• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2004, it's over.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I noticed all the Cricinfo staff have said their best and worst of 2004, so I thought it might be interesting to see what everyone here thinks about it.

For me:
Best - There's several that spring to mind, but I think I'd have to go with Harmison's 7-12, narrowly beating the WI CT win (which I think was great for the game in general)
Worst - Has to be the death of David Hookes. Senseless.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Best - 7th Test win of the summer. Narrowly beating Lara's 400, Harmi's 7/12, and WI CT win.

Worst - Death of David Hookes.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As a person I can't stand Lara and I'm an England fan so the 400 was one of the worst things of the year, along with the CT debacle.

Best was Harmy's 7-12.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure how one can say the CT was a debacle. Yes, England lost it after being in control, but that's cricket. The better team on the day won and some fantastic cricket was played in the process.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm about to be dragged out for a drink or seven, so I'll be brief:

Best: from an Anglocentric viewpoint it has to be going thru 2004 unbeaten from 13 tests, great collective effort; special praise to Nasser for knowing when to bow out: always leave 'em wanting more! The emergence of Strauss big plus too.

from a more worldwide perspective one has to give credit to Gilly for leading Australia to their first test series victory in India in 34 (?) years & (as others have already mentioned) The Windies for winning the Champions Trophy. Hopefully, to paraphrase Mark Twain, rumours of the death of West Indies cricket have been greatly exaggerated! :)

Worst: David Hookes’s death was tragic &, of course, Keith Miller made his final walk back to the pavilion too, albeit after a somewhat longer innings. The ICC's handling of the Zimbabwe situation has been pretty rank, as was The ECB & Morgan's squirming.

Happy new year chaps!!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Only if that England supporter isn't a supporter of good cricket you'd think. I mean, credit must be given where it's due and both teams provided a wonderful game. England may feel agrieved at eventual defeat, but it's not whether you win or lose.

Mr Mxyzptlk

chris.hinton said:
Thorpes Innings the test before was better then Laras considering the pitch
You can't really compare two such innings. Thorpe's innings may have been in a tighter situation pitch-wise, but Lara scored more than 3 times as many runs, so it's really not the same at all.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yep, that's something people always forget - he was out on 0. Having said that, he did very well afterwards, and must be credited for that, even if the pitch was a featherbed.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
To me the Best of 2004 was - Murali becoming the Leading Wicket taker in Test cricket history surpassing Courtney Walsh !!

Only just ahead of Sanath Jayasuriya's 254 v Pakistan and the find of the Decade Michael Clarke for Australia !!

Others notable, West Indies winning Champs Trophy , Pidgeon showing his amazing come back and getting loads of wickets, Steve Harmison another player who had an amazing year and Anil Kumble !!

Worst of 2004 - (Without wanting to turn this into another Murali thread)Obviously Chris Broad's reporting of Murali.

But am pleased that the shadows over Murali have cleared with the ICC's biomechanical experts filming in CT and subsequently finding that 99% of bowlers were beaking the throwing criteria as it stands .

Dydl

International Debutant
From what I watched live on TV, for me McGrath's 8/24. I can't really say anything about any others cause I can only watch what is on Channel 9. McGrath went ahead of Justin Langer's knock of 215 and 191. Also Martyn's 100 * was pretty good too.........

The worst was David Hookes's death.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Tom Halsey said:
Yep, that's something people always forget - he was out on 0. Having said that, he did very well afterwards, and must be credited for that, even if the pitch was a featherbed.
Lara was never out on 0. Only the English eye would say so really of those who saw it. It was a superb decision as confirmed by countless replays and the snickometer. No change to the seam and no noise at the point the ball passed the bat.

We've gone over this already Thomas.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Best: Andy Flintoff being dropped in the second tier of the stands by his father Colin - iconic point of his - and England's - summer

Worst: ICC's refusal to take any stance over the Zimbabwe situation

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Best: Australia's series win in India.

Worst: ICC's poor leadership in allowing/making Australia travel to Zimbabwe before it was called off. Talk about a late decision.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
a) Lara was never out on 0. Only the English eye would say so really of those who saw it. It was a superb decision as confirmed by countless replays and the snickometer. No change to the seam and no noise at the point the ball passed the bat.

b) We've gone over this already Thomas.
a) It was close, but IIRC Sky's snicko seemes to indicate otherwise.

b) When? I don't remember discussing it at the time.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Best- 6 hundreds.... :D And the spectacular debut by Michael Clarke.
Worst- Zimbabwe indecisiveness, and Banglasdesh still being permitted to play Test cricket

Mr Mxyzptlk

Tom Halsey said:
a) It was close, but IIRC Sky's snicko seemes to indicate otherwise.

b) When? I don't remember discussing it at the time.
No deviation of the seam and the snickometer of the coverage I was watching (isn't there only one?) stated that there was no edge. The commentators and everyone seemed in agreement that there was no edge. Apparently the British supporters aren't...