• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Odds.

Anoop

U19 12th Man
Australia 7/4
South Africa 11/4
India 6/1
Pakistan 6/1
England 10/1
Sri Lanka 10/1
New Zealand 12/1
West Indies 25/1
Zimbabwe 150/1
Kenya 300/1
Bangladesh 500/1
Canada 5000/1
Namibia 5000/1
Netherlands 5000/1

from ladbrokes.com

interesting... India on number 3?

So who's betting on Netherlands? ;)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think these odd's won't look the same when the opening day of World Cup comes around.

Its still far too soon to be putting odds on teams, because several injuries can set a team back severely.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I find it interesting that England have jumped ahead of Sri Lanka & NZ despite the fact that NZ beat them in a recent ODI Series.

But i think ppl should only start looking seriously at these odds closer to the time.

Rich2001

International Captain
I think these odd's won't look the same when the opening day of World Cup comes around.

Its still far too soon to be putting odds on teams, because several injuries can set a team back severely.
Couldn't agree more with you there Tim

Would India or their fans still be as confident if say Tendulkar was ruled out because of an injury?

Would you still have them at number three then?

Rich2001

International Captain
I find it interesting that England have jumped ahead of Sri Lanka & NZ despite the fact that NZ beat them in a recent ODI Series.
Ok I want to make it clear that my comments don't intend to start another massive debate over who's better!

Tim to be fair NZ did beat us but it was only 3-2, it's not like you destoryed us, also IMO it would be alot closer than it was with our current squad and form, you do have to addmit that England have improved in the One Dayers recently (we can bat our 50 overs now :))

Also another reason could be because in recent One Day matches England have beaten the better team on paper being Sri Lanka compared to New Zealand beatting the West Indies

Anoop

U19 12th Man
Yep.. England do have improved considerably in ODIs. I think they have been rightly placed at where they are.

muralilal

Banned
India are placed correctly at third, they are one of the fav's.

NZ are a much better team than poms, wonder why are the english team ranked so highly

Rich2001

International Captain
NZ are a much better team than poms, wonder why are the english team ranked so highly
Ok odds go on form right? So here's the form of England v New Zealand over the past year

Also just remember that out of the England loses total we had that series with Aus and Pak last summer where we lost every game (about 7)

New Zealand

Games 28
Won 9
Drwn 1
Lost 18
Win Percentage 32.14%

England

Games 23
Won 13
Drawn 1
Loss 9
Win Precentage 56.52%

Just remember rankings/odds mean nothing when you go into a big comp

muralilal

Banned
Interesting mate, the defeats have been attributed to having played the matches against strong opponents(although NZ defeated the same opponent thrice) but u didn't mention that out of England victories, atleast 4-5 were against ZIMB!!!

NZ is better than End in onedayers, they will make it to the super six, Eng won't!

[Edited on 8/7/02 by muralilal]

Rich2001

International Captain
NZ is better than End in onedayers, they will make it to the super six, Eng won't!

[Edited on 8/7/02 by muralilal]
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and that's fine, in many places you are right, we did beat Zim 5-0, but at that time we were experimenting with our team 4 or 5 players made debuts in that series and they did have the number 1 batsman in the world at the time in A.Flower and the other batsman are no mugs, it's the bowling that lets them down bar H.Streak

But IMO a wins a win in my books you still have to beat the lesser teams

But from an English fan point of view I really hope that the guys lift themselves and can make it through what is a very very strong group and prove not only you but alot of people around the world that we are a capable team and can compete with the best, anyway a true test will come when the ICC comp is held in under a months time that will show where everyone is at the momment and also the one day games that we play during the ashes in Aus during the winter

Also the point about NZ beatting Aus three times, Well all I can say to that is well done they should get alot of credit, however my main point about NZ is that they aren't always consistant, after beatting Aus 3 times they played us and lose twice.

Anyway I would like to think that both NZ and England stand a chance in the WC 2003

muralilal

Banned
Well i hope Eng do qualifies but not at the expense of India.

One thing about Black cap is that they have below average reserve players, when their main players get injured, they then just perform hopelessly.

Rich2001

International Captain
Lol getting worried yet ;) :D

One thing about Black cap is that they have below average reserve players, when their main players get injured, they then just perform hopelessly.
Very true, couldn't agree more

But I am impressed how well they compete with such limited resources

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I think though that NZ is building up that base, because the Academy is only just starting to take affect.

a few years back we had about 13 competitive players, now we have about..18 or 19 so thats good.

And if you keep watching the Academy scorecards you'll notice guys like Jesse Ryder & Rob Nicol who are products of the Academy.

muralilal

Banned
Well, thats one hell of a pool, noone can take a single match lightly, not even the Aussies.
Someone will have to miss the buss, will either be Eng/Ind/ or Pak.Would be great if Australia knock out of the tour before supersix, then the WC will be wide open, though i know its unlikely!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year

The thing is..that apart from Australia, when teams lose their players they will also perform hopelessly. Its just badluck for NZ that they have injury problems, but I believe they are over this problem now. Currently England are being tested with injuries & if they come through the test series well, then good for them they have a good base.