• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Langer outscores Pakistan in both innings

C_C

International Captain
from a cursory glance, this is not the only instance.
For one, Matty Hayden did it in Sharjah against the same opposition.

There are other instances that i've come across ( cannot say if this is the complete list or not).

Elias Hendren of ENG scored more runs than the OZ side in the timeless match in 1928...which remains the biggest victory margin in terms of runs ( ENG won by 675 runs).
He scored 169 & 45 ( total of 214 runs in the test) and AUS managed 122 and 66 all out ( total of 188).

Gordon Greenidge did it against ENG in Old Trafford 1976 where he scored 134 and 101(total of 235) and ENG were bundled out for 71 and 126 ( total of 197)

Len Hutton did it against against the aussies in 1938 Oval match where he scored his the-then world record 364.
He didnt bat in the 2nd innnigs (ENG having racked up a humongous 903/7 declared) but AUS managed 201 in the first innings and 123 in the second ( a total of 324 runs).

Inzamam Ul-Haq did it in 2002 Gaddhafi stadium test vs the kiwis, where he scored 329 and the kiwis in response scored 73 all out and 246 all out ( a total of 319 runs).

Bradman did it in the Brisbane 1948 match against India, where he scored 185 and the Indians could only manage 58 all out and 98 all out ( a total of 156 runs).

there may be other instances but these are the ones i could find with a few minutes of research.

indie2

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
C_C said:
from a cursory glance, this is not the only instance.
For one, Matty Hayden did it in Sharjah against the same opposition.

There are other instances that i've come across ( cannot say if this is the complete list or not).

Elias Hendren of ENG scored more runs than the OZ side in the timeless match in 1928...which remains the biggest victory margin in terms of runs ( ENG won by 675 runs).
He scored 169 & 45 ( total of 214 runs in the test) and AUS managed 122 and 66 all out ( total of 188).

Gordon Greenidge did it against ENG in Old Trafford 1976 where he scored 134 and 101(total of 235) and ENG were bundled out for 71 and 126 ( total of 197)

Len Hutton did it against against the aussies in 1938 Oval match where he scored his the-then world record 364.
He didnt bat in the 2nd innnigs (ENG having racked up a humongous 903/7 declared) but AUS managed 201 in the first innings and 123 in the second ( a total of 324 runs).

Inzamam Ul-Haq did it in 2002 Gaddhafi stadium test vs the kiwis, where he scored 329 and the kiwis in response scored 73 all out and 246 all out ( a total of 319 runs).

Bradman did it in the Brisbane 1948 match against India, where he scored 185 and the Indians could only manage 58 all out and 98 all out ( a total of 156 runs).

there may be other instances but these are the ones i could find with a few minutes of research.

Langer's achievement is different from those in that in *each* innings his score was higher than Pakistan's total for the innings.

I agree that this is probably a unique achievement.

bryce

International Regular
C_C, not one of your examples are relavent, scallywag was wanting to know if a batsman who has had two innings in the match beats the opposition's score in each of the two innings, i.e: langer 191 v 179 in the first innings, langer 97 v 76 in the 2nd innings.

Scallywag

Banned
I realize that some players have exceeded the other teams total but I'm talking about Langer out scoring Pak 191 to 179 and then 97 to 72.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd suggest it's been done before, seeing as CricInfo has only made a casual mention of the fact. They tend to be on the gun as far as those kind of statistics go.

shaka

International Regular
I doubt it would have happene many times before. Pakistan tended to bowl to his strong defencive action rather, by bowling around the wicket too much, by the right handers.

Langer indeed batted well throughout the matc, didnt look like he was finding it difficult.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I was going to send it in to Ask Steven on cricinfo.com, but I couldn't find an e-mail address they want people to send his questions to.

Seems like a good one for him, if someone sends it in.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If it has happened before I can't believe it'll have happened too many times... Liam's point makes sense.