• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Simon Jones or James Anderson?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
discuss,

personally i believe that anderson has much more talent and will take jones' place in the side within the next year or so

i rate anderson much higher than jones in terms or natural ability although they way jones bowled on the 1st day of the 1st test did impress me.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I generally don't rate Jones at all, whereas I think Andreson has genune talent.

Howver, the way Jones bowled yesterday has gone some way to making me rethink my ideas.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Tom Halsey said:
I generally don't rate Jones at all, whereas I think Andreson has genune talent.

Howver, the way Jones bowled yesterday has gone some way to making me rethink my ideas.
i couldnt agree more, although i still rate anderson above jones

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Simon Jones is the much better option for me. He just fits in better with the main bowlers Hoggard and Harmison.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
In my opinion, Anderson is the far better bowler.

Also, he's Lancastrian, whilst Jones is Welsh. Enough said

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
based on yesterdays performance i would agree with you there, but previously when has this been the case? ( excluding one or two occasions in the west indies)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I personally think they're both a bit of a work in progress. The lack of swing in his bowling of late makes Anderson so much less of a threat and he's not going to be a workhorse bowler with his lack of bowling in his life overall he's too wayward. Simon Jones is the better option at present but I would hope if he stays fit he'll build up his pace to something like what it used to be.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Neither. Both overrated liabilities who leak runs like there's no tomorrow. Saggers or Kirtley would be a better option imo, but admittedly are not the future.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
a massive zebra said:
Neither. Both overrated liabilities who leak runs like there's no tomorrow. Saggers or Kirtley would be a better option imo, but admittedly are not the future.
so who for the future then ? is there anyone better?

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
saggers and kirtley are both complete rubbish. kirtley more so than saggers. they have no potential at the intl level.

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
not a hope in hell

Swervy

International Captain
right at the moment I think Jones has the abilty to perform more in tests than Anderson....I think both have a hell of a lot of potential..they do need to sort Anderson's head position out big time though

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
sledger said:
based on yesterdays performance i would agree with you there, but previously when has this been the case? ( excluding one or two occasions in the west indies)
By the same token, when has Jones ever been truly fit?

NikhilN

International Regular
I have never seen Jones bowled and the last time I saw Anderson bowl was like 2 years ago but when I saw him I liked his bowling, and his colored hair.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I really like James Anderson. His stock outswinger can be pretty dangerous in the one-day game because he is an attacking bowler and always pitches it up. I haven't seen much of him in tests, unfortunately.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Jones ability to reverse the ball will get him in the team every time ahead of Anderson. If you have Anderson instead of Jones then you're relying on the ball swinging naturally too much due to having Hoggard in the team as well.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
I really like James Anderson. His stock outswinger can be pretty dangerous in the one-day game because he is an attacking bowler and always pitches it up. I haven't seen much of him in tests, unfortunately.
if he pitches it up, hes more likely to be carted all over the park. which in fact is precisely whats happened to him on the occasions that hes played on flat typical ODI wickets.