• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

all rounders

wickies 4 ar's

Cricket Spectator
i was going to send a trivia question to the people on channel 9's (in australia) trivia about how many players in the history of test cricket have batting averages higher than their bowling average. any ideas?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wickies 4 ar's said:
i was going to send a trivia question to the people on channel 9's (in australia) trivia about how many players in the history of test cricket have batting averages higher than their bowling average. any ideas?
I don't know how many but i would suggest there would be quite a few... i can see one as i'm watching the cricket now... Kallis averages about 30 with the ball and about 54 with the willow

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Any all rounder worth their salt...............

Miller, Imran, Botham, Sobers, Woolley, Davidson, Hadlee and even Wasim Akram outpaced their bowling averages with the willow.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
LongHopCassidy said:

Miller, Imran, Botham, Sobers, Woolley, Davidson, Hadlee and even Wasim Akram outpaced their bowling averages with the willow.
Oh, so Michael Clarke? Darren Lehmann? :D

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
LongHopCassidy said:

easy when you have a bowling average of 22

shaka

International Regular
I think that cricinfo answered that question on "ask Steven" of a few weeks ago, dunno if it can be located.

godonnygo

Cricket Spectator
Michael Slater averaged about 15 with the ball and 40+ with the bat.......but he only took one wicket!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But surely if they've played enough games to get 1000 runs, then they'd have to have been utilised as a bowler a fair bit as well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
LongHopCassidy said:

Add in Pollock and Kallis (and soon Flintoff will be in that category)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Depends what stats you use, really.
If you use average-with-qualification-7-wickets Clarke doesn't register.