Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: WI of the 80's or Australia Current?

International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar
    I'm sorry but after Australia's performance on the weekend of absolutely annhiliating the Pakistan team who are supposedly the third best I don't care how good the Windies were we woulda won
    WCC - Manager of Warwickshire

Banned
    The Aussie bats would make enough runs for the bowlers to rout the West Indies.

The current Aussie bats are not like the batsmen of the 70' & 80' and would not be scared and would back themselves. Plus the depth of the batting would get at least 300 every time. Thats if you played on todays pitches.

On pitches in the past they may not score as many runs but the bowling would restrict the West Indies to a gettable target. Players like Gilespie and Kaspa woulld be leathal. Warne would dominate and absolutely bamboozle the WI's.

In the program for the first test at the WACA there is an interview with Walsh and he said that this current Australian team is the best team ever.

C_C
    C_C you seriously have a disliking to australia
    a preposterous claim, considering that i always back up my views with evidence , never denied credit where credit is due and have openly praised many OZ players.

C_C
    I'm sorry but after Australia's performance on the weekend of absolutely annhiliating the Pakistan team who are supposedly the third best I don't care how good the Windies were we woulda won
    what has third best or 2nd best gotto do with it ?
    the WI annihilated the third best teams during its time too.

The Aussie bats would make enough runs for the bowlers to rout the West Indies.

The current Aussie bats are not like the batsmen of the 70' & 80' and would not be scared and would back themselves. Plus the depth of the batting would get at least 300 every time. Thats if you played on todays pitches.
    I dispute that. WI had four great bowlers...OZ have two,one good and one who's mediocre.

WI pace four prong were dominant on the placid pitches as well as the fast bowling conductive pitches.
    apart from Langer,Ponting and Martyn, rest of the batsmen would struggle mightily against the WI four-prong as they got no breathing room.

On pitches in the past they may not score as many runs but the bowling would restrict the West Indies to a gettable target. Players like Gilespie and Kaspa woulld be leathal. Warne would dominate and absolutely bamboozle the WI's.
    gillespie and kaspa being lethal ?
    Mate- the WI batsmen had bowlers like Gillespie and Kaspa for lunch in their domestic cricket.
    They wouldnt get a peep for the WI bowling team...not even for the 5th bowler spot as that is occupied by one mister Colin Croft.

Warne would dominate and absolutely bamboozle the WI's.
    he would do very well..but dominate and bamboozle ?
    hardly.
    The likes of Haynes,Viv and Lloyd were very very proficient at playing spin and they handled great spinners like Bedi and Chandra pretty damn well.
    Warne is superior to them so he'd do better...but bamboozle ? umm no.

In the program for the first test at the WACA there is an interview with Walsh and he said that this current Australian team is the best team ever.
    counterbalance that with about 5x that number who think WI were better.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    whats ur msn? C_C i wanna ask you something

Btw i don't think all of the australian batsmen would of struggled as you point out.
    What about Hayden, ponting though i still think WI would of still dominated australia
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

C_C
    is there a private message option on this board ? i am not entirely comfortable giving out my msn contact on a public messageboard...

Ponting would do well i think..that guy can handle express quality pace. Hayden i seriously doubt. He's come up short more often than not when faced with quality express pace and bear in mind that WI boasted the highest quality of express pacers to take the field as a bowling unit.

International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    Warne would be the leading wicket taker no doubt because there were no spinners arywhere near his class around, and still arn't.
    Only to those that base their opinions on hype and don't look at the facts. As a matter of easily proveable fact Murali is a much better spinner than the overrated Australian. For a start, Warne has failed dismally against the best players of spin – India (43 wickets at 47.18). Murali has done far better against them (51 wickets at 32.94). Secondly, Murali has a better average, strike rate, economy rate, and takes more wickets per match than Warne; despite the fact that Warne has not had to play against the world's best team. Thirdly, Murali has a better record against all countries, except South Africa and Pakistan. Fourthly, Murali is far more consistent. Warne has been known to be hammered occasionally and although Murali has previously been nullified to a degree, he is very rarely hit around the park.

Warne
    45 7 150 1 3.33 3rd Test v Ind in Aus 1991/92 at Sydney
    30 7 122 1 4.07 1st Test v Ind in Ind 1997/98 at Chennai
    42 4 147 0 3.50 2nd Test v Ind in Ind 1997/98 at Kolkata
    34 3 152 1 4.47 2nd Test v Ind in Ind 2000/01 at Kolkata
    30 6 108 2 3.60 3rd Test v SA in SA 2001/02 at Durban
    32 4 115 2 3.59 1st Test v Ind in Ind 2004/2005 at Nagpur

Murali
    36 6 123 1 3.42 1 L 1st Test v Pak in SL 1994 at Colombo
    54 3 224 2 4.15 2 L 1st Test v Aus in Aus 1995/96 at Perth
    33 6 136 0 4.12 1 L 1st Test v NZ in NZ 1996/97 at Dunedin

Fifthly, Warne is part of a stronger bowling attack. If Warne was of equal ability to Murali he would take less wickets per match than Murali (because there are four good bowlers competing for wickets), but would have a lower average and strike rate (because greater pressure is put on the batsman by bowlers at the other end). For an example of this take two great fast bowlers, Marshall and Hadlee - Marshall having a better average because the high class West Indian bowlers put greater pressure on the batsmen, but Hadlee took more wickets per match because there was less competition for them. Same with Lindwall vs Bedser, Ambrose vs Akram, Laker vs Tayfield, and many, many others. Murali takes more wickets per match and has a lower average and strike rate. Sixthly, a high proportion of Warne's test wickets are numbers 10 and 11 in the batting order; Murali does well against all batting positions. When they were both on 527 wickets, Warne had taken the wickets of batsmen 8-11 190 times, Murali had done it 162 times - a significant difference of 17%. And we all know it is far more valuable to be able to defeat players of high ability, because they can really make you suffer. Tailenders will usually get out sooner rather than later anyway, and very rarely turn a match on its head (with the bat anyway). What’s the point in Warne taking the wickets of Nehra or Walsh game after game, if he cannot trouble Tendulkar or Lara? Seventhly, although Warne has been less effective since his shoulder injury, even at his peak (1993-97) he was not as good as Murali has been this century.

Mat O M R W Ave Best 5wi 10w SR Econ
    Murali 2000-2003 37 2347.3 684 4990 258 19.34 9-51 22 10 54.5 2.13
    Warne 1993-97 57 2876.5 938 6457 277 23.31 8-71 11 3 62.3 2.24

Eighthly, you could take a look at their respective records in the English county championship (note Murali has played in the first division and Warne the second, and Murali was by far the star bowler in every season he played, while several Hampshire bowlers took wickets more cheaply than Warne in both his seasons):

Mat O M R W Ave Best 5wi 10w SR Econ
    Murali 19 1049.1 322 2195 149 14.73 7-39 17 6 42.2 2.09
    Warne 24 962.5 259 2682 113 23.73 6-34 8 0 52.7 2.69

Ninethly, one reason why Warne is rated so highly is Gatting’s reaction to the so called “ball of the century.” The shock that that ball sent through the cricketing world was immense because it was thought no one else could bowl that delivery. Actually, Warne was not the only one to bowl such a delivery in recent years, Abdul Qadir had bowled the same delivery a few years earlier, it just wasn’t highlighted at the time because it wasn't on such a big stage. Murali bowled similar balls which were every bit as good to both Sadgapan Ramesh and Mark Butcher a few years ago. Finally, Murali was recently voted the best bowler ever in an objective Wisden analysis.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/2572069.stm
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

No theres no Private messages on this board

C_C
    Excellently put, Zebra.
    Warne's gatting ball is easily comparable to Chandra's stunner to Viv, Qadir's delivery to the english and Murali's delivery to Vaughan in the last ENG tour of SL.

C_C
    Quote Originally Posted by GoT_SpIn
    No theres no Private messages on this bored,
    in that case,do you mind giving your msn contact ?

Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    in that case,do you mind giving your msn contact ?
    add me xiw4life@hotmail.com

International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar
    Ponting and Martyn would score 100's, Gillespie would take 10 wickets in the match

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    No Murali, please, no...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Australia would have easily have been bowled out for less than 200 or 150 if they were facing the West Indies pace attack. Akhtar and Sami alone cannot restrict Australia they need adequate support, the West Indies paceman would have given that continued and sustained support. I don't know if it would be the same if the current Aussie were consistenly facing paceman of that quality, I'm pretty sure they would rise to the challeng, perhaps with the exception of Ponting and Clarke.

I think with the attacking abilities and the 'win at all costs mentality' of the West Indies 80s side that would negate Warne's ability a little, as McGrath, they have rarely been challenged in the last 8-10 years. It would be great to see these two sides face off, unfortunately it won't happen.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    C_C is there any chance of you acknowledging anyone elses opinion other than yours????...
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information