• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

McGrath takes aim at 'aeroplane' Shoaib

Shounak

Banned
http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/DEC/138425_AUS_24DEC2004.html

McGrath's just trumpetting to the world what an idiot he really is. Shoaib's the bowler that will most likely trouble Australia for the rest of the series and did trouble them at the WACA with his 5 wicket haul. It's a pathetic 'true blue' Aussie attempt to get under his skin.

Bowlers should bowl how they most feel comfortable. Not everyone has to bowl conventionally. Thommo didn't bowl conventionally at all and it worked for him. Shoaib's already proved himself as an elite sportsman at the top level and coaches and players shouldn't dictate to him how he plays his game.

Scallywag

Banned
shounak said:
http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/DEC/138425_AUS_24DEC2004.html

McGrath's just trumpetting to the world what an idiot he really is. Shoaib's the bowler that will most likely trouble Australia for the rest of the series and did trouble them at the WACA with his 5 wicket haul. It's a pathetic 'true blue' Aussie attempt to get under his skin.

Bowlers should bowl how they most feel comfortable. Not everyone has to bowl conventionally. Thommo didn't bowl conventionally at all and it worked for him. Shoaib's already proved himself as an elite sportsman at the top level and coaches and players shouldn't dictate to him how he plays his game.
I'm sure this will really really upset Shoiab, a superb sledge that even upsets the fans. Take a bow Glenn.

"He's a showman, and that's what he loves," said McGrath. "Cutting that run-up down might take a bit away from that and take a bit away from who he is. Maybe that's why he's holding on. *cut*
When you're bowling 6-minute overs it puts pressure on the other guys to get through their overs, plus you can only get through three or four overs at top pace before you really start feeling the pinch.*cut*
whereas I'm sure Shoaib's major and only goal is to be the quickest bowler in the world, if not of all time," he said. "He's the type of bowler that can just rip through sides. He's got that potential there but then he's got the potential to bowl a heap of rubbish as well."*cut*
I shortened my run-up and it felt ordinary, so I had to go back to my old one. Shoaib might be the same."

telsor

U19 12th Man
There are currently 81 posts in the "Should Shoaib Shorten His Run Up?" thread.

If that many people can venture an opinion, then why can't McGrath, who I suspect knows a fair bit about fast bowling than anyone here?

Furthermore, I suspect McGrath was asked a question by the media about this...If he just said 'no comment' to anything that might, possibly be considered contravertial, wouldn't people have more to complain about with players being boring and unwilling to venture an opinion?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
McGrath has always done this sort of thing, and it always seems to have an effect.

So why should he stop?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ifr thi8s kind of comments are going to affect the performance of players these are 'aimed' at, I think Aussies are providing the rest of the world with the one weapon they (the rest of the world) can use to finally dethrone the world champs :p

Either do that and, if you succeed, celeberate or, if you dont achieve anything, admit you are weaker than the Aussies and stop cribbing.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Various people have "targetted" particular Australian players in the past, particularly Warne, it has just been largely unsuccessful.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Various people have "targetted" particular Australian players in the past, particularly Warne, it has just been largely unsuccessful.
Exactly. So the trick is in not letting it affect you.

Langeveldt

Soutie
How these guys (Aussies and whoever they happen to be playing) can claim to be mates off the field, and playing the game in the right spirit is beyond me..

Why don't they sort it out like men if they hate each other.. This petty sniping and "targeting" is the lowest of the low... Why target anyone? We all know what the result is going to be before they get on the field..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
McGrath claimed he would get Tendulkar out 6 times out of 6 innings in the 2001 test series between India and Australia. Stuff like this isn't exactly new from him? He also said he'd do the same to Lara when the Windies toured Australia a while back. He actually achieved that goal though.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
IMO there is nothing wrong with McGrath giving his opinion on this issue. These personal battles make the game more interesting.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
shounak said:

I don't think Shoaib is going to take a great deal of notice anyway. I wouldn't go as far as to say he's an idiot, Shoaib sticking to his long run-up would probably benefit the Aussies as he only gets through about 5 overs at top pace before dropping back to the 130's. I think McGrath's comments are likely to have the reverse effect if anything, and the faster Shoaib trys to bowl the worse he gets. Shoaib is a very good player, but he'd prove himself more as an 'elite' sportsman if he actually managed to stay on the field and play more games.

I don't think McGrath denied that he has the ability to run through teams, he actually said so himself in the interview, but he does tend to bowl rubbish on occasions too - you can't really deny that.

Langeveldt

Soutie
ReallyCrazy said:
IMO there is nothing wrong with McGrath giving his opinion on this issue. These personal battles make the game more interesting.
For all the wrong reasons though.. Test cricket shouldn't need verbal jousts to be interesting..

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
McGrath has always done this sort of thing, and it always seems to have an effect.

So why should he stop?

yep, also, when your a pace bowler you should probably listen to guys like McGrath who have nearly 500 test wickets, and your coach....

he should at lease give it a go (in training, not a match unless he is comfortable)

Scallywag

Banned
Langeveldt said:
How these guys (Aussies and whoever they happen to be playing) can claim to be mates off the field, and playing the game in the right spirit is beyond me..

Why don't they sort it out like men if they hate each other.. This petty sniping and "targeting" is the lowest of the low... Why target anyone? We all know what the result is going to be before they get on the field..
Probably because the players dont go reading things that journalist twist around and quote out of context to make a story.

Players are obligated to talk to journalists which means that they must say something, being sensible enough to take what they say as just conversation and discussion is how most people react. Unfortunately you get some posters that think McGrath called a press conference and informed the world of his intention to upset Shoiab.

McGrath did not say anything that has not been reported over the last week, but simply because he is Glenn McGrath it is an opportunity for so called cricket supporters to make nasty personal attacks in a vain attempt to win back some pride lost to this great fast bowler.

Choora

State Regular
Scallywag said:
Probably because the players dont go reading things that journalist twist around and quote out of context to make a story.

Players are obligated to talk to journalists which means that they must say something, being sensible enough to take what they say as just conversation and discussion is how most people react. Unfortunately you get some posters that think McGrath called a press conference and informed the world of his intention to upset Shoiab.

McGrath did not say anything that has not been reported over the last week, but simply because he is Glenn McGrath it is an opportunity for so called cricket supporters to make nasty personal attacks in a vain attempt to win back some pride lost to this great fast bowler.
In McGrath's case there must be some kind of conspiracy, this great fast bowler is often found to have said something offensive about others.And its not journalists, even opponent cricketers have accused McGrath of misdeeds.

Choora

State Regular
The question is as to whether McGrath actually want Akhter to become a better bowler or whether he wants to unnerve Akhter? Hardly any Australian cricketer would like to see Akhter lasting ten overs (when he's bowling well) Its very obvious that McGrath is trying to unnerve Akhter and he actually went to the extend of insulting Akhter.However i must say that McGrath is good at such things and he probably knew that Akhter is pressure prone, whenever pressure is applied on Akhter, he fails to deliver. I have a feeling that in the second test a distracted Akhter would be probably bowl poorly and will get pasted.

Interestingly Akhter seems to be a target from everywhere ( Merv, Inzi,McGrath etc) ever since the Pak coach Bob Woolmer publicy expressed his concern over Akhter's long runup. It was none other than Pak's own coach who provided others a platform to attack Akhter.Woolmer should know by now where his priorities should be, he should know what is the actual weakness of Pak team which needs to be addressed immidiately (batting).Right now he's doing a terrible job by comming up with stupid statements and entering into war of words with Pak's ex-coach.

Maybe something is wrong with PCB, whoever gets associated with PCB ends up ending as a nut.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
I'm sure this will really really upset Shoiab, a superb sledge that even upsets the fans. Take a bow Glenn.

"He's a showman, and that's what he loves," said McGrath. "Cutting that run-up down might take a bit away from that and take a bit away from who he is. Maybe that's why he's holding on. *cut*
When you're bowling 6-minute overs it puts pressure on the other guys to get through their overs, plus you can only get through three or four overs at top pace before you really start feeling the pinch.*cut*
whereas I'm sure Shoaib's major and only goal is to be the quickest bowler in the world, if not of all time," he said. "He's the type of bowler that can just rip through sides. He's got that potential there but then he's got the potential to bowl a heap of rubbish as well."*cut*
I shortened my run-up and it felt ordinary, so I had to go back to my old one. Shoaib might be the same."
Completely agree with you mate

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
really.....

you would have thought 2 professionals would know better rather than to get involved in such slander.....

mind you an occasion such as this is harldy rare it has to be said