• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib or Hoggard ??

Sulphate

Cricket Spectator
who wud you prefer to have in your test match side.

i know shoaib is very very fast and very very good but i just believe he is overrated.
he is no where in bowling rankings and is hyped up so much by pakisanis that every one else is starting to believe it.

hoggard may not be as fast or as devestating as shoaib but he has great determination and good consistency in tests. fifth in test rankings <<< YAY

id take hoggard any day in a test match. maybe be not in a ODI but i dont care

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmmmm. Good call.

Tests...

I like devastating strike bowlers, and Shoaib is supposed to be one.

As to whether Hoggard is REALLY the fifth best bowler in the world on current form - I rather doubt it, but he has made a more than adequate start to what could well become a very successful test career.

At the moment, you 'pays your money and takes your choice'.

I'd actually have neither in my ODI side.

U can forget that crap ranking, don't forget that Hoggard has the advantage of playing on GREEN TOP wkts, Shoaib,Zaheer and other Asians are unlucky that they have to play on dead wkts.Hoggard looked totally ineffective in India.

He's talented, but is definately overrated!

lordprasad

Cricket Spectator
I can name many better bowlers than Hoggard, comparing him with a pacer as if only these two were the promissing ones is dumb. Bond,Khan,Lee,Adams,Ntini,Bracken are all better than Hoggard!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wish that people would read the thread title before just writing what they want. The question was 'Shoaib or Hoggard??'

By introducing other bowlers you are just clouding the issue. There are other open threads for discussing your 'favourite quicks'.

Rich2001

International Captain
It's a tough call, both on their day are very good bowlers.

Someone said about the rankings and I would agree that you shouldn't take much notice about them, afterall Pakistan aren't playing any tests or haven't for what about 3-4 months? So how is Shoaib going to climb the ranking whereas Hoggard has played - Sri Lanka and India in this time (possibly the tail end of the NZ tour as well)

However I feel that like you say Shoiab is hyped up, but he still bowls 95+ continually and it's just my opinion but hasn't his form being rather good recently? I recall him taking quite alot of wickets in the recent One Dayers.

But I would take Shoiab for his consistancy Hoggard bowls well when his feeling good and when he goes though bad spells his bowling suffers alot

Anoop

U19 12th Man
Shoaib. Mainly because he scares every batsman. He takes half the wicket without even releasing the ball.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Shoaib. This is because I don't think there is one batsmen in the world that doesn't fear him. On his day he is a great bowler. Hoggard is nothing great. There are plenty of other bowlers who are as good and there are plenty of batsmen who can hit him around.

Sulphate

Cricket Spectator
if hoggard was an indian he would be called the best bowler in the world by all those indian fans.
if hoggard was a pakisani the pakistani fans would call if the nect wasim or younis.
now jst bcos he belongs to us poms ppl call him rubbish and claim there are 20 better test pace bowlers in the world. im not saying the hoggs a great but hes better than many of you give him credit for.

the person who sed ppl such as bond and ntini were better than hoggard is missing the point of the thread. anyway id take the hogg over them two anyday

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
And the second.

He's bowled quite beautifully this morning.

If Corky doesn't improve I'm going to be changing my signature :D

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Hoggard is a good test bowler on wickets and conditions aiding swing bowling. Shoaib, barring any major injuries looks like a potential all-time great bowler. He has maintained his speed and added accuracy to his repertoire in recent times. He showed that in the recent series against Aus.

In one dayers, I would definitely pick Akhtar(Hoggard was totally ineffective in the recent Natwest series). In tests, both are bowling well now. In conditions aiding swing, I might be tempted to pick Hoggard(even on these wickets, Akhtar's pace would be a major factor), but on all other wickets(for example: subcontinent wickets), it would be Akhtar. On balance, Akhtar would come out on top on current form in most situations.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
There is no comparison between Shoaib and Hoggard.One is a terror, and could very well become one of the greatest.The other atleast for now is a run of the mill quick, capable of decent showings when the conditions are favourable.

From a batsman's persepctive also, facing Akhtar sure gives a scare to most in the world.I don't think Hoggard generates that kind of a feel.

So, its Akhtar for me.....be it tests or ODIs.

yorker

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
"if hoggard was a pakisani the pakistani fans would call if the nect wasim or younis"

Had he been a Pakistani he wouldn't have been in the team!!With W's,Akhter,Saqlain,there is no place for another seamer, thats why Sami can't find a place, and according to Lillee a real quality bowler is being wasted!

Akhter haven't done much at test level, Hoggard is a real good bowler but he too has not played much.Comparing him with Akram and Waqar is idiotic.
Let them play a bit more and then we will see who is better, i do have a feeling that Akhter will be more sucessfull though.

[Edited on 8/8/02 by yorker]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Hoggard has reached 50 Test wickets in fewer Tests than all but 2 English bowlers, namely Botham and Cork.

That is despite only bowling 13 overs in his debut Test.

After 12 Tests - he has 53 wickets at 27.79, Shoaib had 33 at 39.42.

Shoaib's current form wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that his last 5 Tests have been against West Indies (twice), Sri Lanka, New Zealand and Bangladesh (!) would it?

This is really funny, u have taken into account the opponents but not the pitches.Hoggrad would have fared pathetically on Pakistani wkts where Shoaib fared well!!

Maybe Shoaib is only getting the batters of weak team, but then how would u describe his performance against Aus??

ON Asian pitches Hoggard would have got those 50 wkts in twice the matches he has already played!

Hoggard has reached 50 Test wickets in fewer Tests than all but 2 English bowlers, namely Botham and Cork.

And where is Cork now??? if getting the 50 wkts in less matches a criteria than Cork should be regarded as one of the best English bowler ever!

I can name a lot of great bowlers who took longer to get the 50 wkts, doesn't mean they were awful.
And yeah, Hoggard sucked when he bowled in India, though i don't blame him.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To those who poo-poo Hoggard, here's an interesting opinion from someone who's actually FACED him and still scored a hundred:

http://www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_...EWS/2002/AUG/044119_ENGIND2002_08AUG2002.html

Personally, I've seen a little of him bowl but what I've seen, he looks VERY good.

And unlike Shoaib, he'll be around in 5 years. See Shoaib's main weapon is his pace. once that goes, I don't think he'll be anywhere near as effective. And for those who say he'll be one of the greatest; come on! Pull the other one! He's had a couple of good series' and suddenly he's a world beater?

Sure Hoggard is only just starting out too but he has a little more than pure pace. Shoaib is bowling VERY well right now but we'll see how he performs in a couple of years when he can't quite bowl as quick.

[Edited on 8/9/02 by Top_Cat]

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
And unlike Shoaib, he'll be around in 5 years. See Shoaib's main weapon is his pace. once that goes, I don't think he'll be anywhere near as effective. And for those who say he'll be one of the greatest; come on! Pull the other one! He's had a couple of good series' and suddenly he's a world beater?
True that when you have some blinding pace the margin of error is large and you can get away with bad delivieries, but if you happen to see the latest series, shoaib has improved as a bowler, from those early erratic days he's learned to keep his wits around him.
He's shown that he is an intelligent cricketer,Surely he has and will adopt to the traits required of a good bowler, not sure waqar and for that matter wasim would let him fade away like that either.

And yes i do beleive that shoaib is a world beater, on far too many occassions he has turned games upside down.