• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

To end the chucking debate once and for all

Langeveldt

Soutie
Wouldn't it make sense if we just got rid of the chucking law altogether and let bowlers do as they please? After all, its become such a batsman friendly game, it could well be like going back to the times of uncovered pitches. The game would be evened up slightly more at least, and nobody could be singled out as a cheat..

If it makes the record books look a bit skewed in say twenty years time, its no different to when covered pitches were introduced, just the reverse..

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
Wouldn't it make sense if we just got rid of the chucking law altogether and let bowlers do as they please? After all, its become such a batsman friendly game, it could well be like going back to the times of uncovered pitches. The game would be evened up slightly more at least, and nobody could be singled out as a cheat..

If it makes the record books look a bit skewed in say twenty years time, its no different to when covered pitches were introduced, just the reverse..
lol lets not go crazy....

Im just wondering, i was watching 'Inside Cricket' (which is an australian cricket show on Fox Sports), and i saw in the intro (and outro) a player (i think he was south african? could be wrong) came up and blaitantly threw the ball, to which the batsmen (sorta looked like from england) stepped away... i totally missed this incident? what happened? was there any backlash?? looked terrible, but funny,lol

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha that's Lance Klusener. I don't remember where that is from though. I've been wondering that as well.

And in answer to the thread... simply no.

benchmark00

Jono said:
Haha that's Lance Klusener. I don't remember where that is from though. I've been wondering that as well.

And in answer to the thread... simply no.
haha so it was klusener?? what was the go!?! haha :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
benchmark00 said:
Im just wondering, i was watching 'Inside Cricket' (which is an australian cricket show on Fox Sports), and i saw in the intro (and outro) a player (i think he was south african? could be wrong) came up and blaitantly threw the ball, to which the batsmen (sorta looked like from england) stepped away... i totally missed this incident? what happened? was there any backlash?? looked terrible, but funny,lol
Jono said:
Given that I watched it and the only South African games I've watched recently were the Champions Trophy (before the obvious, in which Klusener did not play) it had to be then.
It also had to be against Bangladesh, because we couldn't watch the West Indies run-chase live, because some other game had been carried over.
And to clear up any potential misunderstandings - he had clearly lost his run, but for a joke he carried on and pretended to bowl\throw the ball - maybe a joke with in mind all the chucking analysis that was known to be going on in the tourney.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:

Remember this from a while back when you suggested it - IMO there is a better solution, and that's making a brace such as the one used in the Murali experiment (I've no doubt whatsoever that a featherweight one could be designed) part of compulsary clothing to ensure that the old rules and ideals are finally followed (as they clearly have never actually been), without anyone being physically able to deliberately or accidentally break them.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Langeveldt said:

Am i supposed to take YOU seriously after reading that?

Mr Mxyzptlk

If they removed the chucking law, I'd not only make my way into international cricket by next year, but I'd be taking shedloads of international wickets. Enough with this bowling action rubbish... charge to the crease and pelt it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Fair point. I'd be happy to return to relying on the field umpire solely for his judgement. We trust the umpire to be entirely independant and objective in his rulings over the game, so why not with throwing? If the square leg umpire believes that the bowler straightens his arm and therefore does not bowl a legal delivery, he calls it a no-ball. The bowler can correct his action or leave the attack, and the batting side recieves one run.

Fairly simple.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
benchmark00 said:

haha i was watching inside cricket, looked really funny. Looked like he ****-uped his action

Deja moo

International Captain
The light weight brace suggestion seems best to me. Totally takes the elbow out of the equation. Every bowler except Sarwan would need to wear one .

cricket player

International Debutant
ending the chucking debate is like not arresting a person who run away from jail.Not chucking means bowling with a straight hand perhaps not bending your elbow but as you can see half of the international bowler's do bend there elbow to a certin degree.
i wont get rid of the chucking debate but i will check certin player's for example shoiab akhtar,murli,shabbir ahmad,vaas,harbahjan singh, etc etc etc these are the player's that i really do suspect of chucking and if you look at there bowling stats you wont see any of them bowling average of above 25 which means people who chuck does really give batsman a hard time.personally for my point of view as batsman wont want to se these five six bowler's bowling as good as people who bowl with a straight hand.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:

Why dont we just cut off their arms and instead they kick the ball towards the stumps, howzat?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
cricket player said:
ending the chucking debate is like not arresting a person who run away from jail.Not chucking means bowling with a straight hand perhaps not bending your elbow but as you can see half of the international bowler's do bend there elbow to a certin degree.
i wont get rid of the chucking debate but i will check certin player's for example shoiab akhtar,murli,shabbir ahmad,vaas,harbahjan singh, etc etc etc these are the player's that i really do suspect of chucking and if you look at there bowling stats you wont see any of them bowling average of above 25 which means people who chuck does really give batsman a hard time.personally for my point of view as batsman wont want to se these five six bowler's bowling as good as people who bowl with a straight hand.
What about Sanwar Hossain and Shoaib Malik?

From memory they have fairly high bowling averages.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Deja moo said:
The light weight brace suggestion seems best to me. Totally takes the elbow out of the equation.
If the heavy steel one can't, I don't see how a light one could.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Remember this from a while back when you suggested it - IMO there is a better solution, and that's making a brace such as the one used in the Murali experiment (I've no doubt whatsoever that a featherweight one could be designed) part of compulsary clothing to ensure that the old rules and ideals are finally followed (as they clearly have never actually been), without anyone being physically able to deliberately or accidentally break them.
I think wearing any sort of stuff (even if its light) on the elbow would hinder the bowler quite a bit