• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Team in 8 years

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Is there a shortage of quality young players to fill the shoes of Ponting, Gilchrist, McGrath and Warne? Gilchrist seems covered with Ronchi, Crosthwaite (spelling) and Dawson. White will end up the main spinner with Hauritz filling the "MacGill" role. I'm not sure whether Shaun Tait will last. I'm sure there will be a 15 year old now who will be in the team.

Inness
Dighton? How old is Dighton?
Ferguson
Clarke
Watson
Ervine
Ronchi
White
Cleary
Bracken
Tait

Last edited:

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
And also you cant really say who will be in the team in 8 years time, in that time we might have 3 Michale CLarkes come in, guys we've never heard of before make the team. For example, I would put in the U-19 Keeper and captain of QLD in the Australian team in 8 years when hes 26. But all you guys dont know him, so Its hard to speculate about such things...

telsor

U19 12th Man
I think 8 years is too far to look ahead.

Most of the players in the team then are mid-low 20's now, and still developing.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I know it's too long but i'm more just looking to who could be future Australian stars and it's interesting to name the team in 8 years wouldn't you agree? Obviously none of us will get it right because lets have a shot

Buddhmaster

International Captain
So really you're asking who of the young guys now will be regular, senior players for Australia in 8 years time. If you are, then Clarke will definetly.

Hoggy31

International Captain
My team in 8 years:

Test:
Travis Birt
Ben Cameron
Marcus North
Michael Clarke
Callum Ferguson
Mark Cosgrove
Shane Watson
+Adam Crosthwaite(wk)
Cameron White(c)
Paul Rofe
Shaun Tait

One Day:
Travis Birt
Mark Cosgrove
Marcus North
Michael Clarke
Callum Ferguson
George Bailey
Shane Watson
Adam Crosthwaite(wk)
Cameron White(c)
Doug Bollinger
Shaun Tait

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
There's probably a 12-year-old kid somewhere in Sydney who will be 20 in eight years time, and all the media will be screaming for him to be selected every time he scores a run... bit of a pointless exercise, really :)

Josh

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
There's probably a 12-year-old kid somewhere in Sydney who will be 20 in eight years time, and all the media will be screaming for him to be selected every time he scores a run... bit of a pointless exercise, really :)
Yeh, but they're only selections based on who's around now.

Michael Dighton (TAS)
Marcus North (WA)
Phil Jaques (NSW)
Michael Clarke (NSW) (C)
David Hussey (VIC)
Adam Crosthwaite (VIC) (WK)
Adam Voges (WA)
Shane Watson (QLD)
Cameron White (VIC) (VC)
Shaun Tait (SA)
Adam Griffith (TAS)

12th: Nathan Hauritz (QLD)

Dave Hussey might still be around. I think he's 26 now... I have a feeling he'll be one of those that's around forever.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't think that much of Voges, I was impressed with his century but you can't back someone only on North Sydney Oval

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Apart from Voges' century he has done absolutely squat.

In grade it is a different case, last check he averaged near on 60 for the season, and mid 50's over the past 3 seasons - However untill he puts in some consistant performances for the WA side, there is little chance of him representing Australia. Talent is there, though.

A name I'd be keeping in mind for the future is Justin Coetzee, tall left arm all rounder, in the Brendan Julian type. Ripped Pakistan up in the WA 2nd XI, is having a good time for Scarborough, who knows what the future holds for him.

Pfft, call me biased, but most people will know how high I rate Luke Ronchi. Glovework is amazing, just needs to mature as a batter a bit (take out the 2 first ball ducks from his 1D record and he has a decent set of averages). Havn't seen much of this Crossthwaite bloke (in real life that is), but given the Vics travel here in January I'll keep an eye on him - I refuse to comment about a player who I've seen little of.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
Sydney of course being in NSW ;)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
8 years is too far away - but in 5 years time I think Australia are in trouble. There are only a few promising players coming through.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Josh said:
Yeh, but they're only selections based on who's around now.

Michael Dighton (TAS)
Marcus North (WA)
Phil Jaques (NSW)
Michael Clarke (NSW) (C)
David Hussey (VIC)
Adam Crosthwaite (VIC) (WK)
Adam Voges (WA)
Shane Watson (QLD)
Cameron White (VIC) (VC)
Shaun Tait (SA)
Adam Griffith (TAS)

12th: Nathan Hauritz (QLD)

Dave Hussey might still be around. I think he's 26 now... I have a feeling he'll be one of those that's around forever.
In 8 years time it will be towards the end of 2012. I find it hard to see David Hussey at almost 35 still going around the Australian team, if he ever makes the side at all.

bryce

International Regular
there was a real young kid in the autralia under 19's this year, he was a 17 year old and his name was henriques - he batted at four and was the equal leading wicket taker, i imagine they will be expecting a bit out of him in years to come

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yep, he will start playing 2x Xi for NSW in the new year now hes finished his HSC, will be very interesting to see how he goes

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
White has a hell of alot of impriving to do if he ever wants to play for Australia, let alone captain.

the spinners - Krezja, White, Hauritz, Doherty... umm some kid unknown as yet

of those Doherty and Krezja are the most likley to suceed at international level... both still to prove themselves at FC level

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
James90 said:
Inness
Dighton? How old is Dighton?
Ferguson
Clarke
you are talking about matthew innes (young opening bat for footscray), not matthew inness (opening bowler for vic and essendon), right?

and that queensland captain from the under 19s? yeh, pity he's a spud.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
henriques took very few wickets in the under 19 carnival this year, although this can generally be attributed to the fact that he was too good to get a lot of blokes out. doees bowl with genuine pace. hurt his back during the carnival though, and has hurt it a fair few times now. has a rookie contract with nsw already. and is a good bat.