• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ODI ever ?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
this should be intresting....

england vs india in the final of the natwest series a few years ago springs to my mind....

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
sledger said:
this should be intresting....

england vs india in the final of the natwest series a few years ago springs to my mind....
Probably a bit bias, but... Australia Vs West Indies in the 90's where Aussies were done and dusted then Bevo hit a 4 off the last ball to win the match

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
west indies versus australia new years day 1996 at the SCG, where bevan hit the 4 off the final ball of the game.

south africa versus australia super six game 1999 WC

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As much as I hate it, NZ v Australia MCG 2002, Aus 6 down for 80-odd chasing 240 and Bevan stealing it.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SA v Aus, World Cup game in England - the game was 'tied' but Aus went through because of some tie-breaker.

DT8

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
benchmark00 said:
Probably a bit bias, but... Australia Vs West Indies in the 90's where Aussies were done and dusted then Bevo hit a 4 off the last ball to win the match
Yep agreed. That was a classic. Another one was ENG vs SL in 98 when Murali got called for chucking. Hick played well, and then Jayawardena played a blinder. Ironically Murali hit the winning runs as SL chased down 300 to secure an improbable victory.

That match had everything -- high scores, thrilling finish and no shortage of controversy (Emerson was sacked after the game).

DT8

Scaly piscine said:
SA v Aus, World Cup game in England - the game was 'tied' but Aus went through because of some tie-breaker.
Yeh this is another one which comes to mind.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
_Ed_ said:
As much as I hate it, NZ v Australia MCG 2002, Aus 6 down for 80-odd chasing 240 and Bevan stealing it.
Yep that's the best ODI ever, or Pakistan v India early this year where India set around 350 and Pakistan almost chased it

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
1996 World Cup semi final, Australia vs. West Indies. An absolute classic.

Australia were 4/15 by the tenth over, but they managed 207 in the end......

The the Windies were 2/165 in reply, then Warnie and Fleming took 8 wickets to win the game by five runs.

Breathtaking stuff, especially after the start Australia had.

Aus vs NZ or India vs Pakistan (the aforementioned one, with Inzamam's epic innings) would also be hot contenders.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
James90 said:
, Pakistan v India early this year where India set around 350 and Pakistan almost chased it
yes i must agree with you there that was hugely entertaining.

DT8

LongHopCassidy said:
1996 World Cup semi final, Australia vs. West Indies. An absolute classic.

Aus vs NZ or India vs Pakistan (the aforementioned one, with Inzamam's epic innings) would also be hot contenders.
Yeh I forgot them too. There are way too many to choose one. How about we get 5 choices?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Top 5:

1. Australia vs. West Indies (WC semi, '96)
2. India vs. Pakistan (2004)
3. Australia vs. New Zealand (VB series 2002)
4. Australia vs. South Africa (WC semi, '99)
5. Australia vs. West Indies (VB series, New Year's Day, 1996)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vic_orthdox said:
south africa versus australia super six game 1999 WC
IMO the semi was better still.
Impossible to look past that game for mine, but there have been a few that have come close.
Pakistan v England at Karachi; England v India at Lord's.
I've only really been watching ODIs (except the 1992 World Cup) since WC99, though.
I mean, they said India v West Indies in WC83 was pretty good.

Josh

International Regular
_Ed_ said:
Yep

Don't forget Warney and Bichel.

Bay 13 had a 45-minute Wave going, then all of the sudden we look up, 5 overs left and about 40-odd runs to get. Everyone pays attention once more

LOL

What a great match to be apart of that was.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Josh said:
Yep

Don't forget Warney and Bichel.

Bay 13 had a 45-minute Wave going, then all of the sudden we look up, 5 overs left and about 40-odd runs to get. Everyone pays attention once more

LOL

What a great match to be apart of that was.
I just love reminicing on that VB series..NZ beating Aussie three out of four games and ending the Waugh brothers ODI careers

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
australia v pakistan in their first match in the 2003 world cup. australia struggling at 4-75 or so, the world's best (imo) odi player - andrew symonds - strolls out and smashes the pakistanis all over the ground for 143 not out, to the point where their captain (waqar younis i think??) bowls two or three head-high beamers at symonds (and symonds is a big, tall guy!!) and gets ordered out of the attack by (i think?) dave sheppard. And then we comfortably won it.

Also the '03 wc final, thrashing india for 359. what a great dig that was.
The ending to the 99 aus-saf semi was pretty good too...