• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

saeed anwar

Richard said:
And the fact remains that the scorebook isn't the most important thing when analysing how well a batsman played.
You can't say something like that. Are you going to go back and take away all the best innings because they were given a chance. Lara was dropped on 16 or something during his 501, so I guess that's what he made.

PAKMAN said:
no doubt that saeed anwar and aamir sohail were the best pakistan opening pair ever
saeed is a very nice man on and off thr feild very humble and freindly all the time
All Pakistan people I have met are all great people. Friendly and talkative.

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
Richard said:
Because he made 100-something.
Tendulkar made a pristine 47 - then got himself out.
That Razzaq was not good enough to complete the dismissal says nothing about Tendulkar.
so just because raazaq drops a catch all of a sudden its a mediocre innings? anwars 100 was good, great even but my reasoning is: it didn't win pakistan the match (you can argue they might not have won because their bowling let them down but at the end of the day anwars ton is just a foot note and tendulkar won the match)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Peanutbutterbar said:
You can't say something like that. Are you going to go back and take away all the best innings because they were given a chance. Lara was dropped on 16 or something during his 501, so I guess that's what he made.
The 484 after that wasn't half bad, but yes - but for that dropped catch it wouldn't have happened.
Simple as.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Peanutbutterbar said:
Butt's had a good ODI start, but you can't use that against what wahindiawah said. It's just that, a start.
Nonetheless he's demonstrated that Pakistan have an opener who, so far, has done well.
Something Imran Farhat, Taufeeq Umar (when playing non-African nations) et al haven't done.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hit4Six said:
so just because raazaq drops a catch all of a sudden its a mediocre innings? anwars 100 was good, great even but my reasoning is: it didn't win pakistan the match (you can argue they might not have won because their bowling let them down but at the end of the day anwars ton is just a foot note and tendulkar won the match)
Who gives a damn which team won the match.
Personally I'd take a 100 over a 47 anyday.
Which is all Tendulkar played well enough to score.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hit4Six said:
so just because raazaq drops a catch all of a sudden its a mediocre innings?
And no, it's not "a mediocre innings", it's just worth less than it is thought to be.
It was as good a 47 as you could wish to see, but a pristine 47 still isn't an especially brilliant innings.

Craig

World Traveller
I quite like the look of Salman Butt, really think he has potential with the bat.

The less said about Imran Farhat the better...

Richard said:
The 484 after that wasn't half bad, but yes - but for that dropped catch it wouldn't have happened.
Simple as.
It's not simple as that. He made 501. That's simple as that. No more no less, he got 501 and that's what the records will always show.

Richard said:
No, nobody had 47 against their name in the book. 8-)
There is a difference.
Tendulker could have easily have lost concentration and gotten out soon after, but he didn't he caried on, because that's what happens in international cricket, people drop catches all the time, shouldn't take away from the innings.

wahindiawah

Banned
Richard said:
Clearly, Salman Butt's ODI-average of 50 denotes him a very poor opener. 8-)
Who's talking about onedayers? in onedayers even Saleem Elahi hasa good average!!

And the way Pak team selectors work, i won't be surprised to see Butt out of the team and being replaced by Imran nazir in near future.

Deja moo

International Captain
Pakistan is overflowing with talent. It wouldnt surprise me to see half the side full of previously unheard of players five years from now.

wahindiawah

Banned
Deja moo said:
Pakistan is overflowing with talent. It wouldnt surprise me to see half the side full of previously unheard of players five years from now.
A talent invisible to me!

they haven't find a good batsmen in a long long time.don't have a decent wk batsmen and in the population of 150 million there isn't a good off spinner...very sad.

They use to get good pacers, but now its no longer the case. They have tried a dozen pacers ( Rao,Riaz,Khalil,Asif,Yasir Ali, Rana etc) but all have failed to impress.

Deja moo

International Captain
wahindiawah said:
A talent invisible to me!

they haven't find a good batsmen in a long long time.don't have a decent wk batsmen and in the population of 150 million there isn't a good off spinner...very sad.

They use to get good pacers, but now its no longer the case. They have tried a dozen pacers ( Rao,Riaz,Khalil,Asif,Yasir Ali, Rana etc) but all have failed to impress.

They have Shoaib, Sami and Gul. Very good trio IMO.

wahindiawah

Banned
Deja moo said:
They have Shoaib, Sami and Gul. Very good trio IMO.
i was talking about new propects. Their back up bowlers are proving to be lowsy.

Shoaib is good, though sami is crap (look at his test stats). Gul like Bond is out of cricket for a long time, so we can't say much about him.

pakistan bowling is just dependent on one man , S. Akhter.

Choora

State Regular
Deja moo said:
Whatever happened to Mohammad Zahid ? Dont hear of him anymore...
He's history now.

Actually Gul is a very impressive bowler, if he manages to get fit then i think he will be in the side. Shabbir is another bowler whome i think would have peformed well in Australia.

Sami is too eratic, frankly he has been an under-performer.