• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

British - losers?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard Rash said:
I have played both and from my experience i think League is definetly tougher. Have you seen some of the hits that get put in? They are huge!!! Add to that the fact that the NRL runs for 26 consecutive weeks compared to rugby where they have 11 games in the Super 12 and then a break. League is much tougher on the body.. As for Aussie Rules I am a Kiwi so only watched the Grand Final and you're right it's pretty fierce but i can't really draw a conclusion on how tough it is because of the lack of footage i have seen
Fair enough

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SpaceMonkey said:
The fact of the matter is Tim Henman was just never good enough. He was a top 20 player yes (which in its own right was magnificent)...and so people expected him to win wimbledon.
He's been much more than a top 20 player, and indeed still is much more than just "top 20"

Gangster

U19 12th Man
benchmark00 said:
ahahaha toughest game? c'mon man,lol... Rugby Union or Aussie Rules Footy kills that for toughness
Hmm, having seen both American Football games and Rugby and Aussie Rules matches, I can safely say this: although I respec rugby and arf players for not wearing pads, football players would utterly kill them were they playing rugby. Football players are massive human beings. Offensive lineman tend to be fat white guys who are 6-2 to 6-8 and weigh anywhere from 300-350 pounds. Defensive lineman tend to be amazingly ripped black guys who are 6-0 to 6-6 and weight 250-350 pounds. Perhaps the rugby guys could run from them, but if caught, I shudder to think. I won't even mention the sheer strength and speed combination of the running backs, cornerbacks, etc. Also no steroids or illegal drugs for sure. Football has the most rigorous drug testing system in any organized sport in the world.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Okay, we are now a class act at cricket.. With guts, pride, passion and application..

But after being arguably the best nation in the world ever, there is a long long way to fall.. Now we can't get an Olympic Games, a World Cup, celebrate anything properly, or do very much on the world stage, save bombing a few poor countries.. We are just one of the rest, a semi-powerful nation watching from the sidelines instead of dictating terms, by and large.. Thats where I think the losing attitude comes from..

Oh, and if you want an example of a region on the up, go to Shanghai..

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Gangster said:
Hmm, having seen both American Football games and Rugby and Aussie Rules matches, I can safely say this: although I respec rugby and arf players for not wearing pads, football players would utterly kill them were they playing rugby. Football players are massive human beings. Offensive lineman tend to be fat white guys who are 6-2 to 6-8 and weigh anywhere from 300-350 pounds. Defensive lineman tend to be amazingly ripped black guys who are 6-0 to 6-6 and weight 250-350 pounds. Perhaps the rugby guys could run from them, but if caught, I shudder to think. I won't even mention the sheer strength and speed combination of the running backs, cornerbacks, etc. Also no steroids or illegal drugs for sure. Football has the most rigorous drug testing system in any organized sport in the world.

Mate there is only one position for all your big, fat, steroid pumped american football players and that is prop. They would not fit any other position and therefore the majourity of them wouldn't even get on the field

benchmark00

Gangster said:
lol AFL players are fitter then rugby and NFL players and would be stronger than NFL players... a fat guy falling on a rugby or AFL player wouldnt hurt them..lol.. and as for the speed.. hmm i can safely say there would be Aussie rule football players that are faster

sir middle stump

School Boy/Girl Captain
Langeveldt said:
Okay, we are now a class act at cricket.. With guts, pride, passion and application..

But after being arguably the best nation in the world ever, there is a long long way to fall.. Now we can't get an Olympic Games, a World Cup, celebrate anything properly, or do very much on the world stage, save bombing a few poor countries.. We are just one of the rest, a semi-powerful nation watching from the sidelines instead of dictating terms, by and large.. Thats where I think the losing attitude comes from..

Oh, and if you want an example of a region on the up, go to Shanghai..
erm...USA ?

tooextracool

International Coach
SpaceMonkey said:
The fact of the matter is Tim Henman was just never good enough. He was a top 20 player yes (which in its own right was magnificent)...and so people expected him to win wimbledon.
not good enough? not long ago he beat both federer and roddick to win the masters. i beleive his head to head record against federer who is easily the best player in the world ATM is 3-6 to his advantage.

Gangster

U19 12th Man
Richard Rash said:
Mate there is only one position for all your big, fat, steroid pumped american football players and that is prop. They would not fit any other position and therefore the majourity of them wouldn't even get on the field

NFL (National Football Players) would kill your rugby players. Don't be a fool and think otherwise! Cornerbacks are often 6'2, 200-230 of pure muscle. They'd annihilate your guys.

Some think the lack of padding in rugby is homosexual in nature. WHy be tackled in pads when you can be tackled by a man and have his body be all over you? Gay rugby players... :D

benchmark00

Gangster said:
NFL (National Football Players) would kill your rugby players. Don't be a fool and think otherwise! Cornerbacks are often 6'2, 200-230 of pure muscle. They'd annihilate your guys.

Some think the lack of padding in rugby is homosexual in nature. WHy be tackled in pads when you can be tackled by a man and have his body be all over you? Gay rugby players... :D
I'd back the rugby players any day of the week, a little bit of physical contact and they'd drop like a fly... i think the gay remark wasnt necessary..

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most american football players wouldn't last 5 minutes on a rugby field, they're just too overweight. The way american football is played is very stop and start (so lard-arses can get away with being chronically unfit), along with a very narrow pitch, you just won't last a rugby game if you weigh over 280 pounds (20 stone) like a lot of the american footballers do. Then of course american footballers except for the quarterback, receivers and kickers have zero ball skills - the rest just run about and never have to catch/throw/kick the ball.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Gangster said:

My Dad has a story of when he was in the Navy, based up in Scotland. There was a group of Americans there, too, and the Americans challenged them to a game of Amercian football. The Americans won, of course and then our good old Royal Navy boys challenged them to a game of Rugby(Union :dry: *spits on floor*) which the Americans accepted. The problem was, American football has helmets and padding, and the Yanks gave up halfway through the rugby match saying it was too dangerous without safety wear!

C_C

International Captain
Rugby is more physical than NFL.
agreed
But it still cant match NHL in the physical aspect.
You get slammed around the entire game and a few open fights thrown in.
Takes a real tough cookie to survive that kinda punishment.

Gangster

U19 12th Man
Buddhmaster said:
Rugby players **** all over NFL players in toughness. But I still prefer AFL.
Here's a picture of a rugby player:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39936000/jpg/_39936575_worldrecord_getty.jpg

Here's a picture of a football player:
http://www2.raisport.rai.it/news/sport/nfl/200002/01/389739d3060a6/RayLewis1.jpg

You pick whichever you want to back you up in a fight. I'll take the football player.

Also, I apologize for the gay remark. It was childish (if true) but I didn't realize you had such thin skin. Play some football, it oughta toughen that up a bit...

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Gangster said:
Here's a picture of a rugby player:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39936000/jpg/_39936575_worldrecord_getty.jpg

Here's a picture of a football player:
http://www2.raisport.rai.it/news/sport/nfl/200002/01/389739d3060a6/RayLewis1.jpg

You pick whichever you want to back you up in a fight. I'll take the football player.

Also, I apologize for the gay remark. It was childish (if true) but I didn't realize you had such thin skin. Play some football, it oughta toughen that up a bit...
Still the rugby player. That queer picture won't fool me.