• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WI of the 80's or Australia Current?

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Swervy said:
coz its damned hard to break into an already winning team..something McDermott didnt have to worry about,something Hogg didnt need to worry about..and lawson. A bowler like Kaspa would sroll into some of those 80's Australian sides
Its hard to break into a winning team if your not good enough! Fact is he couldnt oust guys like fleming and reiffel.Where do you rate them btw?
Because we are talking hypotheticals the burden of proof is on your hands, or at least the burden of foundation.
The averages 30 in test match cricket and your making out like hes averaging the low 20s. The guy is AVERAGE. Hes had a good season. A single season which means jack **** in the greater scheme of things.
Lets see him do it for 5 years, hang on lets see him hold his place in the side for 5 seasons lol.

Last edited:

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Arrow said:
Lets see him do it for 5 years, hang on lets see him hold his place in the side for 5 seasons lol.
He'll be 37 :D

I think holding his place in Perth when there was such a push for Brett Lee and then getting 7/36 for the match says alot.

Swervy

International Captain
Arrow said:
Its hard to break into a winning team if your not good enough! Fact is he couldnt oust guys like fleming and reiffel.Where do you rate them btw?
Because we are talking hypotheticals the burden of proof is on your hands, or at least the burden of foundation.
The averages 30 in test match cricket and your making out like hes averaging the low 20s. The guy is AVERAGE. Hes had a good season. A single season which means jack **** in the greater scheme of things.
I dont need to prove my opinion to be correct....it is only an opinion which happens to be shared by a few other people

You say 'Fact is he couldnt oust guys like fleming and reiffel'..which may be true, but does that mean the selectors made the correct decisions...I am not saying they didnt make the right selections, I had a lot of time for both Fleming and Reiffel, but just because Kaspa didnt make the side (despte ripping England apart in 97 at the Oval), doesnt make him a worse bowler than those two.

Considering his age, I would be very surprised if he did keep his place for 5 years, that doesnt mean he isnt a very good bowler.

Again, I think this is a case of being swayed too much by stats.If you watch the guy bowl, you can instantly see that he is an accurate and intelligent bowler,and very capable of taking wickets.I certainly think he is bowling better than many/most Australian have done in the last 20 odd years

You say that it means jack**** that he has had one good international season..I beg to differ,if the international season he is doing brilliantly in is the current season.He has grabbed this opportunity well

Last edited:

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Swervy said:
I dont need to prove my opinion to be correct....it is only an opinion which happens to be shared by a few other people

You say 'Fact is he couldnt oust guys like fleming and reiffel'..which may be true, but does that mean the selectors made the correct decisions...I am not saying they didnt make the right selections, I had a lot of time for both Fleming and Reiffel, but just because Kaspa didnt make the side (despte ripping England apart in 97 at the Oval), doesnt make him a worse bowler than those two.

Considering his age, I would be very surprised if he did keep his place for 5 years, that doesnt mean he isnt a very good bowler.

Again, I think this is a case of being swayed too much by stats.If you watch the guy bowl, you can instantly see that he is an accurate and intelligent bowler,and very capable of taking wickets.I certainly think he is bowling better than many/most Australian have done in the last 20 odd years

You say that it means jack**** that he has had one good international season..I beg to differ,if the international season he is doing brilliantly in is the current season.He has grabbed this opportunity well
Yes much better than Williams or Bracken (or even Bichel) did.

C_C

International Captain
Look- you can keep your opinon Swervy...however, we come here to debate. If you dont like someone picking apart your opinion, maybe you shouldnt post them.

We can run through all the teams of the eighties bar the WI's and I can guarantee that they were not as strong as hindsight appears to be making out.
if you had watched cricket in the 80s, you would know that PAK was at the zenith of their powers in the 80s and by early 90s they had begain the downhill slide.
If you watched cricket in the 80s, you would know that ENG had more quality players back then and players like Gooch, Gower, Botham, Willis and Boycott would walk into the current lineup, no questions asked.

NZ were pretty strong, mainly down to Hadlee and Martin Crowe, but all that great team spirit etc made them fairly tough, esp in the mid 80's
well i dont care if they were stronger because of two players or because all players believed in Voodoo. Fact is they were better and thats what i am claiming- end of story.

Sri Lanka in the 80's just arent worth talking about (and even then they utterly outplayed England in 84..a sign that the 84 vintage England team was as low as you can go)
agreed but WI rarely played SL so how good or bad SL were is irrelevant. They played two or three series in 10 years vs SL.
So they didnt exploit weak opposition to run up their accounts.

Australia were strongish in the early 80's (although they fielded a below par team in England in 81), but by the time Lillee, marsh, and Chappell had retired, Australia were average..after they retired, they were as poor as any Aussie team in history
aye. But that OZ team was still better than the current WI team, BD team, ZIM team and SL team.
Which is why i say WI played better quality opposition than the OZ does on general.

In WI's opposition scale, only OZ and IND ( slightly so- IND had better bowlers till mid 80s)were the team they played regularly that was weaker than its current team.

But there is absolutly no way we can figure which era was stronger or whatever...my opinion is that there were some outstanding players in the 80's, but teams were also padded out by some really average players as well, pretty much like now, or 5 years ago.
i am not claiming that ALL players in the 80s were superior to their modern-day counterparts.
What i am saying is overall, the teams were mostly better.

C_C

International Captain
I do agree with you on this as well, Hughes was agood aggressive bowler nothing more,McDermott was a decent bowler ,lawson could be very good on his day,Max Walker was a different type of bowler altogether,and Hogg was great for a short time, but teams found him out before too long.
Kaspa may not have had a great start to his bowling career, but I am confident that if he had been selected more than he has been his figures would look a lot more rosey
what matters in test cricket is taking wickets and conceding less runs than the opposition did.
I dont care how they look...kaspa might look classy at times but so does Zaheer Khan.

They have a world class spinner in Warne - I think the WIndies would not have the patience (apart from Gomes) to blunt Warne and would have tried to smash him out of the attack. You only have to see the success that Bob Holland and even Allan Border had against them to see their methods of playing spin.
one-off successes by mediocre players/part time spinners is irrelevant. By that token, Tendulkar took 5-30 or so against OZ in ODIs and Agarkar took 6-40 or 50 against this OZ team....overall is what matters.
And WI didnt dominate the spin quartet in square turners in IND but they handled them well enough.
Warne is a greater bowler than Chandra and Bedi but if WI racked up 350+ against them, its a bit of a strech to expect that they would've bombed against Warne.
Warne has strugged against good batting lineups- IND for eg and WI are good players of spin as well.

2. The Australians plan better - this is evident in the recent series in India. The WI idea of planning was which fast bowler to put on next. When the WIndies plan of intimdation didn't work (which wasn't often!!) they had little to fall back on.
every team plans and when plans go awry, they lose. WI's plan was simple but elegant- no respite and 4 superquick fast bowlers.
It worked.
OZ may plan better but in WI's case, they didnt need to have top-notch planning.
If you can get the job done by just throwing 4 superfast bowlers at the opposition, you dont need to solve differential equations to come up with an optimised plan.

3. THe WIndies mostly seemed to have one batsmen and one bowler not up to the standard of the rest. There only a few times where all four of Roberts, Garner, Holding and Marshall played. Roberts was older and not as effective as Marshall was coming into the team. Walsh and Croft were only very good bowlers (i.e. - not great) bowlers althought Walsh came into his own with his partnership with Ambrose.
yes...like i said, no team remains the same over 10 years and some players come and some players go. COmparing a weaker WI team of the 80s with OZ of the recent times is irrelevant for then one can compare the bowling attack of OZ in OZ when IND visisted and say they would get whitewashed 5-0 with that attack.
And Croft was not great ?
He was meaner, better and nastier than Thommo.......he could walk into any bowling lineup of any era except his own- due to the presence of four superb fast bowlers.
Mikey Holding once said that as bowlers, they didnt fear batsmen but injury. For WI had such quality bowlers back then that six months out of the team due to injury could spell an end to your career- like it did for Croft.
One interesting fact about WI bowlers from late 70s/early-mid 80s is their depth...bowlers such as Sylvester Clarke ( who decimated the vaunted Saffie batting in rebel tours- stalwarts like Procter,Pollock,Barlow etc.) couldnt even get a peep in the WI team.

Gilchrist is much better than Dujon ever was.
batting yes. Keeping ? no.

I think the key players that make the current team better than the WIndies of the 80's are Warne and Gilchrist and the tendancy for Aussie tailenders to try and stick around. However the WIndies teams of the 80's had an aura about them which was magical.
it is the gillchrist-Warne factor why i said WI would win 2-0 or 3-1. If they wernt present, 4-0 or 5-0 would be my prediction.

Is Kaspa as good as McDermott, Hughs and Lawson? I think thrust in the same situation of having to lead the attack he would have risen to the occasion and would have been considered one of our very good bowlers. He has shown when put into this role (in India in particular and this year in SL). He is also now very comfortable in his place in his team which has lead to improved performances (in the past he was droppped for Brett Lee)
everytime Kaspa was thrust into strike-bowler roles, he bombed. In IND in the late 90s he led the attack and got clobbered senseless.
Kaspa might look good on his day but he is overall mediocre and he is not a patch on Hughes,McDermott and Lawson, who were very good bowlers and produced sustained spells of excellence.
Kaspa's record is distinctively mediocre to say the least, particularly when one takes into account that he is surrounded by two great and one worldclass bowler, which makes his job a lot easier.

The people who say the Aussies can't handle pure pace are wrong. Its just that they don't face it very often and when you have come off facing the popgun attacks of India and NZ it takes a while to adjust. Langer is a case in fact - he was only 22 at lunch on the first day but blossomed when he had adjusted.
i didnt say all aussies are bad against pace- Langer and Ponting are excellent and i've pointed that out. And the fact is, they have succumbed to extreme pace and uneven spinning tracks of IND more often than one would like.
They may not play express pace that much, but thats no excuse. WI didnt play quality spin that much but i dont offer that as an excuse.

That is, of course, assuming that all 11 of them hit top form and were at their peak at thr same time.

When Australia were at their best, about 9 or 10 of their players were at their peak at the same time.
9-10 is an exgaggeration.
and WI had 7-8 players who hit top form in the late 70s/early 80s.

Which is my point. Not that Kasprowicz has done more for the Australian team in his brief career than bowlers like McDermott and Hughes, but that he would easily walk in to just about any Australian bowling lineup in history, because he is among the top 20 pacers Australia has ever produced, and would easily be among the top three pace bowlers in the country at almost any time in test history and would therefore make the side.
i seriously dispute that statement- he woldnt walk into most OZ lineups in the history. And he has done more for OZ in his breif career than Hughes/McDermott/Lawson etc. did ?
That is a false claim- you should check their records and see how many five-fers, ten-fers etc. they have compared to Kaspa.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
And he has done more for OZ in his breif career than Hughes/McDermott/Lawson etc. did ?
You misread what I said, I said that he hadn't done as much in his brief career for the team, but that he was a better bowler. And, with the exclusion of the lineups in the 46-50 and 55-60 periods, I can't think of any period in Australian test cricket where Kasprowicz would not have been at least the third best pacer around.

Gillespie and McGrath are next to Lindwall/Davidson and Lillee/Thommo as the best opening fast bowling pairs in Australian history, and Kasper is a step behind them, but provides better support than the likes of Hughes, McDermott, Lawson, Walker, Reid or Hogg could manage.

C_C

International Captain
well whether he makes the team or not is based on the spread of players through the history.
zaheer khan might make a case for inclusion in the alltime IND XI but he is very mediocre.
Same with kaspa- if alltime stakes are evaluated, he is definately behind Hughes,Hogg,McDermott,Lawson etc.......
they played in weaker lineups and achieved more.
And teh way i see it, if you cant replace bowlers like Lee and Fleming, you aint a good bowler.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
well whether he makes the team or not is based on the spread of players through the history.
zaheer khan might make a case for inclusion in the alltime IND XI but he is very mediocre.
Same with kaspa- if alltime stakes are evaluated, he is definately behind Hughes,Hogg,McDermott,Lawson etc.......
they played in weaker lineups and achieved more.
And teh way i see it, if you cant replace bowlers like Lee and Fleming, you aint a good bowler.
Different scenarios entirely. Zaheer Khan might make a case for entry into the Indian all time XI (although I think Srinath and Kapil Dev would take the seaming roles ahead of him) not because he is a good bowler but because India has produced very few quality seamers over the years. Australia on the other hand is alongside the West Indies with the proudest history of producing quality pace bowlers, and Kasprowicz would still walk into almost any Australian bowling lineup in history as the third seamer, or, in periods of lesser Australian attacks, a strike bowler. This shows that he is a good bowler, as a mediocre bowler would be mediocre in any period and only make the side if there was a severe lack of bowling talent available, such as in the late 80s.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
9-10 is an exgaggeration.
The only ones I can think that didn't would be Langer and Martyn, the rest of the team were pretty much at their peak at the same time.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
The 80's WIndies wouldn't have the patience to outwait the tight lines of McGrath and Warne and would have self destructed more often than not.

In a 5 test series I would expect the Aussies to win 3-2. Unless there was rain I wouldn't expect any draws because of the attitude of the teams.

If they were playing in the West Indies the score might be reversed.

I go on my observations of watching both teams for 25 years.

One thing for sure it would be a hell of a series to watch.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
The only ones I can think that didn't would be Langer and Martyn, the rest of the team were pretty much at their peak at the same time.
Mark Waugh didn't fire at Australian's best point, but I think Langer did. In the 5-1 demolition of South Africa for example, Langer and Martyn were both very close to their best. The only Australian player who struggled was Mark Waugh.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Australia on the other hand is alongside the West Indies with the proudest history of producing quality pace bowlers, and Kasprowicz would still walk into almost any Australian bowling lineup in history as the third seamer, or, in periods of lesser Australian attacks, a strike bowler. This shows that he is a good bowler, as a mediocre bowler would be mediocre in any period and only make the side if there was a severe lack of bowling talent available, such as in the late 80s.
I dont understand your reasoning here. Its like your ignoring reality and just spilling what you wish was true.
If Kasprowicz would of been able ot walk into any bowling lineup in history why hasnt he been able to in the past 8 years??
Wouldnt this be proof that he infact wouldnt of been able to do what your touting?

Gillespie and McGrath are next to Lindwall/Davidson and Lillee/Thommo as the best opening fast bowling pairs in Australian history, and Kasper is a step behind them, but provides better support than the likes of Hughes, McDermott, Lawson, Walker, Reid or Hogg could manage.
Hughs, Mcdermott and Lawson were strike bowlers. Kasper would of been a good support bowler for them.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Mark Waugh didn't fire at Australian's best point, but I think Langer did. In the 5-1 demolition of South Africa for example, Langer and Martyn were both very close to their best. The only Australian player who struggled was Mark Waugh.
I was going on those 2 being at their peak right now!

Swervy

International Captain
CC, you said this a bit back:And like i said, the best WI team that took to the field at that time was:
Greenidge, Haynes, Richardson/Kallicharan, Richards, Lloyd,Gomes,Dujon,Marshall,Holding,Garner and Roberts.
Compared to that team, this OZ unit or the OZ unit from a few years ago are a second rate unit- because of the bowling.

I dont think that team ever played together, so how can that be the best the the Windies fielded.

Personally I would say Kallicharran was a better batsman than Richardson(even though Kalli wasnt the batsman in the last 4 or 5 years of his career he had been in the early to mid 70's), so if we use the teams with Kalli in, well Dujon certainly wouldnt be there, Marshall certainly wasnt the bowler he ended up being..

The best WI team I think I saw was the 1981 one vs Australia:
Greenidge
Haynes
(one of the greatest opening partnerships,but rivalled by Hayden and Langer in results)
Richards
Gomes
Bacchus
(a batsman far from being of a standard that would get into the Aussie team)
Lloyd
Dujon
(Gilchrist IMO his equal keeping wise,but nowhere near batting wise, although he was a good batsman)
Croft
Roberts
(way past his best, by a good 6 years)
Holding
Garner

Now this was the team that lined up vs Australia, and drew the series 1-1. Australia had a decent team, but not brilliant..but it was probably the best team WI back then had encountered for a while,and the best team they were to play against for a fair while afterwards as well....with hindsight, it is seen that there were definate chinks in the armour,when they played against a solid but not spectacular team,who played the game as aggressively as they did..WI's could be held/beaten...no other team until maybe the late 80's (Pakistan maybe) could rival WI's for aggressiveness.How ever you may say it,IMO there was a lack of quality to the teams in the 80's (bar the WI's),as soon as a quality team played them, the WI's dint look so powerful

Australias peak was probably 2001/2002 vs south Africa...now SA had a powerful team (certainly stronger than the Aussie team of 81 the WI's had to face)..Pollock,Donald,Kirsten,Gibbs,Kallis,Kluesner etc.

I think that Aussie team absolutely matches up against that WI's team:
Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Mark Waugh
Steve Waugh
Martyn
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

When did a WI's team so utterly thrash a second ranked team so convincingly..I dont think they did...in fact when did the WI's actually play against a team as powerful as that SA side?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Just as another method of comparison, I thought I'd check out the PwC ratings for the (actually fielded) teams picked as the best for each side, going with the touring West Indies side in Australia in 1981/2 and the Australian team that played South Africa in 2001/2. Obviously, the top 7 in each side have their batting ranks, and the bottom 4 their bowling ranks.

WI 01/01/1982
Gordon Greenidge - 652 (13th)
Desmond Haynes - 649 (14th)
Viv Richards - 908 (1st)
Larry Gomes - 597 (20th)
Faoud Bacchus - 394 (42nd)
Clive Lloyd - 712 (9th)
Jeffrey Dujon - 433 (36th)
-----
Colin Croft - 828 (3rd)
Andy Roberts - 610 (14th)
Michael Holding - 816 (5th)
Joel Garner - 839 (2nd)

AUS 01/03/2002
Justin Langer - 771 (8th)
Matthew Hayden - 874 (3rd)
Ricky Ponting - 660 (20th)
Mark Waugh - 693 (16th)
Steve Waugh - 781 (7th)
Damien Martyn - 806 (5th)
Adam Gilchrist - 867 (4th)
-----
Shane Warne - 718 (7th)
Brett Lee - 617 (15th)
Jason Gillespie - 685 (11th)
Glenn McGrath - 907 (2nd)

So, they compare reasonably well, with the West Indies having the edge in the bowling and Australia in the batting, as most of us figured anyway. Both sides have all their bowlers in the top 15, but the West Indies have three of their 4 bowlers in the top 5, compared to only one Australian.

In terms of the batting, Australia has 5 of their top 7 inside the top 10 compared to two from the west Indies, three in the top 5 like the West Indian bowling, and all 7 inside the top 20, compared to 5 from the West Indies.

The notable gaps are the astonishingly high ranking of the West Indies bowlers, with only Lillee in first and Botham in 4th making it into the top 5 with the West Indian Bowlers at that time, and the strength and depth of Australia's batting, with every member of their top 7 in 2002 considered among the best in the world, while Bacchus and Dujon were a long way behind in 1982, ranked among the likes of Rodney Marsh and Richard Hadlee as batsmen.