• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ashes

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
i think they'll take 15-16 for the tests and 14 or 15 for the one dayers.

Tests: Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Lehmann, Clarke, Gilchrist, Warne, Kasper, Gillespie, McGrath, Lee, Watson, Katich, MacGill, maybe Hodge.

ODIs: Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting, Martyn, Symonds, Lehmann, Clarke, Watson, Hogg, Kasper, Gillespie, McGrath, Lee, Katich.

When the aussies are touring, won't county cricket be on? If so it wouldn't surprise me if we go over there with slightly smaller squads and use players like Hodge and Love who usually play County cricket if required (and if that's allowed).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd say 15 or 16.

Matthew Hayden
Justin Langer
Ricky Ponting
Damien Martyn
Darren Lehmann
Simon Katich
Michael Clarke
Adam Gilchrist
Brad Haddin
Cameron White
Shane Warne
Brett Lee
Jason Gillespie
Michael Kasprowicz
Glenn McGrath
(Shaun Tait)

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
of course, i left out a backup keeper. I'd say it'd be Haddin, though Seccombe might be in with a shot depending on his return from injury.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Tests
Hayden, Langer, Love, Ponting, Martyn, Clarke, Katich, Gilchrist, Seccombe, Watson, Warne, MacGill, McGrath, Kasprowicz, Gillespie, Tait

I think Lehmann will be gone by the Ashes. Love is there as he can cover the opening spot in case of injury. Lee unfortunately has not played a lot of cricket. Tait is performing week in week out.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Crazy Sam said:
of course, i left out a backup keeper. I'd say it'd be Haddin, though Seccombe might be in with a shot depending on his return from injury.
It really depends on if Haddin can continue his superb batting form. There is no doubt Seccombe is a better keeper, so if Haddin starts to fail, and Seccombe is fit, he will go, but if Haddin continues his good form with the bat, they have to pick him.

Craig

World Traveller
Crazy Sam said:
When the aussies are touring, won't county cricket be on? If so it wouldn't surprise me if we go over there with slightly smaller squads and use players like Hodge and Love who usually play County cricket if required (and if that's allowed).
When the Australians tour, there will still be County Cricket on, and if a club wants them yes Love or Hodge can play CC (Hodge will actually be playing for Lanacashire), however the problem being is that if an injury happens these guys will more then likely get called up at a drop of a hat.

But you would think these counties would have worked that when they went and signed players like Hodge.

Craig

World Traveller
Prince EWS said:
It really depends on if Haddin can continue his superb batting form. There is no doubt Seccombe is a better keeper, so if Haddin starts to fail, and Seccombe is fit, he will go, but if Haddin continues his good form with the bat, they have to pick him.
As much as I am a Queensland Bulls supporter, I would be backing Haddin to be number 2 for Gilchrist.

Craig

World Traveller
Prince EWS said:
I'd say 15 or 16.

Matthew Hayden
Justin Langer
Ricky Ponting
Damien Martyn
Darren Lehmann
Simon Katich
Michael Clarke
Adam Gilchrist
Brad Haddin
Cameron White
Shane Warne
Brett Lee
Jason Gillespie
Michael Kasprowicz
Glenn McGrath
(Shaun Tait)
Cameron White? Stuart MacGill is twice the bowler he is now and probably ever will be.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Prince EWS said:
Haddin has been exeptional with the bat since being named captain.. I never thought he was really captain material but he has proven everyone wrong.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the 16 i think will go on the test tour

Matthew Hayden
Justin Langer
Ricky Ponting
Damien Martyn
Simon Katich
Michael Clarke
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Jason Gillespie
Glenn McGrath
Michael Kasprowicz
Brett Lee
Shaun Tait
Darren Lehmann
Brad Haddin
David Hussey

David Hussey is a bolter for mine, after Katich the next batsman spot is wide open imo, and im banking on a massive haul from Hussey for the Vics after Xmas to get him on the plane. Haddin as hes most likely backup keeper at this stage, id like to only pick 1 of Tait and Lee, but theres no way Lee wont go and Tait will be taken without a doubt. the rest pick themselves...

Craig

World Traveller
Dave Hussey? Two reserve batsmen there, wouldn't be better to have a second spinner (ie MacGill or somebody else) and have Brad Hodge on stand by if he isn't picked?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
Dave Hussey? Two reserve batsmen there, wouldn't be better to have a second spinner (ie MacGill or somebody else) and have Brad Hodge on stand by if he isn't picked?
2 spinners, i honestly dont think theres anytime in england we will need 2 spinners. Tour matches that warne rests we will play 4 quicks and use clarke/lehmann as part time, its happened before...

i just have that feeling about Hussey, its more of a predicition of what he might do in the next few months to jump Hodge, than where he is now...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Current squad + Tait, Katich and Haddin / seccobme for the tests, macgill will probably be over there playing county cricket and will no doubt be called up if conditions are good for 2 spinners or if warne is injured.

Craig

World Traveller
broncoman said:
2 spinners, i honestly dont think theres anytime in england we will need 2 spinners. Tour matches that warne rests we will play 4 quicks and use clarke/lehmann as part time, its happened before...

i just have that feeling about Hussey, its more of a predicition of what he might do in the next few months to jump Hodge, than where he is now...
Two spinners in case Warne gets injured.

Mine would look like this:

JL Langer
ML Langer
*RT Ponting
DR Martyn
DS Lehmann (providing he is still in the team)
MJ Clarke
+AC Gilchrist
SK Warne
JN Gillespe
MS Kasprowicz
GD McGrath
SM Katich
+BJ Haddin
SW Tait
SCG MacGill

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
J Langer
M Hayden
R Ponting
D Martyn
M Clarke
S Katich
A Gilchrist
S Warne
J Gillespie
G McGrath
M Kasperwicz
B Haddin
D Thornley
S McGill
N Bracken
M Nicholson
M Hussey

(That's spoken as a true New South Welshman)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
thornely, macgill, bracken and nicholson all are rather clouded statements.

Slats4ever said:
That's spoken as a true New South Welshman
yeh, your not wrong.

players who should be thought about:

allan wise (hasn't put a foot wrong in first class cricket as of yet and as a genuine seam bowler, would surely gain assistance in england)
michael hussey or matthew elliott (proven performers in england, and elliott has a contract, so they are obviously still thinking about him, as well as a very successful ashes tour under his belt)
joe dawes (can't stop taking wickets in pura cup, and has wrecked the aussie team before in england on a tour match IIRC)
nathan hauritz (traditionally finger spinners have bowled well in england)

Craig

World Traveller
Slats4ever said:
J Langer
M Hayden
R Ponting
D Martyn
M Clarke
S Katich
A Gilchrist
S Warne
J Gillespie
G McGrath
M Kasperwicz
B Haddin
D Thornley
S McGill
N Bracken
M Nicholson
M Hussey

(That's spoken as a true New South Welshman)
Don't know if Thornley will get picked, he will play for Australia 'A' this summer.