Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004, it's over.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar

2004, it's over.

I noticed all the Cricinfo staff have said their best and worst of 2004, so I thought it might be interesting to see what everyone here thinks about it.

For me:
    Best - There's several that spring to mind, but I think I'd have to go with Harmison's 7-12, narrowly beating the WI CT win (which I think was great for the game in general)
    Worst - Has to be the death of David Hookes. Senseless.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Coach
    Best - 7th Test win of the summer. Narrowly beating Lara's 400, Harmi's 7/12, and WI CT win.

Worst - Death of David Hookes.
    Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    Ditto

Have a Happy New year people

As a person I can't stand Lara and I'm an England fan so the 400 was one of the worst things of the year, along with the CT debacle.

Best was Harmy's 7-12.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Not sure how one can say the CT was a debacle. Yes, England lost it after being in control, but that's cricket. The better team on the day won and some fantastic cricket was played in the process.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The...er...Twitter[/SIZE][/CENTER]

I'm about to be dragged out for a drink or seven, so I'll be brief:

Best: from an Anglocentric viewpoint it has to be going thru 2004 unbeaten from 13 tests, great collective effort; special praise to Nasser for knowing when to bow out: always leave 'em wanting more! The emergence of Strauss big plus too.

from a more worldwide perspective one has to give credit to Gilly for leading Australia to their first test series victory in India in 34 (?) years & (as others have already mentioned) The Windies for winning the Champions Trophy. Hopefully, to paraphrase Mark Twain, rumours of the death of West Indies cricket have been greatly exaggerated!

Worst: David Hookes’s death was tragic &, of course, Keith Miller made his final walk back to the pavilion too, albeit after a somewhat longer innings. The ICC's handling of the Zimbabwe situation has been pretty rank, as was The ECB & Morgan's squirming.

Happy new year chaps!!
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Only if that England supporter isn't a supporter of good cricket you'd think. I mean, credit must be given where it's due and both teams provided a wonderful game. England may feel agrieved at eventual defeat, but it's not whether you win or lose.

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    Thorpes Innings the test before was better then Laras considering the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by chris.hinton
    Thorpes Innings the test before was better then Laras considering the pitch
    You can't really compare two such innings. Thorpe's innings may have been in a tighter situation pitch-wise, but Lara scored more than 3 times as many runs, so it's really not the same at all.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    well actually he was out on 0
    thorpes inning was chanceless i believe?
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

International Coach
    Yep, that's something people always forget - he was out on 0. Having said that, he did very well afterwards, and must be credited for that, even if the pitch was a featherbed.

To me the Best of 2004 was - Murali becoming the Leading Wicket taker in Test cricket history surpassing Courtney Walsh !!

Only just ahead of Sanath Jayasuriya's 254 v Pakistan and the find of the Decade Michael Clarke for Australia !!

Others notable, West Indies winning Champs Trophy , Pidgeon showing his amazing come back and getting loads of wickets, Steve Harmison another player who had an amazing year and Anil Kumble !!

Worst of 2004 - (Without wanting to turn this into another Murali thread)Obviously Chris Broad's reporting of Murali.

But am pleased that the shadows over Murali have cleared with the ICC's biomechanical experts filming in CT and subsequently finding that 99% of bowlers were beaking the throwing criteria as it stands .

International Debutant
    From what I watched live on TV, for me McGrath's 8/24. I can't really say anything about any others cause I can only watch what is on Channel 9. McGrath went ahead of Justin Langer's knock of 215 and 191. Also Martyn's 100 * was pretty good too.........

The worst was David Hookes's death.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey
    Yep, that's something people always forget - he was out on 0. Having said that, he did very well afterwards, and must be credited for that, even if the pitch was a featherbed.
    Lara was never out on 0. Only the English eye would say so really of those who saw it. It was a superb decision as confirmed by countless replays and the snickometer. No change to the seam and no noise at the point the ball passed the bat.

We've gone over this already Thomas.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information