• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Combined Second Tier

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Here's an idea.

All the teams in the so-called "second tier" of international cricket can field a combined Test side which would be vaguely competitive.

For simplicity's sake, let's include Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Canada, Holland and all the other sides that couldn't hit bread rolls bowled by octogenerians.

And take the best players from each side and put them in a combined side, sort of like a World Indies.

This would make stars in inferior sides be able to showcase their talent in a competitive team.

What do you think?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
i would prefer to see the minnows playing the "A" sides of the test teams, as even these sides would beat the majority of the minnows, and therefore it would be useless to put together a "world indies" (love the name though)

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I thought a good fight by the "best of the worst" would be better than seeing Ponting and co. setting Bangladesh 700 to win in five sessions.

shaka

International Regular
I actually like that idea, and then playing them as a nation. however logistically it might be impossible. However there are stars in each of the less off teams, including rafique, Collins Obuya (leg spinner from Kenya).

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
i said the "A" sides, as in Australia "A", or the South Africa "A". the 2nd XI for each country.
My bad. Sorry.

But if Ashraful, Rafique, Bashar, Tikolo, Taibu, Rainsford, Obuya and even Davison can stick it up the Test sides with their less-talented compatriots, a World Indies side would at least hold their own.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Any team that is even considered for test status in the future has to have a stable and hopefully competitive domestic structure, they also have to have adequate administrators and test-quality venues. They should be given funding to embark on tours to play A-teams and should be involved in a three game one day series at home against stronger nations to test their resolve and to get the people interested, or even better a first class match (not a test match) against a full strength Australian or English side.

To combine these countries into a "super-team" is not going to improve the development of players in that country.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
LongHopCassidy said:
I was think it to be a once-a-year thing, like Barbarians rugby sides.......

Okay, that is fair enough, but the last thing the game needs is another novelty act. There is the super test and one day series coming up, so I doubt the ICC will be pushing for a super-minnow side.

bryce

International Regular
the only thing that could possibly come out of this concept is a one off match or series, i don't see the need for it anyway as it only would disrupt developing nations progress in the cricket world

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
This idea isn't about developing/disrupting domestic competitions - it's about creating entertaining and competitive cricket games.

How would picking a few of the best players from minnow nations (when they would otherwise have very little to do) disturb the domestic or grass-roots sectors of the game?

It would be exciting to watch and would draw a large crowd (especially in one of the minnow nations).

Combining this with Twenty20 might make for something very interesting indeed. I think it would be far more entertaining than the mismatches in the international arena.

bryce

International Regular
there is cricket going all year round, why another match especially just for entertainments sake

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What about the players from non english speaking countries, how could they communicate with their teammates? :p im not serious, just trying to cause problems :p

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
bryce said:
there is cricket going all year round, why another match especially just for entertainments sake
Because it would be more competitive than most international fare?

Because it would give the minnows a go at the top level?

Because it would encourage cricket in developing nations?

I would go on, but you get my point. Just what is wrong with this idea that makes you oppose it so strongly?

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
benchmark00 said:
What about the players from non english speaking countries, how could they communicate with their teammates? :p im not serious, just trying to cause problems :p
Actually, words like wicket, run, batting, bowling, swing, cutting, turn, leg-glance and pull-shot are universal in world cricket.

Also, most if not all cricketing nations speak English.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
LongHopCassidy said:
Actually, words like wicket, run, batting, bowling, swing, cutting, turn, leg-glance and pull-shot are universal in world cricket.

Also, most if not all cricketing nations speak English.

Oh you dont say??? stop taking my stupid posts serious... i even said i wasnt serious...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
LongHopCassidy said:
Because it would be more competitive than most international fare?

Because it would give the minnows a go at the top level?

Because it would encourage cricket in developing nations?

I would go on, but you get my point. Just what is wrong with this idea that makes you oppose it so strongly?
It's a total waste of time and there's far too much cricket already?
That do you?

Josh

International Regular
Didn't the ICC propose something last year where all the minows would battle in tests and all the "big nations" would battle and it'd be 2 separate comps??