• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib Akhtar = awesome

nibbs

International Captain
The guy is a brilliant bowler, definitely one of the best in the world. He has had his fair share of injuries, suspensions, and bowling action controversies, and as a result he hasn't played as much cricket as he should have over the years. But at the moment I couldn't imagine a more fearsome sight at the bowling crease.

I'd also like to commend his attitude, it's strange how much controversy has surrounded him because IMO he has perhaps the best attitude in the Pakistan team. He is always charging in and giving it everything, even when he's getting hit around, and he's one of the most committed fielders in the team. His catch to get out Clarke was priceless imo, his casual catch technique, Awesome.

But most of all I think he is a wonderful bowler, easily (consistently)the fastest in the world, but also a thinker who bowls brilliantly at the death in ODIs.

I agree that he is a great bowler, but I don't like the way he plays the game. Always doing things differently and thinking he's above everyone else.

nibbs

International Captain
Peanutbutterbar said:
I agree that he is a great bowler, but I don't like the way he plays the game. Always doing things differently and thinking he's above everyone else.
the way he plays the game is awesome. he's a real competitor who always gives 100%

C_C

International Captain
i love his runup to the crease, its one of the most intimidating.
But he aint a great-yet.
To be a great, you gotto succeed against all commers in all the opportunities you've had.
Akhtar bombed bigtime versus India.
Just coz he's made a bunny outta flat track bully Matty Hayden doesnt suggest he is a great.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
nibbs said:
the way he plays the game is awesome. he's a real competitor who always gives 100%
I really can't agree with that comment. Generally Shoaib gives 100% but...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Shoaib pitches the ball very well which is why he is dangerous. Its not just about pace.

Quality bowler. A few rash comments here and there but if an Aussie would have made them, they would be defended forever (example comments by Ponting).

Has been around for quite some time now at its time he is given his due respect as a top bowler.

Tony Blade

U19 Cricketer
Very good bowler, tries to give 100%.. And I think a few incidents have been blown out of proportion....

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
He comes across as arrogant and thinks he's bigger than the team to me. He's always sulking. Good cricketer yes but sometimes you think the team might be better off without his disruptive influence.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
C_C said:
several others do
McGrath, Ponting, Graeme Smith, Ganguly, Fleming,Lara, etc etc.
no biggie.
I agree that Shoaib comes across as arrogant, but none of these others except for Lara and Ganguly, plus Simon Jones.

C_C

International Captain
Buddhmaster said:
I agree that Shoaib comes across as arrogant, but none of these others except for Lara and Ganguly, plus Simon Jones.

ponting comes across as arrogant and has so many times. so does Graeme smith and McGrath
Fleming is a boderline case though but i've seen him being arrogant a few times.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
C_C said:
ponting comes across as arrogant and has so many times. so does Graeme smith and McGrath
Fleming is a boderline case though but i've seen him being arrogant a few times.
lol Fleming arrogant? I would say Scott Styris and Craig McMillan are probably the only real arrogant guys in the NZ team and i don't think that it is really a bad thing

bryce

International Regular
shoaib akhtar is along with shane bond my favourite bowler to watch, especially when either of them is knocking over aussies

cricket player

International Debutant
bryce said:
shoaib akhtar is along with shane bond my favourite bowler to watch, especially when either of them is knocking over aussies
good one mate.I really like both bond and akhtar. No one can challange akhtar and matthew hayden knows it better then any one else. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Except Kyle Mills. :blink:
Even though no-one noticed it because of incompetent Umpiring, Mills - amazingly - made Hayden look quite clueless in both Test and ODIs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard Rash said:
lol Fleming arrogant? I would say Scott Styris and Craig McMillan are probably the only real arrogant guys in the NZ team and i don't think that it is really a bad thing
Arrogance is mostly a vital quality of the best leaders - even if not neccesarily obvious (indeed, it can be better if it's not).
Fleming possesses it in abundance, as do Ponting, Smith and Ganguly.
Which is why they're such good captains. Cronje had it aplenty, to name one other. Sir Alex Ferguson's greatness is helped by his arrogance.
Of course, it's not totally indispensible - as exampled by the like of Vaughan and Inzamam-Ul-Haq (who I actually rate as a pretty decent captain).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
He comes across as arrogant and thinks he's bigger than the team to me. He's always sulking. Good cricketer yes but sometimes you think the team might be better off without his disruptive influence.
Think - Pakistan recently beaten by 491 runs.
But for Shoaib it would almost certainly have been a bigger defeat.
He's one of the few bits of quality left in the side ATM. He's about as indispensible as anyone has ever been.