• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2004, it's over.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
best- australia finally winning in india, clarke's debut and langer's great form, especially at the end of the year, and the emergence of a team that could give australia a decent run for its money.
worst- the whole chucking debate, and zimbabwe. from a personal point, australia losing to england wasn't too good.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
best - CT, watching malinga from sri lanka bowl, south africa's demise as a world power

worst - hookes, top end test series, the manner of australia's victories and whinging when they lose, south africa's demise as a world power

oh, and just to make sure that everyone continues to think of me as a Big V hugging biased coot, the pura cup victory should also go in the best.

bryce

International Regular
My Best Moments,
*NZ winning a heck of alot of ODI Series and competing with Australia in the one-day series moving them to 2nd on the ICC ODI world rankings.
*Brian Lara snatching back his world record.
*West Indies beating England in the ICC Champions Trophy final
*The emergence of Jacob Oram,Hamish Marshall and Brendon McCullum aswell as Daniel Vettori seeming to be back to his best.
*Bangladesh beating India in an ODI

My Worst Moments,
*NZ's Test whitewashes v Australia and England.
*Shane Bond's continual injury problems.
*Continual talk amongst cricket circles that England actually have a chance of reclaiming the Ashes for the first time in 20 years.
*Muttiah Muralithuran not keeping Shane Warne from becoming the highest wicket-taker in Test Cricket history.
*Bangladesh failing to show much improvement.
*Zimbabwe Crickets falling from grace.
*Mark Richardson's failure to find form and subsequent retirement giving the NZ test team even more problems.

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
BEST:
* Sehwags 309
* Harmisson hammering the WI
* WI win in CT
* The 1st ODI between India/Pak
* Bang beating Ind in ODI
* Lara's 400*
* Kumbles bucket of wickets
* Flintoff.

WORST
* No one still challenges Aus at all
* Zimbabwe situation

BoyBrumby

Englishman
bryce said:
My Worst Moments,
*Mark Richardson's failure to find form and subsequent retirement giving the NZ test team even more problems.
Admittedly I only saw him in the series against us, but he was in prime form then. I'm pretty certain he was the series' leading run-maker from either side.

Think he def jumped too early, what is he, only 33 or something?

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Best - Bangladesh beating India
Worst - Sitting in the stands for three hours, only to see the Chappell-Hadlee finish in a draw

Langeveldt

Soutie
Best
Jacques Kallis's dominance
Boeta Dippenaar's 100 at PE
England's 3-0 win in the Caribbean and win against NZ

Worst
Losing terrestial TV coverage in the UK
Zimbabwe saga
AAD bowing out from FC cricket
SA's slide down the table with defeats in NZ and SL

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
No deviation of the seam and the snickometer of the coverage I was watching (isn't there only one?) stated that there was no edge. The commentators and everyone seemed in agreement that there was no edge. Apparently the British supporters aren't...
IIRC (going purely on memory here) no-one agreed that there was no edge at all. And again going on memory, the snicko prooved otherwise.

I'm not trying to take away from the innings, superb innings, and it was good enough to make my list, but I don't think it was clearly not-out as you are suggesting.

amit_s

Banned
best -

ind winning the test series in pak
ind winning the odi series in pak
windies winning the icc ct
ind winning the 4th test v aus bowling aus out for 93 when they needed 107 to win

worst -

deaths of vijay hazare and david hookes
zimbabwe crisis and players like streak being removed by the zcu

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tom Halsey said:
IIRC (going purely on memory here) no-one agreed that there was no edge at all. And again going on memory, the snicko prooved otherwise.

I'm not trying to take away from the innings, superb innings, and it was good enough to make my list, but I don't think it was clearly not-out as you are suggesting.
Well your memory's failed you then. It was fairly agreed among people and thus a common misconception that he was out. Besides, he wasn't out even had he nicked it, because the umpire didn't give him. It proved an excellent decision for the reasons listed above. There was no evidence the ball hit the bat.

Marcus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Best moments
-Surry getting beaten by ireland in the C and G Trophey
- Devon beating Leicestershire in the same competition
- Ashley Giles
- 'Dont Break the Windows Tino'
- Flintoff
- Ian Bell (class act should be playing in south africa)
- Not losing a test in 2004
- Mike Burns being replaced as captian of Somerset
- Bangladesh beating India in a ODI

Worst Moments
- ECB in general
- ICC in general
- The ICC trophey (pathetic)
- Somersets Domestic season
- The whole zimbarbwe affair
- SKY nicking cricket from our screens
- On a personal note only taking 5 wickets in league cricket all season

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So many great and horrible moments to choose from. If I had to pick one:

Best:
- WI winning the ICC Champions Trophy

Worst:
- David Hookes' death

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Well your memory's failed you then. It was fairly agreed among people and thus a common misconception that he was out. Besides, he wasn't out even had he nicked it, because the umpire didn't give him. It proved an excellent decision for the reasons listed above. There was no evidence the ball hit the bat.
IIRC there was a noise when the ball went past the bat. there was no deflection which meant it was inconclusive, although the bat wasnt close to the pad. therefore the snickometer had to have registered something. so it was a 50-50 sort of decision in which case if the umpire gave it out or not out, it would still have been considered the right decision.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
IIRC there was a noise when the ball went past the bat. there was no deflection which meant it was inconclusive, although the bat wasnt close to the pad. therefore the snickometer had to have registered something. so it was a 50-50 sort of decision in which case if the umpire gave it out or not out, it would still have been considered the right decision.
The snickometer registered a sound which the analysts concluded not to be bat on ball. Also, a 50-50 decision is only correct if it is given not out. Benefit of the doubt goes with the batsman.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:
Worst of 2004 - (Without wanting to turn this into another Murali thread)Obviously Chris Broad's reporting of Murali.

Even though he was correct to do it?