• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies player dispute takes another turn

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Baseball is a far more commercial game with so much more invested in it. It can also be argued that it's more physically demanding, considering that 162 games are played in around 180-190 days.

Cricket isn't near as prosperous as American sports. TBH I think American sports are ridiculous in the way they pay players. Athletes don't deserve that much.
I guess you say that about footballers as well.

I was astounded to read people like Beckham, Raul, Ronaldo, Figo, and Zidane all make 6m euros a season tax free. That is unbelieveable. I hope a Barcelona fan doesn't get elected anytime soon for their sake.

Craig

World Traveller
Is there any truth to the story/rumour that Lara is no certainty to be captain the West Indies Liam?

I for one would expect him to be?

Dydl

International Debutant
Luckily, I haven't seen Lara bat for ages, it will be enjoyable-not as if that would be unusual when he is in form.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
You just couldn't link to CWs coverage of the story, couldja? :p
Don't know how to zoom to the bottom of the page, which is what I'd have had to do. :)

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Happy with the squad, but disappointed (though by no means surprised) that the WICB haven't seen fit to explain the appointment of Chanderpaul as VC.

This characteristic PR faux pas will only increase speculation that Shiv has been rewarded for "supporting" the Board/Digicel during the contract disputes. The Trinidad Express has a source "close to the WICB" confirming that Bennett King's selection panel recommended that Sarwan retain the VC role. Well-informed people on the Caribbeancricket.com Message Board are suggesting that Sarwan didn't impress with his attitude during the camp. Either way it would seem to be sensible for the Board to make a statement.

Daren Ganga meanwhile, has criticised the non-selection of himself or any of his regional champion Trinidad one-day team. A bit rich coming from someone who has had as many chances - and failures - as poor old Daren.

(EDIT: link to Ganga article: http://www.caribbeancricket.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1638)

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't see any benefit in Chanderpaul receiving the vice-captaincy. Not only is he not captaincy material, but did Sarwan really do anything wrong? IMO it's only positive for Sarwan to get more responsibility as he is the future of West Indies cricket, not necessarily Chanders and Lara.

As you say, the "reward" seems the only possible explanation and that in itself is ridiculous and only increases the shame I feel concerning the WICB.

Regarding Daren Ganga, I'd like to hear who he would have preferred out of the side (which is basically the same team that won the CT) to accomodate his domestic champs.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Some folks have said that Sarwan's always been a bit iffy about being captain and Chanderpaul has always expressed a great desire for the captaincy. Also, he's Guyana captain.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally I've always simply thought that vice-captains cause far more problems than they solve.
Vice-captaincy is much best left to spontenaity when neccessary - it causes all sorts of problems when you get chopping-and-changing such as this, not to mention the assumed "natural succession".