• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Users 24 years or below - pick your best team

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hey, i thought id get a thread going where you can pick your best team made up of the best players you have seen in your lifetime.... not before... so no bradman etc. Pick a captain, a vice captain and a 12th man.... place them in their batting line up.... remember this is totally opinionated so i expect heaps of different selections (controversial or not).... I've done mine.. and here it is:

M Hayden
R Dravid
A Border (vc)
S Tandulka
B Lara
S Waugh (c)
J Kallis
A Gilchrist
W Akram
M Muralithrian
G McGrath

R Ponting (12th man)

Good luck! hopefully it will spark some real debate,lol

benchmark00

lol i aint a bowler short.... Kallis is a more than handy bowler and capable of bowling alot, and could do that seeing he is batting so low....

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I wouldn't ever want somebody as a fourth bowler who's not capable of being selected on bowling alone - Kallis definitely isn't good enough with the ball to be picked if he couldn't bat.

benchmark00

yeah thats fair enough, i totally took that into account though, however, in my oppinion i think that on bowling alone he could make up (and generally improve) the make up of nearly every team in the world... maybe except Australia..... the only reason he isnt bowled as much as a front line bowler is because he bats at number 3, and everyone knows how hard it is to bowl for long periods then bat for long periods, this is taken out of the equation, because very rarely (if ever) would he have to bat and bowl for extended periods in the same day.... he is more than capable of performing a support role for akram and mcgrath and murali... any man who has taken 160+ wickets at 30 is a pretty handy backup

Hodgo7

School Boy/Girl Captain
My favourite team (not much older than 24)

Although im a tad over 24 i thought id put my ultimate team ive seen over the years.

1. Matthew Hayden
2. Rahul Dravid - would let him open to compensate for others.
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Brian Lara
5. Steve Waugh (c)
6. Jacque Kallis
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Shane Warne (vc) - underrated cricket brain. Smarter than most captains.
9. Wasim Akram
10. Curtley Ambrose
11. Glenn McGrath

Have got 3 front line bowlers all different in their own right. Also Shane Warne to come in and weave his magic and Jacque Kallis to bowl a few overs as well. Steve Waugh the extra option if needed.

benchmark00

Hodgo7 said:
Although im a tad over 24 i thought id put my ultimate team ive seen over the years.

1. Matthew Hayden
2. Rahul Dravid - would let him open to compensate for others.
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Brian Lara
5. Steve Waugh (c)
6. Jacque Kallis
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Shane Warne (vc) - underrated cricket brain. Smarter than most captains.
9. Wasim Akram
10. Curtley Ambrose
11. Glenn McGrath

Have got 3 front line bowlers all different in their own right. Also Shane Warne to come in and weave his magic and Jacque Kallis to bowl a few overs as well. Steve Waugh the extra option if needed.
good team and i really agree on warne, i think the only reason he is overlooked as captain is because of his....well..... off field incidents,lol

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
benchmark00 said:
M Hayden
R Dravid
A Border (vc)
S Tandulka
B Lara
S Waugh (c)
J Kallis
A Gilchrist
W Akram
M Muralithrian
G McGrath

R Ponting (12th man)
I'd have to say
Hayden
Langer- those two are the best opening pair I've seen.
Dravid
Tendulkar
Lara
S. Waugh (c)
Botham- can't believe he's not been mentioned
Warne (vc)
Akram
Ambrose
McGrath

Muralitharan (12th man)

Nedved's Fan

Cricket Spectator
M Hayden
S Anwar
R Dravid *
S Tendulkar
B Lara
J Kallis
A Gilchrist +
W Akram
C Ambrose
M Muralitharan
G McGrath

12th Man: S Waugh

Buddhmaster

International Captain
If someone is under 24, then you would pressume that they would have seen a bit of people like Ambrose, Botham, Dev and a few others.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Neil Pickup said:
I wouldn't ever want somebody as a fourth bowler who's not capable of being selected on bowling alone - Kallis definitely isn't good enough with the ball to be picked if he couldn't bat.
but surely this is what happens a large amount of the time, chris cairns is ( a slighty exxagerated ) example of this?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Cairns has always been good enough to be picked as a bowler alone - didn't he open the bowling in his farewell Test. Fifth bowlers (i.e. allrounders - Watson, Kallis, early Flintoff, Bravo, de Bruyn, etc) tend to come into the side on the strength of all-round skill, but there are few fourth bowlers (i.e. number eight batsmen) who aren't frontline bowlers.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
M.Hayden
J.Langer
B.C.Lara
S.R.Tendulkar
I.Potato Haq
J.Kallis
A.C.Gilchrist
W.Akram(c)
S.K.Warne
C.E.L.Ambrose
G.D.McGrath

AWESOME TEAM!

EDIT : I wouldnt dream of picking a team of favourites without Cronje and Azhar but his team would be the best.

Last edited:

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Hayden
Langer
Dravid
Tendulkar
Lara
S Waugh
Gilchrist(wk)
Wasim
Warne
Ambrose
McGrath

People who just missed out: Donald, Flower, Waqar, Murali, Kallis and Ponting

i wasn't sure about langer until i saw his 2 knocks against pakistan

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The Baconator said:
Hayden
Langer
Dravid
Tendulkar
Lara
S Waugh
Gilchrist(wk)
Wasim
Warne
Ambrose
McGrath

People who just missed out: Donald, Flower, Waqar, Murali, Kallis and Ponting

i wasn't sure about langer until i saw his 2 knocks against pakistan
i would take murali over wasim and possibly try to fit ponting in somewhere althouhg hard to find a place for him........langer is the only one that could possibly go although disposing of an opener for a upper middle order batsman would probably not be wise

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Openers - Hayden and Langer - would not break their partnership, both class players, score their runs fast and varying styles to make them even harder to bowl to.

3. Lara, no contest the best batsman ive ever seen.

4. M Waugh - would not necessarily score the most runs but superb to watch, not to mention a top class slipper

5. Dravid - Rock of the team, very solid technique, not the fastest run scorer in the world but still good to watch. also a pretty good slipper and a backup keeper.

6. D Martyn - didn;t even think much of him till recently, but has really improved alot and has started scoring alot faster, much better player for it. the mark waugh of the off side he was described as yesterday.

7. Gilly - best keeper batsman ever.

8. S Warne - best leggie ever.

9. Akram - great bowler, handy bat too

10. Waquar - get the combo going with akram, very deadly

11. McGrath - his batting, superb ;) nah seriously the most accurate bowler ever, forms a great partnership with warnie

hehe 2 great bowling combinations there :)

tommo_365

Cricket Spectator
Mark Taylor
Matthew Hayden
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Steve Waugh
Chris Cairns
Ian Healy
Shane Warne
Muralitharan
Glenn Mcgrath
Courtney Walsh

12th man:Ricky Ponting

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Mark Taylor
Matthew Hayden
Brian Lara
Mark Waugh
Sachin Tendulkar
Steve waugh
Adam Gilchrist ( as much as I liked healy )
Wasim Akram
Shane warne
Glenn Mcgrath ( not a great bowler but is handy with the bat :P )
Curtley Ambrose