• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

McGrath returns to #1 in PwC ratings

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SirBloody Idiot said:
Surely, others have played better then a bloke not playing at all.
Why on Earth should someone be discredited for not playing?!?!?!
It's not their fault they're not playing!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
Why on Earth should someone be discredited for not playing?!?!?!
It's not their fault they're not playing!
It's not that the player is discredited, but rather that he shouldn't be credited. Thus other players who are credited for playing gain ground and ultimately surpass. In theory anyway.

Sehwag309

Banned
Well, congrats to Mcgrath but I keep wondering why hasn't kumble gone up

64 wickets outta the 74 v/s Pak/Aus/Rsa with 6 fers @24

Whats the calculation like?

He is still at 7 or 8 something

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I believe Kumble has in fact gone up quite a bit. The thing that must be remembered is that Kumble doesn't have a brilliant test average over his whole career, and although he takes a lot of wickets per test that does have an impact. He has also never achieved the same results outside of India.

His average this year is significantly better than his career average, so he has gone up a number of places and is now quite high in the top 10, in fact he is the second highest rank spin bowler now, having overtaken Shane Warne. His results from prior to this season still have a bit of an impact however, so he isn't in the top 5.

Sehwag309

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
I believe Kumble has in fact gone up quite a bit. The thing that must be remembered is that Kumble doesn't have a brilliant test average over his whole career, and although he takes a lot of wickets per test that does have an impact. He has also never achieved the same results outside of India.

His average this year is significantly better than his career average, so he has gone up a number of places and is now quite high in the top 10, in fact he is the second highest rank spin bowler now, having overtaken Shane Warne. His results from prior to this season still have a bit of an impact however, so he isn't in the top 5.
Hmm, AFAIK he had a 7for in Aus, another 6fer or something in Pak

Also, I have been seeing him around 7-8 b4 Aus at home(or in between), he did take another 7for in that series too

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag309 said:
Hmm, AFAIK he had a 7for in Aus, another 6fer or something in Pak

Also, I have been seeing him around 7-8 b4 Aus at home(or in between), he did take another 7for in that series too
Anil Kumble's home record:
47 tests, 272 wickets @ 22.87, strike rate of 55.88 and economy rate of 2.46

A truly brilliant record by any standard.

Anil Kumble's away record:
45 tests, 172 wickets @ 35.76, strike rate of 80.32 and economy rate of 2.67.

Much, much poorer.

Deja moo

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Anil Kumble's home record:
47 tests, 272 wickets @ 22.87, strike rate of 55.88 and economy rate of 2.46

A truly brilliant record by any standard.

Anil Kumble's away record:
45 tests, 172 wickets @ 35.76, strike rate of 80.32 and economy rate of 2.67.

Much, much poorer.

But the PWC ratings do not take entire careers into consideration, or atleast shouldnt....it wouldnt make sense.

Kumbles record in away series' over the past two years is very very good:

Australia in Australia: 24 wickets in 3 tests at 29.5 with 3 five-fors.

Pakistan in Pakistan: 15 wickets in 3 tests at 25.5 .

I do not know the Bangladesh results, but theyre sure to be good.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
PwC takes in to account the ratings of the people you dismiss and your current rating, and results are weighted more heavily for recent matches.

As far as the specifics are concerned, I don't know, and I don't think the ratings calculations are public, although I could be wrong about that.

Sehwag309

Banned
Hmm, wonder how they do it!

Debatable I suppose

Interestingly thir FAQ's already safe-guard them against Bias issues, dunno if they had that problem or feeling guilty 8-)

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sehwag309 said:
Well, congrats to Mcgrath but I keep wondering why hasn't kumble gone up

64 wickets outta the 74 v/s Pak/Aus/Rsa with 6 fers @24

Whats the calculation like?

He is still at 7 or 8 something
It's all to do with his career in total for someone like him - his recent form is far better than his earlier parts, but the earlier parts still have a bearing.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sehwag309 said:
Hmm, wonder how they do it!
It ranks each attack as a whole to determine how good they are.

Also takes into account things like the match conditions (ie 5-10 when no side breaks 100 in any innings is ranked less than 4-50 out of an innings of 350)

Gangster

U19 12th Man
Link said:
What are you suggesting
He's suggesting that Sanath Jayasuriya, the opening batsman for Sri Lanka and part-time left arm orthodox spinner is a better test bowler than Brett Lee, the Australian fast bowler who rains 150 kmh deliveries on his opponents.

And he's right.

bryce

International Regular
jayasuriya has been getting a few wickets in tests of late whereas lee's form in the last year or two has been poor to say the least, i can't see how that happened either