• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Cricket gets a new look

Marcus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Langeveldt said:
Another Tauntonian?? Where you from in this marvellous town??#

Good old Taunton and the County Ground in TAUNTON, rock on the sabres, although the way we are playing at the moment, Somerset desere to be a minor counties side......by the way the Bishops Hull end of the great end of Taunton produces the greatest players......Matt Bulbeck ring any bells?

Marcus

Langeveldt said:
<<--------- By the way, I don't look like that.. They don't make girls like that here :)
I know that u props didnt look like that anyway....looking at the quality of the female race in this town, it is quite poor.......wot a shame though :p

Langeveldt

Soutie
Marcus said:
Langeveldt said:
Another Tauntonian?? Where you from in this marvellous town??#

Good old Taunton and the County Ground in TAUNTON, rock on the sabres, although the way we are playing at the moment, Somerset desere to be a minor counties side......by the way the Bishops Hull end of the great end of Taunton produces the greatest players......Matt Bulbeck ring any bells?
Cool.. We play Bishops Hull cricket club, possibly the worst pitch ever! I took 4-21 bowling seam up so it must have been awful.. Im from just past the racecourse on the Corfe end of town..

Marcus

Langeveldt said:
Cool.. We play Bishops Hull cricket club, possibly the worst pitch ever! I took 4-21 bowling seam up so it must have been awful.. Im from just past the racecourse on the Corfe end of town..
Not the greatest pitch...but hey wot r u gunner do....4-21 great figures.....leg spin 4-16 though slightly beats urs.....corfe excellent.....wot team plays us from that area?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Oh.. I play for Stoke St.Mary.. If you turn right at the straight road that goes up onto the Blackdown hills towards Churchinford our ground is there.. Im actually a leggie by trade as well who bats a bit.. My best stats are 6-28 and 83* and I trialled for Somerset but they don't tend to waste their time with people who aren't from Millfield..

Not sure I will be playing you guys again.. We've been promoted twice and I might be off to Taunton Deane because I want a better standard of cricket..

Oh, and did you go to the evenings organised by Terry Jenner at the CG last year?? Me and Neil (forum member) went along.. Just wondering if you went..

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Marcus said:
Not the greatest pitch...but hey wot r u gunner do....4-21 great figures.....leg spin 4-16 though slightly beats urs.....corfe excellent.....wot team plays us from that area?
And thanks for the fine comments about the photography.. It warms my heart to know that my tireless work is appreciated by at least someone in the masses

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
Theres little difference between 40 and 50 over games. You still have the fielding restrictions at the start and the rush at the end. You just lose 10 middle overs which are generally just ticking along overs.
Which only happens to be the most important and difficult to learn part of the one-day game.
The 45-over game is comparable to the 50-over one; the 40-over game is only just so.
It would be infinately better for the main competition to be a 50-over game - haven't read the proposals in full, yet, but by the sound of things (and by reading Neil's analysis) it doesn't look like the greatest set-up.
Still, we'll see.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I love the way all the former professionals talk on about standardising the One Day game, so all first class cricketers play 50 over cricket, just like in an ODI game.. Saying we all need an extra 5 overs an innings so they are that little more prepared..

So, all the bigwigs in their stuffy little offices sit down.. "Right chaps, 40 overs, got to be the way forward" Love it :) The loonies have well and truly taken over the asylum

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Authorities make 3 bizarre decisions for every 1 good debatable decision.
Get used to it. 8-)

Marcus

Name the last Gud decision the authorities made.......u cannot count the 20/20 because theve ruined that....that was the only possible gud competition to come out of the ECB since the world cup was first formed......and even that was delayed for 5 years.....Stoke St Mary in relation to previous comments is my weak team.....i bagged 2 ducks against them 2 seasons ago, and dropped 2 easy ones......lucky i didnt bowl.....Leggies rock....fast paced bowling is overated......best ball of the century, shane warnes leg spinner to gatting......say no more.....although the ECB are likely to outlaw it within the new competition due to the fact its not interesting for television :@

Langeveldt

Soutie
Marcus said:
Stoke St Mary in relation to previous comments is my weak team.....i bagged 2 ducks against them 2 seasons ago, and dropped 2 easy ones......lucky i didnt bowl.....
What a small world..

I remember the game against you, I think that was the match where we had the minutes silence for Holly and Jessica..
I came out, opening I think with my usual test match style helmet and sponsered bat, asked for "two".. Strutting around like I owned the place..
Your captain, then proceded to put on a Left arm medium pace bowler, who was about 13. And I was bowled for 0 second ball.. Gotta hate cricket sometimes

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Marcus said:
Name the last Gud decision the authorities made.......u cannot count the 20/20 because theve ruined that....that was the only possible gud competition to come out of the ECB since the world cup was first formed......and even that was delayed for 5 years
They credited themselves in my view, and quite a few others, with their handling of a situation where the choice was between bad and terrible - in that they picked bad.

chris.hinton

International Captain
By removing Minor Counties teams you are get rid of the link between that and Club cricket levels.... Cricket Financially will die in these areas unless ECB give them something else like merge that and the Second Xi together?

Marcus

Langeveldt said:
What a small world..

Your captain, then proceded to put on a Left arm medium pace bowler, who was about 13. And I was bowled for 0 second ball.. Gotta hate cricket sometimes
I wouldnt worry that bowler is now in the somerset under 14 line up, scored 100 last year, and is the grandson of the late bill alley, some people get all the luck. I fink that was the game i played in, if i can rerember one of ur lads hit a beautiful ton.
In relation to minor counties.... y not have a 3rd divsion below the second county championship division...this would see the worst teams get relegated to the 3rd and the best minor county promoted to playe the big boys.....this would be great as it would improve the professional countires to avoid relegation.....and motivate minor counties to improve to get promoted and saty up.....although they could become the whipping boys of the division it would bridge the gap.....bringing closer 2nd xi with 1st xi cricket......im not biased in my opionion as somerset last season would of got relegated....a factor that would of forced changes within the club...... y sholdnt the minor counties get the chance to play real first class cricket....a new idea in its views

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I love it when Hingston gets bowled by kids. Things like that are what make cricket brilliant.

Promotion/relegation would not work in the County set-up because of the distinction between amateur and professional players. A minor county can't go from six three-day games and a handful of C&G/38Cup games to a full programme of 40+ matches without a huge financial outlay, which will then probably go to pot when as is likely they plummet back down again, left with a financial black hole to fill. The same holds for professional sides relegated. Expenditure would remain constant, and income would all but vanish, resulting in financial meltdown.