• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

legal controversies & Cricket - Help Required

funkyfuturist

Cricket Spectator
Helloo People,

I am new here but my situation is quite desperate.

I am a law student and have been given to write a 5000 work essay on a really vague topic:

The ‘bouncers’ of the business of cricket: Recent legal controversies

I need some views, suggestions, reference etc from you people. Can you please help me

Thanks

Cheers!!!

Langeveldt

Soutie
funkyfuturist said:
Helloo People,

I am new here but my situation is quite desperate.

I am a law student and have been given to write a 5000 work essay on a really vague topic:

The ‘bouncers’ of the business of cricket: Recent legal controversies

I need some views, suggestions, reference etc from you people. Can you please help me

Thanks

Cheers!!!
Do a google search for "Wessel Johannes (Hansie) Cronjé" and enjoy.

Swervy

International Captain
Depends on what you class as recent...

The Packer stuff would be good...and what about when Botham took Imran Khan to court

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What about the Kolpaks?

A legal precident concerning (IIRC) a Czech handball player (Mr Kolpak himself!) who earned his crust in Germany means that effectively any South African, Zimbabwean or West Indian cricketer can play in The UK as a non-overseas player. Kepler Wessels (now Northants coach) was saying during a lunch break in the 2nd test that Kolpak players must declare themselves unavailable for their international team; but this hasn't been legally tested & I doubt would stand up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
The Packer stuff would be good...
Easily the best, really.
The Cronje thing wasn't really that good IMO - too clear-cut.
With the Packer schism it was an issue with two sides - you could understand the point-of-view of the players and Packer's company, but it still took the game to the edge of extinction.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A boost that would almost certainly have been provided by something else in a very short time.
The 1970s was that kind of decade.
There were far better ways to improve the game than this sort of infiltration.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's another of Richard's ideas.

Packer was a brilliant thing for World Cricket, and I actually think that without it, the game may no longer be around, certainly not as big (and professional) as it is now.

Packer introduced the concept of players being able to afford to play Cricket for a living.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:

Packer was a brilliant thing for World Cricket, and I actually think that without it, the game may no longer be around, certainly not as big (and professional) as it is now.

Packer introduced the concept of players being able to afford to play Cricket for a living.
I agree . Kerry Packer and the brains behind the idea Tony Greig have made it possible for Cricketers to be professional and earn a good living out of cricket, which was not possible pre-packer era.

They have also made Cricket enjoyable to a greater number of people who did not and would not have become interested in the longer version of the game or its intricacies !!

By intoducing the pyjama game they ensured more people would get interested in the shorter version and gradually , may be .... just may be...., some of them would carry their interest to the longer version as well.

funkyfuturist

Cricket Spectator
Thank you

Thanks people for your response.

I guess the packer thingy is too old, I would like to have a mention to it in the essay but it will be in the early part. I would like to majorly concentrate 1995 onewards, I guess that is what recent means.

SO here are the thigs I can concentrate on:

1) Cronje
2) Kolpaks
3) Botham took Imran Khan to court (what was this about??)
4) issues about media rights for cricket telecasts in most ICC countries
5) Rebels tours of RSA during the "ICC apartheid stand off"
6) Zimbabwe and its political situation
7) intervention by the Federal Commonwelath of Australia into tobacco sponsorship of sport.
-----------------------
Can I also look at that below?

8) Shoaib Akhtar thretening to take ICC to court if he was pulled up for chucking again and the whole chucking issue
9) Sourav Ganguli going to court for his recent suspension
10) Current dispute between the West Indies player and the board
11) Recent dispute between the Indian/Srilankan palyers on contract issues with their respective boards

Thanks all your suggestions are valuable...
looking forward to hearng more views. Please let me know if I am missing out something important.

Thanks again

cheers!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:

In spite of the fact that it had been managing fine for the last 100 years and more.
A concept that was rather all-the-rage in many professions at the time, if you remember.
It would have happened in cricket with or without his interference.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
In spite of the fact that it had been managing fine for the last 100 years and more.
It was dying a slow death and needed an influx of public interest to get it where it is, and that is exactly what Packer did.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
It was dying a slow death and needed an influx of public interest to get it where it is, and that is exactly what Packer did.
And there is ample evidence that the influx would have happened anyway, without needing to risk destroying Test-cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
sledger said:
why oh why does richard have to turn even teh most calm docile thread into and argument? :p
Almost all threads are calm and docile before marc and myself get involved.
That's sort of the whole point.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who?
What, more like.
Try natural evolution.
Happened in all sports - would have happened in cricket Packer schism or no Packer schism.