• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Symonds

Josh

International Regular
A test career of 2 matches. A major blunder by the selectors. I say recall him. Why is such a player forgotten about by seemingly everyone after he's played just 2 matches?? Rediculous!!

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well even if on member of the batting line-up is dropped Kato wouid definitely be the next in line. Symonds would have to join the queue of talent after in my opinion.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Josh said:
A test career of 2 matches. A major blunder by the selectors. I say recall him. Why is such a player forgotten about by seemingly everyone after he's played just 2 matches?? Rediculous!!
Not a test player... much like Ian Harvey unfortunately...

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Josh said:
No, ridiculous would be selecting him. You seem to think that Watson can't play tests because he isn't ready for ODIs... Well I'm going to tell you that Symonds can't be picked for tests just because he does alright in the one-day arena. They're different. Symonds had a chance, and I'm sure he knows himself that if he'd grasped it he might still be there.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
symonds is the best fielder in the world, and the best odi player imo. *

he was in superlative form when he went into those tests. Unfortunately, Sri Lanka wasn't the best place to play him first up. He opened up this domestic scene absolutely awesomely, easily the best Pura Cup and ING player, however has struggled a little the past two or so weeks. His dismissal in the second innings in the pura cup against victoria was just unlucky, no player in the world would've kept out such a dreadfully low ball. I think he will fire this summer, and his medium pace bowling has been outstanding. I don't think it's the end of test ambitions for him yet though, he's 29 I think and is fit and strong enough to play for another 5-6 years.

*please note that he is my favourite player, has been ever since i started watching cricket, and things will never be the same for me when he retires. ;)

bryce

International Regular
Josh said:
knowing the aussie selectors they will recall him and make him 12th man

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
putting symonds into the test team would do more bad than it would good,

for a start why would you want to alter the current side?

and if you did then there are far more decent players that could fill that birth better than symonds could.

Mister Wright

Josh said:
Why was he ever dropped in the first place??

He was rightfully dropped because he didn't perform and was replacing a player who had had a solid (but not outstanding) series against India. I don't think Symonds should have been selected ahead of Katich in the first place, but for him to fall behind Clarke & Hodge in the pecking order is just beyond belief. Mr. Casson is wrong, he is test class, some of the innings I have seen him play in Pura Cup in difficult positions proves this to me. He is a plyer that needs to feel confident about his place in the side, as can be shown by Ponting's faith in him in ODIs.

What gets me is the selectors reasons for picking or more importantly not picking players. Katich is selected ahead of Love because of his allround abilities but is then dropped for Symonds, so they can play an extra allrounder - go figure.

Son Of Coco

Josh said:
Because he didn't score any runs! Unfortunately for him it's the way it goes these days, and if you get a chance you have to take it. I'm sure Symonds would place more blame on himself than the selectors for not being there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Josh said:
Why was he ever selected is more to the point?
Katich scores 200-odd for one dismissal - and misses the next Test.
One of the more totally inexplicable decisions in the history of cricket, and it was great to see justice prevail, Symonds get shown-up, and Katich make 85 (IIRR) on recall.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I wonder how many tests Symonds would've played by now if he'd thrown in his lot with the country of his birth (ie: us)?

Fair play to him for going with his heart (I think he was adopted by an Australian couple @ 18 months & is on record as considering himself a "true blue Aussie"), but in the wee small hours I wonder if he ever thinks "what if....?"

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
I wonder how many tests Symonds would've played by now if he'd thrown in his lot with the country of his birth (ie: us)?

Fair play to him for going with his heart (I think he was adopted by an Australian couple @ 18 months & is on record as considering himself a "true blue Aussie"), but in the wee small hours I wonder if he ever thinks "what if....?"
Personally I have serious doubts as to whether Symonds would have had success playing Test-cricket in England in the mid-1990s.