• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WI of the 80's or Australia Current?

C_C

International Captain
I disagree that any of Hughes, McDermott, Lawson, Walker, or Hogg are better than Kasper. He is a superior bowler to all of them, and on par or slightly better than some of the others you have mentioned.
you are the only one i've heard who'd rate kasper equal or better than those folks.
Kaspa has had one year of decent form amidst a career of mediocrity.
No way does he equal those ones i named, who had quiete a few decent years, were far more successful and operated as a part of a far inferior bowling unit.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
C_C said:
you are the only one i've heard who'd rate kasper equal or better than those folks.
Kaspa has had one year of decent form amidst a career of mediocrity.
No way does he equal those ones i named, who had quiete a few decent years, were far more successful and operated as a part of a far inferior bowling unit.

Make me the second then, Kaspa is easily better than all those bowlers.

C_C

International Captain
Swervy said:

you have your opinion (which you appear to think is more valid than mine)...I have mine

To be honest I am not overly concerned by the statistics of the issue...comparing statistics of teams 20 years apart is futile, the game is a lot different now..IMO it is probably a lot harder to rack up a string of undefeated series NOW compared to back then, teams are playing all year round, there is a higher chance of a team playing now when the team just doesnt click etc

[/QUOTE=C_C]Their dominance is FAR behind the WI's..... WI dominated BETTER teams far better.
MOST ENG fans agree that the ENG team in the 80s was better than the ENG team of recent times <maybe the current team is exempt but OZ beat a lot inferior ENG team in the past few years a lot less convincingly>

Again, you see it differently to me.Some of those England teams of the 80's were an utter joke,maybe not talent wise..but more importantly in the ability to fight, they simply packed in at the slightest hint of trouble from any team (apart from in 85 vs the weakest Australian team I have ever seen)...you say the teams WI's back then played were better..if you can show me a fool prove way of proving it,then I will concede that point.

[/QUOTE=C_C]PAK- PAK had their best team during the 80s and were the only team to maintain some semblance of parity with the WI[/QUOTE]

Haha..so you are saying Pakistan had a stronger team in the early 80's thanthey ever have had. My **** they did...did you watch them get humiliated in the early 80's vs Australia, did you see them get outplayed for the most part in 82 vs a so so England team....Pakistan in the 90's was so much stronger.

[/QUOTE=C_C]NZ ? well it is well known that the 1981 series was as blatant cheating as you get and thats what prompted the likes of Imran Khan, Lloyd etc. to argue in favour of neutral umpires- even Richard Hadlee's brother admitted that the umpire was in collusion with NZ cricket authorities.[/QUOTE]

OK, so we have to resort to this kind of rubbish do we...this of course is no proof that WI's werent outplayed by NZ..give the NZ team some credit please

When I mentioned about Lillee and Richards, I wasnt trying to prove anything there, I was just making a comment about that dismissal of Richards....but please dont mention 75 if you are trying to prove any points about the WI's...WI's lost that series 5-1.

Again it is your opinion that Lillee was at his best in 75...there are many who thought he was at his peak during the Packer stuff in the late 70's,there are those who beleive that when he slowed down a tad, he was the best he had ever been (early 80's)

Ok..please give us the team that you think was the best and tell me when they played together. I think you are right, that Aussie team that played India last year wasnt at its best,but I think it is acknowleged that the team for 2 to say 4 years ago was better....the WI's also went through short periods when the team they had wasnt as strong as the one the series previous..it works both ways...anyway give us that 'best' team and the series they played together in, I would like to see your opinion on it.

And I am glad you have noted that this is all your opinion..they way you are going on, it doesnt really give the impression that you are in anyway considering any one elses opinion other than your own. The way you are posting is coming over as slightly arrogant at best, if not extremely patronising to some of the people who are replying to you...it wont wash with me.

Just one more point..earlier you said in a post 'yes because you've never played test cricket.
Not so here.'

What sdoes that mean???? Have you played test cricket????[/QUOTE]

i disagree that it is a lot harder to string up wins than before. I think its easier.
Matches are played more frequently and most opposition faced by the AUS are inferior to the opposition faced by the 70s/80s team.
( IND being the ONLY opposition faced by the aussies and the windies on a regular basis who are superior)
Back in those days, matches were less frequent, so wins were more dependent on class rather than a team running hot.

As per the english team comment, most english fans disagrees with you.
If Botham,Boycott, Gooch,Gower,Gatting,Lamb and Willis were a joke, what were Atherton,Hick,Thorpe,Collingwood,Cork,Gough and Caddick ? circus recruits ?
ENG may be a better team than the 80s NOW but THIS english team hasnt faced the aussies or the indians yet. So far, the english teams beaten by the aussies in the past 5-6 years were a few factors inferior to their 80s counterpart.

As per PAK- they were at their alltime best between early 80s and early 90s
They boasted perhaps the second best bowling attack alltime- Imran,Wasim,Waqar and Qadir, had Miandad running into a purple patch, Malik being solid and shoaib mohammed being slow but sure.
They were at their strongest in that period and most pak fans will tell you that.

As per rubbish- you better check what Hadlee's brother said about that series- check what Colin Croft and Holding had to say.
No balls called after sumps uprooted. Edge to 3rd slip not given.
Even Hadlee's brother was forced to admit that the umpires were in collusion with the kiwis and Holding+Croft openly say so. Holding himself said he was called for noball six times in the series AFTER the stumps had been rearranged.

And like i said, the best WI team that took to the field at that time was:
Greenidge, Haynes, Richardson/Kallicharan, Richards, Lloyd,Gomes,Dujon,Marshall,Holding,Garner and Roberts.
Compared to that team, this OZ unit or the OZ unit from a few years ago are a second rate unit- because of the bowling.

As per my opinion, Lillee HIMSELF said that he was at his best in the early 70s before his back injury and during the packer series.
My comment about 1975 was to tell you that Lillee never dominated Richards.
Only two bowlers came close and that was Akram in the late 80s and Chandra in India.
In 1975, WI lost the series but Richards and Fredericks put lillee on sword.

as per my earlier point, it is self explanatory. the poster concerned was misinterpreting my post and using misdirecting comments. Not so here as i am talking about facts which have no misdirection in them - WI dominated the scene for 13 years and OZ arnt even halfway there.

And as per the greatness of this OZ team, even most experts in OZ agree that this is not the best OZ team.
So while all this is opinion, i stand in good company in regards to opinions.

C_C

International Captain
Make me the second then, Kaspa is easily better than all those bowlers.
this is getting ridiculous now.
Maybe by that measure, Javagal Srinath is better than McGrath or Lee is better than Lillee.
8-) 8-) 8-)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
this is getting ridiculous now.
Maybe by that measure, Javagal Srinath is better than McGrath or Lee is better than Lillee.
8-) 8-) 8-)
Not really. McDermott and Hughes were strike bowlers in one of the weakest bowling attacks Australia has ever put into test matches. Kasperowicz might only be the third seamer, but he is the third seamer in close to the strongest bowling attack Australia has ever put on the field, probably comparable only to Lindwall/Miller/Johnson/Toshack in the Invincibles side and Lindwall/Davidson/Benaud some years later. And with any Australian bowling lineup aside from those mentioned he would walk in as the third seamer or better. In the late 80s up against the likes of Hughes, McDermott, Reid and Hogg he would have been a strike bowler.

edit: Forgot to mention the Lillee/Thommo years. ;)

tooextracool

International Coach
Swervy said:
This really is a ridiculous debate....its all about opinion isnt it. First off, you can only compare teams as they were against the opposition at that time, and measure relative dominance. In my opinion Australia have dominated the international scene more strongly than the great WI's team did of the early 80's....it doesnt mean the Aussies would beat those WI's or vice versa, there is absolutely no way we can say.

e are talking about the WI's of the early 80's (ie 80 to 85)..in actual fact the sides the WI's had changed a great deal in that time.As the eighties went on Roberts certainly wasnt at his peak...Holding wasnt the bowler he was in the late 80's..and in the early eighties, marshall was actually considered a weak link in the bowling for WI's..it was onlt really as we approached the mid 80's that marshall really came to the front..by that time Roberts had certainly gone, Holding was on the wane, garners knees we packing up...and then players like Patrick patterson etc came along, and then Bishop/Ambrose in the late 80's (we cant really talk about Walsh in such high terms in the 80's because he was actually quite an average international bowler at that time).
Now Patterson wasnt in the same class as garner, holding etc..and by the time Bishop and Ambrose came along, the WI's batting ceratinly wasnt as strong as it had been, in fact it would come nowhere near the Aussies of the present day.

So I would take a wild stab in the dark that the WI's of 81/82 talent wise were the top team they fielded of that era..even if we extend that period to take in a few more series say 1980 to end of 1983,WI actually only won 11 of 31 tests (admittedly they only lost two)... if you compare that to Australia of the last 3 or 4 years I think you will find a hell of a lot more wins,and vs a wider selection (both good and bad) of teams..those WI's were handled with ease by the NZders, won vs a struggling England side in England,drew with the Aussies (that series involved the only time I ever saw Richards truely shaken up, after he was out with the score 4 for 10, he looked like he had seen a ghost..for any Lillee doubters, try get hold of footage of him bowling in this game, possibly the greatest displays of controlled fast bowling I have ever seen), beat a so-so pakistan team,admittedly in pakistan, beat an England team rocked by the jacman affair and the death of Barrington...and not forgetting that teh England team was weak, and dominated a fairly weak Indian team...after that there was the 5-0 vs a shocking (apart from lamb) England team.

So yeah WI's won when they had to, but so have Australia..and a lot more convincingly than the WI's of the early eighties.

Talent wise, not much in it, and impossible to say who would win between them. My opinion is the Australia would edge it.....but the way CC is going on, its almost like its set in stone somewhere that WI's would beat Australia...which of course it isnt
relative dominance is really the most inconclusive way to look at things. i find it hard to believe that anyone can suggest with a straight face that the opposition that the WI faced in the 80s was worse than the ones that the aussies faced in 00/01. i mean just looking at some of these sides- SA clearly were nowhere near as good as people made them out to be. the loss of cullinan, brian mcmillan and jonty rhodes was bad enough, but with donald being past it and pollock clearly nothing near his prime this SA team simply consisted of a bunch of overrated or useless players who never really looked like threatening SA. the english teams were bad enough as they were, but the injuries didnt help. pakistan havent exactly done anything brilliant, WI well they were rubbish, NZ consisted of a bunch of ordinary players who on their days tended to overachieve, which really only left the 2 extremely home oriented teams in india and SL both of whom succeded in defeating australia 01 and 99 respectively. yes of course since then australia have gone on to rectify that possibly because they finally realised how to play harbhajan and murali, but it doesnt change the fact that most of the teams that they have played have been desperately mediocre. which leads me to wonder whether javed miandad was right, i wont doubt that australia are a very good team, but surely the major reason why the gap between 1 and 2 is so significant is because the rest of the teams have actually gone backwards?

tooextracool

International Coach
Swervy said:
Again, you see it differently to me.Some of those England teams of the 80's were an utter joke,maybe not talent wise..but more importantly in the ability to fight, they simply packed in at the slightest hint of trouble from any team (apart from in 85 vs the weakest Australian team I have ever seen)...you say the teams WI's back then played were better..if you can show me a fool prove way of proving it,then I will concede that point.
one must really wonder if those teams,as weak as they were, were actually as weak as the WI team of 2000 or the zimbabwe team that accounted for nearly half of the string of victories in 00/01. then there was of course victories over 'consistent' pakistan and 'we cant even beat zimbabwe away from home' india at home

tooextracool

International Coach
vic_orthdox said:
hmmmm, quite possibly. i was more referring to tugga and alf being very close mates. and imagine what bob simpson must be thinking, his own protege not picking him in his side. lawry must have been stiff though. tubby? and was ponsford an opening bat???

i hope that tooextracool doesn't see you calling langer a "great" though. this thread will gain a second wind.
well its hard to judge, but if he continues in the same vein of form as he has of late i dont see why not. the thing about langer is that while he doesnt have a great average relative to some of the other players in the world, at least hes performed against spin and pace and on all types of wickets unlike his overrated opening partner.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Not really. McDermott and Hughes were strike bowlers in one of the weakest bowling attacks Australia has ever put into test matches. Kasperowicz might only be the third seamer, but he is the third seamer in close to the strongest bowling attack Australia has ever put on the field, probably comparable only to Lindwall/Miller/Johnson/Toshack in the Invincibles side and Lindwall/Davidson/Benaud some years later. And with any Australian bowling lineup aside from those mentioned he would walk in as the third seamer or better. In the late 80s up against the likes of Hughes, McDermott, Reid and Hogg he would have been a strike bowler.

edit: Forgot to mention the Lillee/Thommo years. ;)
What an utter load of crap. Your comparing a career long second stringer whos been mediocre his whole career to two long time strike bowlers? One of which is a borderline great? In the early 90s mcdermott was arguably the best bowler in the world, after his deeds in the windies tour of 91.

Just because mcgrath and warne are better than them doesnt make everyone beneath them better as well. You have zero foundation to claim Kasper is even in their league.
Gillespe is Hughes, McDermott, Lawson level but you lose credibility when you push kaspwitz up there.

Swervy

International Captain
tooextracool said:
relative dominance is really the most inconclusive way to look at things. i find it hard to believe that anyone can suggest with a straight face that the opposition that the WI faced in the 80s was worse than the ones that the aussies faced in 00/01. i mean just looking at some of these sides- SA clearly were nowhere near as good as people made them out to be. the loss of cullinan, brian mcmillan and jonty rhodes was bad enough, but with donald being past it and pollock clearly nothing near his prime this SA team simply consisted of a bunch of overrated or useless players who never really looked like threatening SA. the english teams were bad enough as they were, but the injuries didnt help. pakistan havent exactly done anything brilliant, WI well they were rubbish, NZ consisted of a bunch of ordinary players who on their days tended to overachieve, which really only left the 2 extremely home oriented teams in india and SL both of whom succeded in defeating australia 01 and 99 respectively. yes of course since then australia have gone on to rectify that possibly because they finally realised how to play harbhajan and murali, but it doesnt change the fact that most of the teams that they have played have been desperately mediocre. which leads me to wonder whether javed miandad was right, i wont doubt that australia are a very good team, but surely the major reason why the gap between 1 and 2 is so significant is because the rest of the teams have actually gone backwards?
I understand what you are saying, but similar doubts were cast upon teams that were demolished by the WI's back in the eighties.

We can run through all the teams of the eighties bar the WI's and I can guarantee that they were not as strong as hindsight appears to be making out.

Pakistan were a strong team really only at home, and in the early eighties I would actually describe them as very average.

India were weak,although always tough at home. The bowling was even worse then than it is now, an dthe batting wasnt quite there really

NZ were pretty strong, mainly down to Hadlee and Martin Crowe, but all that great team spirit etc made them fairly tough, esp in the mid 80's

England only played well vs so so teams, not once did they win a series vs a strong team i the eighties. Yeah they had Botham,etc, but all those players peaked at different times...very inconsistant....and even India were made to look like bowling geniuses by England in 86 (Roger Binny taking 5 wickets???!!!!!).

Australia were strongish in the early 80's (although they fielded a below par team in England in 81), but by the time Lillee, marsh, and Chappell had retired, Australia were average..after they retired, they were as poor as any Aussie team in history

Sri Lanka in the 80's just arent worth talking about (and even then they utterly outplayed England in 84..a sign that the 84 vintage England team was as low as you can go)

To be honest I really dont think teams were of a lower standard in the late 90's early 00's..I think some people have a romanticised view of how it was way back when...the reality was a bit different.

But there is absolutly no way we can figure which era was stronger or whatever...my opinion is that there were some outstanding players in the 80's, but teams were also padded out by some really average players as well, pretty much like now, or 5 years ago.

But , even though this might sound a bit arrogant ( and I apologise if it does)...I do value my own opinion and judgement when it comes to cricket that has been played over the last 24 years. That doesnt mean I object to the notion that the WI's in the eighties were stronger , however I do object to the way someone like CC is belittling other peoples views if it is contrary to his

Swervy

International Captain
tooextracool said:
I understand what you are saying, but similar doubts were cast upon teams that were demolished by the WI's back in the eighties.

We can run through all the teams of the eighties bar the WI's and I can guarantee that they were not as strong as hindsight appears to be making out.

Pakistan were a strong team really only at home, and in the early eighties I would actually describe them as very average.

India were weak,although always tough at home. The bowling was even worse then than it is now, an dthe batting wasnt quite there really

NZ were pretty strong, mainly down to Hadlee and Martin Crowe, but all that great team spirit etc made them fairly tough, esp in the mid 80's

England only played well vs so so teams, not once did they win a series vs a strong team i the eighties. Yeah they had Botham,etc, but all those players peaked at different times...very inconsistant....and even India were made to look like bowling geniuses by England in 86 (Roger Binny taking 5 wickets???!!!!!).

Australia were strongish in the early 80's (although they fielded a below par team in England in 81), but by the time Lillee, marsh, and Chappell had retired, Australia were average..after they retired, they were as poor as any Aussie team in history

Sri Lanka in the 80's just arent worth talking about (and even then they utterly outplayed England in 84..a sign that the 84 vintage England team was as low as you can go)

To be honest I really dont think teams were of a lower standard in the late 90's early 00's..I think some people have a romanticised view of how it was way back when...the reality was a bit different.

But there is absolutly no way we can figure which era was stronger or whatever...my opinion is that there were some outstanding players in the 80's, but teams were also padded out by some really average players as well, pretty much like now, or 5 years ago.

But , even though this might sound a bit arrogant ( and I apologise if it does)...I do value my own opinion and judgement when it comes to cricket that has been played over the last 24 years. That doesnt mean I object to the notion that the WI's in the eighties were stronger , however I do object to the way someone like CC is belittling other peoples views if it is contrary to his

Swervy

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I disagree that any of Hughes, McDermott, Lawson, Walker, or Hogg are better than Kasper. He is a superior bowler to all of them, and on par or slightly better than some of the others you have mentioned.

McGrath, Lillee, Thommo, Miller, Lindwall, Spofforth, Davidson and Turner are certainly superior bowlers who had a much bigger impact in the time that they played. You are severely underrating Kasprowicz if you don't put him in the top 20 Australian pacers, however.
I do agree with you on this as well, Hughes was agood aggressive bowler nothing more,McDermott was a decent bowler ,lawson could be very good on his day,Max Walker was a different type of bowler altogether,and Hogg was great for a short time, but teams found him out before too long.
Kaspa may not have had a great start to his bowling career, but I am confident that if he had been selected more than he has been his figures would look a lot more rosey

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I've been reading all the posts made about this topic and am finally ready to make my thoughts heard. I've watched alot of cricket over the past 25 years and feel that this current Australian team is slightly better than the 80's WI team for the following reasons :

1. They have a world class spinner in Warne - I think the WIndies would not have the patience (apart from Gomes) to blunt Warne and would have tried to smash him out of the attack. You only have to see the success that Bob Holland and even Allan Border had against them to see their methods of playing spin.

2. The Australians plan better - this is evident in the recent series in India. The WI idea of planning was which fast bowler to put on next. When the WIndies plan of intimdation didn't work (which wasn't often!!) they had little to fall back on.

3. THe WIndies mostly seemed to have one batsmen and one bowler not up to the standard of the rest. There only a few times where all four of Roberts, Garner, Holding and Marshall played. Roberts was older and not as effective as Marshall was coming into the team. Walsh and Croft were only very good bowlers (i.e. - not great) bowlers althought Walsh came into his own with his partnership with Ambrose.

4. Gilchrist is much better than Dujon ever was.

I think the key players that make the current team better than the WIndies of the 80's are Warne and Gilchrist and the tendancy for Aussie tailenders to try and stick around. However the WIndies teams of the 80's had an aura about them which was magical.

The people who say the Aussies can't handle pure pace are wrong. Its just that they don't face it very often and when you have come off facing the popgun attacks of India and NZ it takes a while to adjust. Langer is a case in fact - he was only 22 at lunch on the first day but blossomed when he had adjusted.

Is Kaspa as good as McDermott, Hughs and Lawson? I think thrust in the same situation of having to lead the attack he would have risen to the occasion and would have been considered one of our very good bowlers. He has shown when put into this role (in India in particular and this year in SL). He is also now very comfortable in his place in his team which has lead to improved performances (in the past he was droppped for Brett Lee)

Where is Langers postion in ranking of Aussie greats? I think he will be regarded on the same level as Boonie, Taylor and Mark Waugh.

Last edited:

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Swervy said:
I do agree with you on this as well, Hughes was agood aggressive bowler nothing more,McDermott was a decent bowler ,lawson could be very good on his day,Max Walker was a different type of bowler altogether,and Hogg was great for a short time, but teams found him out before too long.
Kaspa may not have had a great start to his bowling career, but I am confident that if he had been selected more than he has been his figures would look a lot more rosey
Why wasnt he selected is the question. You write it off and as unfortunate inconveinance when the truth of the matter is that he wasnt good enough .Not even good enough to even be a regular 3rd stringer!

Swervy

International Captain
Arrow said:
Why wasnt he selected is the question. You write it off and as unfortunate inconveinance when the truth of the matter is that he wasnt good enough .Not even good enough to even be a regular 3rd stringer!
coz its damned hard to break into an already winning team..something McDermott didnt have to worry about,something Hogg didnt need to worry about..and lawson. A bowler like Kaspa would sroll into some of those 80's Australian sides

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Arrow said:
There was (and still is) an unnatural push to get Brett Lee into the team.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
And like i said, the best WI team that took to the field at that time was:
Greenidge, Haynes, Richardson/Kallicharan, Richards, Lloyd,Gomes,Dujon,Marshall,Holding,Garner and Roberts.
Compared to that team, this OZ unit or the OZ unit from a few years ago are a second rate unit- because of the bowling.
That is, of course, assuming that all 11 of them hit top form and were at their peak at thr same time.

When Australia were at their best, about 9 or 10 of their players were at their peak at the same time.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
coz its damned hard to break into an already winning team..something McDermott didnt have to worry about,something Hogg didnt need to worry about..and lawson. A bowler like Kaspa would sroll into some of those 80's Australian sides
Which is my point. Not that Kasprowicz has done more for the Australian team in his brief career than bowlers like McDermott and Hughes, but that he would easily walk in to just about any Australian bowling lineup in history, because he is among the top 20 pacers Australia has ever produced, and would easily be among the top three pace bowlers in the country at almost any time in test history and would therefore make the side.