI's

Kent

State 12th Man
Hard to argue much with that side IMO, although Greatbatch may be trading on his folk hero status during the '92 WC seeing his final ave. was about 28.

I'd probably give Turner his more typical opening spot, putting Roger Twose or (maybe in a year or two) Hamish Marshall in my middle-order.

I'd like to think McCullum can eventually take Smith's place and add depth to the batting, but he doesn't really have the record to justify it yet. As it is, 7-11 are still pretty handy without quite being first-rate international batsmen.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Yes on second thoughts i would do exactly what you suggested and put Twose in at five and open with Turner. Forgot about twosey

bryce

International Regular
i'd probaly have either chirs pringle, ewen chatfield or danny morrison over gavin larsen , otherwise there's not alot to i'd argue about

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
cric_manic said:
G.Allot ?
Well I think Bond and Hadlee would be satisfactory with the new ball and with Cairns, Larsen and Vettori to bowl through the middle stages and posibly a fully fit Astle there is no need for Allot. I picked Larsen over Allot, Pringle, Chatfield or Morrison because you need some one to toil away in those middle overs and he had an exceptional RPO

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah, pringle was always a good bowler at the death.
Why him? In his Test career, he had one very good match, where he got 7 wickets in an innings against Pakistan, after scratching the ball, but otherwise, he averaged 37!

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Arjun said:
Why him? In his Test career, he had one very good match, where he got 7 wickets in an innings against Pakistan, after scratching the ball, but otherwise, he averaged 37!
like bryce said, this is about odis. and it was the whole team that was scratching the ball, not just pringle. the pakistanis were doing it too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He might not have played too many ODIs, but I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Bev Congdon at all. He'd probably be my pick as skipper.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
ReallyCrazy said:
I looked at your team and the name that first came up in my mind was Roger Twose. You dont have him there.
If you read the coments someone has already pointed that out so i agreed that i would change Greatbatch with Twose and put him at five elevating Turner to open

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
What about Cairns senior as a possible alternative to Gavin Larsen.

I have heard that he was considered a good allrounder and scored more runs than Larsen, although I am sure Larsen probably was a better Economical bowler who could even bowl at the death.

Some one could tell us what Cairns senior's economy rate, batting averages etc. were .

But generalyl RR's Team looks good.

Last edited:

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
What about Mark Richardson?

Seriously though, that team looks pretty strong, just needs Twose and, maybe, Allot.

Kent

State 12th Man
BoyBrumby said:
He might not have played too many ODIs, but I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Bev Congdon at all. He'd probably be my pick as skipper.
He only played 11 games, but his average and SR (for the time) are impressive.
http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/PLAYERS/NZ/C/CONGDON_BE_05001251/

I think one of the reasons his name hasn't been mentioned is that he didn't play an ODI until he was 35, and retired in 1978. The under-arm match is such an iconic moment in our history that any OD exploits before that point don't get much attention.