• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top On-Field Personalities

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Or maybe he was unlucky and careless - treading on his stumps, getting given lbw incorrectly and being run-out.
And if you seriously think getting him caught off a Hook-shot is working him out, you're delusional!
Bicknell has got him lbw twice, Hoggard once - and 3 times he's played at balls he needn't (and not doing that is his biggest strength), being at Headingley, PE and Kingsmead (first-innings all 3 times).
Before long he's going to get back his judgement of most of the rest of his innings, leave the balls he needs to leave, and wait for the totally unavoidable balls on the pads.
He'll probably stop missing straight balls, too - given that he's not done that much, either.
And if he gets caught Pulling or Hooking again this series I'll be quite amazed.
It's been a combination of different circumstances that have caused his cheap dismissals - until there is a sequence of similar dismissals, you can't say anyone's worked him out.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Richard said:
Or maybe he was unlucky and careless - treading on his stumps, getting given lbw incorrectly and being run-out.
And if you seriously think getting him caught off a Hook-shot is working him out, you're delusional!
Bicknell has got him lbw twice, Hoggard once - and 3 times he's played at balls he needn't (and not doing that is his biggest strength), being at Headingley, PE and Kingsmead (first-innings all 3 times).
Before long he's going to get back his judgement of most of the rest of his innings, leave the balls he needs to leave, and wait for the totally unavoidable balls on the pads.
He'll probably stop missing straight balls, too - given that he's not done that much, either.
And if he gets caught Pulling or Hooking again this series I'll be quite amazed.
It's been a combination of different circumstances that have caused his cheap dismissals - until there is a sequence of similar dismissals, you can't say anyone's worked him out.
agreed,

unless they can work out a method to get him to tread on the stumps again :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well they seemed to reckon on the radio that Giles had him in trouble today.
Apparently it took incredible consistency of accuracy to carry the thing out, though, and it might have worked once but until it works again I'll not consider much of it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I seem to remember Giles also caused him more problems than anyone else in the 2 innings on which his hype still exists.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Caused problems - and got him out through good bowling once (ironically the time where he didn't get any credit).
Causing batsmen problems is no use - you've got to get them out.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Compare and contrast this with one of Richard's dissections of an England batsman.

Note how Graeme Smith, a batsman with a by now fairly well-established record of carelessness and limited technique, is being hailed as someone who can eradicate his persistent faults overnight, while an English batsman who continues to succeed despite Richard's distaste is always about to fail because of his multifarious technical deficiencies which are ineradicable.

Cheers,

Mike

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It hadn't escaped my notice either.

Maybe it's because he's been talking up Smith as the best since Bradman (or near enough that) and is still hanging onto that belief regardless of actual performances.

On the other hand, once he's written someone off, any runs are either (a) luck, (b) poor bowling or (c) flat wickets

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Or maybe it's because plenty of people have questioned Trescothick's ability at Test-level, I am by no means the only one.
I've pointed-out luck in batsmen I both rate and don't rate, I'll always do it and there's no way around it for the supporters of those batsmen.
Flat pitches and poor bowling are pretty much a given in most situations ATM.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I thought that seeing as he's the best since Bradman and Bradman would average 1000 in current cricket, surely he can average 100 seeing as he has no obvious flaws that mean people can work him out and dismiss him cheaply?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I thought that seeing as he's the best since Bradman and Bradman would average 1000 in current cricket, surely he can average 100 seeing as he has no obvious flaws that mean people can work him out and dismiss him cheaply?
I said Bradman might average 1000 in one-day-cricket.
Of course he has obvious limitations, but that doesn't automatically mean people can work him and dismiss him cheaply.
If Smith finishes his career with an average in the 60s (looking unlikely ATM - but there's still ages and ages to go yet) there will be a case for him being the best since Bradman.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How is there a case for that if he averages in the 60s seeing as there's many others who are also up at that level, and I think most people would take Dravid or SRT ahead of him for sure.

I note he scored another superb 2 today - really doing well against England isn't he?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yep - Hoggard and Bicknell combined have suggested they might just be working him out.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Obviously Richard, you missed Graeme Smith fall to pieces after Fleming had a crack at him early last year in an ODI at Eden Park.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
and carelessness is also a weakness that can take years to fix, something that you yourself pointed out with regard to flintoff. of course smith can solve that problem overnight.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
of course smith can solve that problem overnight.

I didn't think Smith had a problem though, being second only to Bradman of all time as he is?!