• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The One's That Got Away

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Marius said:
Somebody mentioned that Strauss' parents are English. I think they are South African, he still has family in South Africa.

Dale Benkenstein and Steve Elworthy who both played for South Africa were born in Zimbabwe, and I think the Flower brothers were born in Cape Town. Marcus Prior, who toured Zim with the English was also born in Joburg I believe. Another SA-born player may soon play for Aus as well. Justin Coetzee played for a WA XI against Pak, and took five wickets for 20-odd. He was born in Durban, and Coetzee is quite a common Afrikaans surname.
You'd be correct about young Justin, except it was a 2nd XI, but fear not he will crack the WA XI soon.

Also on the WA domestic front, 1D keeper/batsman Luke Ronchi was born in NZ - As much as I hate to admit it :p

Just out of interest, wasn't Courtney Browne from WI born in England?

Swervy

International Captain
what about Gordon Greenidge..I beleive he was actually British and had to make the decision whether to play for England or the West Indies..think he chose correctly

Gangster

U19 12th Man
badgerhair said:
Pound gets you a penny the answer's "India". There's a phalanx of Indian fans convinced that India are near-challengers to Australia, and that therefore any talk of anyone else being number two, especially England, is downright offensive.

Cheers,

Mike
Pound gets you a penny? That's a horrid exchange rate really isn't it?

Well for everyone's bemusement, here's the rankings of the 10 test teams.

1. Australia
2. Sri Lanka
3. India
4. England
5. Pakistan
6. South Africa
7. New Zealand
8. West Indies
9. Bangladesh
10. Zimbabwe

Gangster

U19 12th Man
Marius said:
If India, Sri Lanka or Pakistan come play in South Africa they will be thrashed. India may put up a bit of a fight but that's it. And how can SA be crap, because they have had an iffish year? Just over a year ago, they almost beat England in England, and Sri Lanka and India at home are both hard series. SA is just going through somewhat of a slump, but I expect them to pull back.
I don't know about that, South Africa seem quite incapable of handling Zimbabwe at the present time...will they win an ODI one of these days perhaps?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Neil Pickup said:
If someone's born in an aeroplane passing over a country's airspace, does it make them a citizen of that country? I'm not totally aware of the UK immigration rules, but I don't think that merely being born within these borders secures a right to citizenship/residence.
AFAIK you're a British citizen if your Dad is a British citizen.

This can create funny situations - take my cousin:

His mum is Norwegian, hence he's Norwegian by Norwegian rules
His dad is English and French, hence he's English and French by their rules
He was born in the Netherlands, hence he's Dutch, since the rule there is that any child born in the Netherlands is Dutch.

However, he has to claim these citizenships before he's 18, and that's a bit more complicated (to get the British citizenship, you have to get a reference from a citizen of good standing).

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Samuel_Vimes said:
AFAIK you're a British citizen if your Dad is a British citizen.

This can create funny situations - take my cousin:

His mum is Norwegian, hence he's Norwegian by Norwegian rules
His dad is English and French, hence he's English and French by their rules
He was born in the Netherlands, hence he's Dutch, since the rule there is that any child born in the Netherlands is Dutch.

However, he has to claim these citizenships before he's 18, and that's a bit more complicated (to get the British citizenship, you have to get a reference from a citizen of good standing).
So what citizenship does he have now?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
As far as I know, he has all four until the day he turns 18, at which point he'll lose his French and Dutch (unless he applies for that)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Gangster said:

1. Australia
2. Sri Lanka
3. India
4. England
5. Pakistan
6. South Africa
7. New Zealand
8. West Indies
9. Bangladesh
10. Zimbabwe
Care to explain how exactly Sri Lanka have proven themselves as the number 2 side in the world?

Here is Sri Lanka's record away from home since 2000:
vs Pakistan 2-1 (3)
vs South Africa 0-2 (3)
vs England 0-2 (3)
vs South Africa 0-2 (2)
vs West Indies 0-1 (2)
vs Zimbabwe 2-0 (2)
vs Australia 0-1 (2)
vs Pakistan 1-1 (2)

Aside from a win against Pakistan almost 5 years ago, nothing of note. A win against Zimbabwe and a drawn series against Pakistan. Could not even muster a win against the West Indies, easily the weakest of the 8 competitive test nations.

Total record of 5 wins, 4 draws, 10 losses... and two of those wins against an even weaker than usual Zimbabwe side. Not exactly number two in the world stuff.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Gangster said:

1. Australia
2. Sri Lanka
3. India
4. England
5. Pakistan
6. South Africa
7. New Zealand
8. West Indies
9. Bangladesh
10. Zimbabwe
really?
Not according to this http://www.icc-cricket.com/test/

1. Australia
2. England
3. India
4. Pakistan
5. Sri lanka
6. South Africa
7. New Zealand
8. West Indies
9. Zimbabwe
10. Bangladesh

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
really?
Not according to this http://www.icc-cricket.com/test/

1. Australia
2. England
3. India
4. Pakistan
5. Sri lanka
6. South Africa
7. New Zealand
8. West Indies
9. Zimbabwe
10. Bangladesh
I don't think all that highly of the ICC ranking system, but in this case I think that list is 100% correct, with 2-6 very close together.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sri Lanka?

Don't think anyone expected that one coming. This is a side who, like India, cannot tour for toffee, lost to an England side that included John Crawley in England in 2002, and have only got older since, and whose most recent home series against Australia resulted in a whitewash.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Gangster said:

1. Australia
2. Sri Lanka
3. India
4. England
5. Pakistan
6. South Africa
7. New Zealand
8. West Indies
9. Bangladesh
10. Zimbabwe
Bemusment?

No, just bias.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Care to explain how exactly Sri Lanka have proven themselves as the number 2 side in the world?
About the same reason that India are also ranked above England...

Gangster

U19 12th Man
marc71178 said:
About the same reason that India are also ranked above England...
Oh, and what have England done to be ranked over India? Well, surely they must have gone into India and beaten them last? Wait a gosh darn minute! That didn't happen! Well, they must have at least beaten them at home. Haw haw. Oh wait, that didn't happen either? Sheesh, this reality is hard to swallow.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, and it's about more than one series.

Remind us when India last won a series outside of Asia?

Remind us when they last won more than 4 games in row, let alone 8?

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
Gangster said:

1. Australia
2. Sri Lanka
3. India
4. England
5. Pakistan
6. South Africa
7. New Zealand
8. West Indies
9. Bangladesh
10. Zimbabwe
are these ratings done using some mathmatical way or are they gust opinion
if they are opinion then i see no way srilanka can be ranked over england or india or pakistan for that matter

tooextracool

International Coach
C_C said:
i am sorry but no batsman has survived in the IND middle order in the past 10 years without averaging 40.
Hussain aint a patch on Ganguly when it comes to ODI batting and behind him in test cricket as well.
err ones and FTB and the others not. and i dont think that it takes too much time to decide which one is what.

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
That maybe so, but he never displayed that brilliant captaincy in opting to bowl first against Australia in Brisbane in 2002, and the decision to leave Hoggard out at Perth when conditions would have suited him.
why would the conditions at perth suit hoggard?given that perth has always been bouncy which is not what hoggard thrives on.
every captain makes mistakes, hussain has done enough to suggest that he was a very good captain.