• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib Akhtar = awesome

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
i love his runup to the crease, its one of the most intimidating.
But he aint a great-yet.
To be a great, you gotto succeed against all commers in all the opportunities you've had.
Akhtar bombed bigtime versus India.
Just coz he's made a bunny outta flat track bully Matty Hayden doesnt suggest he is a great.
Akhtar's good spells have been getting longer every time they've occurred.
Still, he's yet to have a consistent year even.

dinu23

International Debutant
Akthar is a superb bowler, no question about that. the problem is he's the only bowler in the pakistan team who can exert pressure on batsmen. after bowling about 5 overs Akthar has to be taken off because he gets tired. if he can find a solution to that he will be a much grater threat.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Richard said:
Arrogance is mostly a vital quality of the best leaders - even if not neccesarily obvious (indeed, it can be better if it's not).
Fleming possesses it in abundance, as do Ponting, Smith and Ganguly.
Which is why they're such good captains. Cronje had it aplenty, to name one other. Sir Alex Ferguson's greatness is helped by his arrogance.
Of course, it's not totally indispensible - as exampled by the like of Vaughan and Inzamam-Ul-Haq (who I actually rate as a pretty decent captain).
Give me an example of Stephen Flemings arrogance

bryce

International Regular
he is very modest is fleming, he must mean something to do with arrogance in stuff he does on the field, i.e the way he bats or tactics in the field - because he is definatley not an arrogant person

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
bryce said:
he is very modest is fleming, he must mean something to do with arrogance in stuff he does on the field, i.e the way he bats or tactics in the field - because he is definatley not an arrogant person
Yeah i guess so.. but i don't think arrogance is the right word i think he makes his presence felt on the field and commands respect through his proven ability as a leader.. certainly not arrogance. Hard Nosed maybe

bryce

International Regular
yeah i wouldn't use the word arrogant either, but i suppose the word is second nature for poms

JC_088

Cricket Spectator
Fleming cannot be classed as 'arrogant'. I haven't seen him do anything to suggest that he is arrogant

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
JC_088 said:
Fleming cannot be classed as 'arrogant'. I haven't seen him do anything to suggest that he is arrogant
Agree with that 200% . Flem is the most gentlemanly of all cricketers !! And a very, very decent guy on and off the field !

Getting back on topic , I agree with most comments on this thread on Shoaib.

He's a class act and truly brilliant bowler to watch !!

Like Murali , when he bowls you expect things to happen !!

He's an absolute entertainer (like Murali) and value for money in terms of entertainment he provides on the field of play !

He gives it his best and is a true fighter . What more can a Team, Coach or Captain ask .

Scallywag

Banned
JC_088 said:
Same with Ponting, call him arrogant if it helps you to deal with Australia's dominance but give some good examples of Ponting being arrogant.

C_C

International Captain
Same with Ponting, call him arrogant if it helps you to deal with Australia's dominance but give some good examples of Ponting being arrogant.
numerous examples of Ponting's arrogance exists- most notably him underestimating the WI before the ICC champions trophy.

And i dont have a problem with OZ dominance-you can take your blatent LIES and go somewhere else.
I've never in any post attributed AUS victories to umpiring inconsistencies and stuff like that as you claimed- yet another example of your blatent LYING, scallywag.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
numerous examples of Ponting's arrogance exists- most notably him underestimating the WI before the ICC champions trophy.
And, of course, he was the only person who did that wasn't he? 8-)

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
And you wonder people accuse you of what they accuse you of when you make comments like this 8-)

how exactly would you define arrogance as, if not a perception of someone's behaviour ?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The post I quoted highlights exactly why people have their opinion of you - out of just about every person who didn't really think WI had a chance, you've picked out 1.

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
The post I quoted highlights exactly why people have their opinion of you - out of just about every person who didn't really think WI had a chance, you've picked out 1.
murali and ponting were the most vocal about it but ponting was the most dismissive of it. to me, he comes across as arrogant, no the queit confidence of tugga.