• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top On-Field Personalities

Loony BoB

International Captain
After watching Mr. Akhtar and Mr. Langer have some fun the other day, I was wondering - good or bad, which cricketers do you think show the most character out on the field? I suppose you could include umpires, too, if you want. The names that spring to mind at the moment, for me, include Akhtar, Tino Best, Billy Bowden and Chris Harris. Flintoff, Gilchrist, Warne and Cairns are also worth mentioning. It's been a while since I've watched some sides though, so it'd be nice to know who to look out for. :p

Josh

International Regular
BILLY BOWDEN!!

Michael Clarke
Glenn McGrath - instead of concentrating in the field the other day, he was watching a fight in the crowd!! Haha... Maaaaaaarvelous effort that!!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
id agree with billy bowden,

however mcgrath concentrates more on his awful sledging than anything else (see my siganture below, i have many other examples of mcgrath walking into such traps, dont hesitate to ask)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
lol yeh its funny though, serves mcgrath right in my opinion, its stupid that he reported the incident to the match umpire and tried to get sarwan punished, the australian slip fielders went into hysterics apparently hehehe

C_C

International Captain
not sure what the question means...
character out of field ?
as in a zesty flashy sort or a nice personality ?

I would say, from personal experience, the most affable off-field personalities are Brett Lee, Sachin, Dravid, Donald, Kallis and Dean Headley.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I enjoy watching Tino on the field, though I do imagine many a non-West Indian would feel otherwise.

Hmmm... Jonty Rhodes always seemed in a good mood.

Link

State Vice-Captain
Kallis is another one that is always up for a laugh.

I remember one OD game against the West Indies, where Dave Mohamed was fielding particulary bad and they played all his mishaps on the big screen. So Kallis decided to take time out and watch the footage, he could not contain himself with the laughter. 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I enjoy watching Tino on the field, though I do imagine many a non-West Indian would feel otherwise.
Anyone who watched the Lloyd incident had to feel different for mine.
There is no place for a bowler who resorts to Beamers - as Best still does.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Peanutbutterbar said:
Lol, so is that why McGrath went so angry that time. I bet Sarwan felt bad when he realised what he'd said.
Same way McGrath will have felt bad about all the similar things he's said to batsmen down the years eh? 8-)

Loony BoB

International Captain
C_C said:
not sure what the question means...
character out of field ?
as in a zesty flashy sort or a nice personality ?

I would say, from personal experience, the most affable off-field personalities are Brett Lee, Sachin, Dravid, Donald, Kallis and Dean Headley.
On the field, not off. :) And more so showing any kind of personality at all on the field, rather than just standing there and playing cricket and doing nothing else. :p I really enjoyed Akhtar vs. Langer... good stuff, great entertainment! :D

Josh

International Regular
It's always fun to watch Warney carry on to Gilchrist when they leave the camera on him for a while.

Richard said:
Same way McGrath will have felt bad about all the similar things he's said to batsmen down the years eh? 8-)
No because the people he's sledged, none of them had wives with cancer, or not that he knew of.

wahindiawah

Banned
Loony BoB said:
On the field, not off. :) I really enjoyed Akhtar vs. Langer... good stuff, great entertainment! :D
I don't understand as to WHY Langer choose NOT to complain the umpire about Akhter's ugly attitute when the umpire inquied Langer as to what Ahter had been uttering.Had langer complained to the umpire then Akhter would have landed into deeper trouble (probably banned for a year)as this would have been his second consecutive offense.
If Akhter had been in Langer's place then i'm sure he would have complained and whined about it.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wahindiawah said:
I don't understand as to WHY Langer choose NOT to complain the umpire about Akhter's ugly attitute when the umpire inquied Langer as to what Ahter had been uttering.Had langer complained to the umpire then Akhter would have landed into deeper trouble (probably banned for a year)as this would have been his second consecutive offense.
If Akhter had been in Langer's place then i'm sure he would have complained and whined about it.
lol i dont think a year... maybe a match... and there was nothing in it i thought... thats what makes cricket the game it is!

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
sledger said:
id agree with billy bowden,

however mcgrath concentrates more on his awful sledging than anything else (see my siganture below, i have many other examples of mcgrath walking into such traps, dont hesitate to ask)
When's the last time you saw McGrath giving someone a blast on the field though? I can't remember seeing it for a very long time......he's still being raked over the coals for something that happened years ago.