• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Bond

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well i've noticed that Shane Bond is playing for Warwickshire today & i will be watching with a lot of intrigue to see how he goes in the next month.

Although Warwick's are batting first so its unlikely that Bond will do too much bowling today if any.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm particularly interested in the head-to-head with Chris Silverwood. CS looked very sharp the other night, generating some real pace off a greenish wicket.

Realistically, it's a match which Yorkshire must win too, as they look very isolated at the bottom of the table.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Shane Bond is likely to be the quickest bowler, the Counties will have seen this season?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think that's a near certainty - especially if he really winds it up (although I'm told that Devon Malcolm is still pretty sharp this season) .

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
lol Devon Malcom, maybe England should be considering him then..

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Apparently, the regulations regarding running down the wicket have put a stop to his test return.

His zimmer frame leaves holes in the pitch.

(sorry, Dev). 8D

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im pleased that Bondy is getting some good coaching from Bob Woolmer of the next couple of weeks. Woolmer knows what its like to have quicks in his team e.g. Donald, Klusener etc so he should be able to give him some useful tips.

I guess there is an anticipation that Bond should rip through the opposition, but im looking forward to seeing him bowl to Lehmann who has a toll on his bridge when he steps onto the County circuit.

Rich2001

International Captain
Shane Bond is likely to be the quickest bowler, the Counties will have seen this season?
Why how quick is Bond?

Because I would think: -

S.Jones (90-95mph), C.Sliverwood (90-94mph), D.Gough (85-95mph), A.Fintoff (90mph), C.White (88-90mph), S.Harmision (not sure but labled as one of the quickest bowler in England)

And endless amounts of players that top out at about 85 mph are just as quick

[Edited on 8/7/02 by Rich2001]

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Bond reached almost 155 k's in the West Indies which is 96 mph.

I've heard that Jones can be quick, but its not proven yet that he can reach 95 mph so at this stage you'd have to say that Bond is the quickest going on facts.

Thats interesting about Craig White, when he came here to NZ earlier in the year he looked no more than a medium pacer but he can bowl up to 90 mph!? he must really crank it up.

Rich2001

International Captain
Ok that's quick :D

S.Jones can bowl quick in the county game, but didn't really get going for England (going on reports I had heard previously on him)

S.Harmison, read in the papers today that he is a B.Lee type of bowler and can match his pace (well not sure how true that is, but I guess we will soon find out)

C.White, well it's hard to say about this guy he has a very deceptive sp?? action where it looks like he just bowls however he generates a lot more pace and he did get 90 mph consistantly however he had quite a bad injury which kept him out for a while and he is playing again now, but not quite with the same pace however in interview's he has said he feels it's coming back, but yes he still bowls 80-85 mph every ball and he has a very effective bouncer and slower ball. Also not bad for a guy that started out as an off spinner but a doggy action ment he changed to a fast/medium

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig White has lost about 4 mph over the last 3 years.

His 'quick' ball, though, was always a shock tactic - most deliveries around 76-80 mph, then one at 85+ up at the throat.

That's good bowling in my book - catch the batsman by surprise in the same way that all genuine speedsters should develop a 'slower' ball.

Now if anything was predictable today, it was that Shane Bond would use PACE with a capital 'what was that?' in the 4 overs he had against Yorkshire.

Now what would have been funny today would have been to see Lehmann's expression when he got Bond out. I bet he had a grin the size of a banana.

anzac

International Debutant
don't forget that Bond is only 1 tour back from a broken foot and has only played a total 6 Tests.

I think it would be safe to say that he will be better at the end of his series than at the begining.

Q - when was the last time any of the England 'quicks' bowled at over 90mph??? From what I have seen recently they have been all around 85 mph, which is just a shade over 130 kph - Bond was generally bowling 15kph quicker than that!!!! The Indian bowlers appeared to be around the 80mph mark.

From the limited coverage I have seen the current 'quicks' would be Ahktar & Lee regularly in the mid 150k's, Gillespie in the low 150's, Bond & Ntini in the mid to high 140's. (These are regular speeds each over - not 'fast' balls).

These seem to be the only ones I have seen regularly over the 140k mark. Butler is supposed to be around this mark but I have not seen any coverage or speeds per over, nor have I seen any recent stats to indicate how the other bowlers from WI & Pakistan are going.

Rich2001

International Captain
Q - when was the last time any of the England 'quicks' bowled at over 90mph??? From what I have seen recently they have been all around 85 mph, which is just a shade over 130 kph - Bond was generally bowling 15kph quicker than that!!!!
Well in the 1st Test S.Jones bowled at 93mph which is about 3mph slower that the speed Tim was talking about.

Also C.Sliverwood not currently in the team but bowls around the 90mph mark reached 93+mph a number of times in his last match county match.

S.Harmison, making his debut today was hovering around the 90mph mark today and on a more bowler firendly surface has topped 90mph reguarly in the county game

D.Gough, might not be quite as sharp as he was but still holds the quickest bowler crown of the current side which a top speed of around 94-95 mph

I can't remember his name (plays for Durham I think) who has been tipped as the next great fast bowler and has already topped 90mph consistantly in the county game at the age of 19

Well that's the ones that I can think of from memory, there are probley more which I have missed that Luckyeddie might know

anzac

International Debutant
well there you go then - as I said I was basing my comments on the limited coverage I had seen recently. It's certainly good to see some genuine 'quicks' coming back into the game if this is their 'average' speeds.

I think Gough will appreciate having some 'pace' around as he was in the same boat as Hadlee & Morrison both faced for NZ - a one man show (no disrespect to the other bowlers but their lack of pace blunts the effectiveness of any strike bowler).

I get concerned when we have bowlers with a good 'fast' ball being described as fast bowlers when their average is around the low to mid 130's. This to me is a good f/med pace. Similarly I dislike it when a former 'fast' bowler has dropped pace for whatever reason but is still referred to as being 'fast'. It's just a personal opinion but it sort of belittles the term or title of 'fast' bowler.

I saw a list of current 'fast' bowlers based upon top speed, where some of the deliveries had been recorded more than 4 years ago - hardly relevant even if they were still playing!!!!

I also think this explains why Lee and Ahktar are so popular with the public - genuine pace at last - they may not be so much interested in the niceties of the craft as in the sheer eye popping speed & intimidation they bring to the game - things are certainly never dull when either of them has the ball in hand.

I'm still looking to find stats on speed per delivery from international matches so as to get a better idea of a bowler's average pace per over. A 'fast' ball should be a shock tactic and a 'slower' delivery should be subtle (something Lee has yet to get the grasp of), either way they are only part of the bowler's arsenal.

Again it's just my opinion but to me it is more realistic whether or not the ball is coming at you at an average of 130 kph or 150 kph as not too many batsmen have a comfort zone much above 140 odd kph.

I guess the strength of the remaining bowlers also has an influence on whether a team can afford to have a genuine 'fast' bowler if he is expensive - no good having pace without control or penetration (see Heath Davis - great pace but waaaaay too expensive & inconsistant to have in the team).

On the other hand while Lee is not half the 'bowler' he was b4 injury (he now seems to want to blast them out rather than bowl them out - drops it too short & too wide & too often), he can be 'carried' as everyone is still taking wickets - just not big individual hauls as in the past.

OOppps - sorry, got a bit off track there.
All the better for Bond with other quicks around as he will need to develop his craft rather than just use pace to blast them out.

Cheers

:)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Certainly didn't do him any good today - a pal of mine (ok, a Yorkie) described Bond as 'rubbish' today, but I think that he may have been a little biased.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Bond's figures don't look too great at the moment, but im not sure how long he has actually been over in England.

In the end, I don't care how many wickets Bond takes for Warwicks just as long as he stays fit and performs at international level.

btw, I saw that Harmison reached 140 k's, 4 overs in to his first spell, did he go any higher?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not really. Harmison's speed was very consistent (I would have described it as 'sharp'), but he looked terribly nervous all day through.

Now nerves bring tension - and tension brings tightness which takes a bit of edge off the pace. Perhaps if he could relax, he'd add another couple of clicks.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess that was also applicable to Bond when he first played against Australia in the 2nd test at Hobart, he didn't even reach 145 k's, although the pitch was not really ideal for the quicks.