• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Users 24 years or below - pick your best team

C_C

International Captain
Vic- no offence but Junior has no business being in that company.
He was classy but highly overrated. His suitable company is Vishwanath,Vengsarkar, Gower, Zaheer Abbass, Dean Jones, Mohammed Azharuddin etc. category.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
im picking him as an allrounder. before about 1996, he was one of the best partnership breakers of all time, and his ability to eek out a good innings under pressure was oft-ignored. if he had have gone on to make massive hundreds, then he would be averaging high 40s, maybe even 50s, and be seen as a bat of the highest class

56 wickets at 40 in test cricket
85 wickets at 35 in ODIs

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
C_C said:
He was classy but highly overrated. His suitable company is Vishwanath,Vengsarkar, Gower, Zaheer Abbass, Dean Jones, Mohammed Azharuddin etc. category.

lol i know this is oppinion but i have to back up vic here, although i didnt have junior in my 11 i DONT think the term 'highly overrated' applied to him, i do think he is a step above gower, zaheer, jones etc.... very calssy and he would deffinately be in my 11 if i chose it on looks (in the non gay way) and entertainment... but you have a fair point C_C... although vic i have to say gilchrist is a mile better than stewart... no matter what era... may say bias but i have the backing of richie benaud,lol... but hey as long as you can make a case its fair enough

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
bechmark- fair comment. But i think one can successfully argue in favour of Vishwanath, Gower and Zaheer Abbass over Mark waugh.......certainly all three had the elan and class to match/beat Mark Waugh.

And i think if batting is given equal weight as keeping ( which i dont-which is why i would prefer alan Knott or Jeff Dujon over Gillchrist/Flower etc) then only three batsmen can lay claim to the topmost echelon.
And those are Gillchrist, Les Ames and Andy Flower.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
stewart made those runs high in the order, under pressure without the support that gilchrist gets, on tracks that weren't as easy to bat on as what we have now against better bowling attacks, and at various stages he was opening, keeping and captaining, and still managed to do a reasonable job. and was at least an equal gloveman to gilchrist

benchmark00

C_C said:
bechmark- fair comment. But i think one can successfully argue in favour of Vishwanath, Gower and Zaheer Abbass over Mark waugh.......certainly all three had the elan and class to match/beat Mark Waugh.

And i think if batting is given equal weight as keeping ( which i dont-which is why i would prefer alan Knott or Jeff Dujon over Gillchrist/Flower etc) then only three batsmen can lay claim to the topmost echelon.
And those are Gillchrist, Les Ames and Andy Flower.
that is a fair point C_C and well backed up....

on your last point, i do rate gilchrist as a more than handy gloveman alone, but i think for sure you would have to have him on batting alone, and theres no doubt about his batting ability....

vic_orthdox said:
stewart made those runs high in the order, under pressure without the support that gilchrist gets, on tracks that weren't as easy to bat on as what we have now against better bowling attacks, and at various stages he was opening, keeping and captaining, and still managed to do a reasonable job. and was at least an equal gloveman to gilchrist
lol hmm i suppose you could have somewhat of a point, although i think you cant blame gilchrist for batting so low, i just dont think stewart had the ability to turn a match in a session.... and i think gilchrist batting anywhere in the order could do that, and about the pitches and pressure i think that can be argued against, i remember the match against pakistan at belreeve oval (haha excuse my atrocious spelling) when he came to the crease with justin langer and made match winning (along with langer) hundred, and i think its more than fair to say tassie hasnt been well known for its 'batsman's paradise' style pitches... so effectively he had no top order support and was more or less batting at 3/4.... and i think theres a point to be made that stewart had batters to bat with, how many times have we seen gilly quickly running out of partners?

but you are entitled to your opinion

Josh

International Regular
J.Langer [AUS]
D.Boon [AUS]
S.Tendulkar [IND]
R.Ponting (VC) [AUS]
B.Lara [WI]
M.Waugh [AUS]
A.Gilchrist (W) [AUS]
S.Warne [AUS]
Wasim Akram (C) [PAK]
C.Walsh [WI]
G.McGrath [AUS]
12th Man:
J.Kallis [SA]

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
ML Hayden
G Kirsten
R Dravid
BC Lara
SR Tendulkar
SR Waugh
AC Gilchrist +
SK Warne
Wasim Akram
CEL Ambrose
GD McGrath

partnerships are the key - Warne & McGrath there but i back Langer and Hayden any time, and Waqar and Wasim made a pretty devestating combo

Mr Mxyzptlk

James said:
Here's mine:

Langer
Tendulkar
Kallis
M Crowe - one of all time favourites so had to make room for him! ;)
S Waugh
Gilchrist
Cairns
Warne
Ambrose
Younis
McGrath
At the risk of Lara? I disown you James. ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
sorry i dont rate Tendulkar that highly anymore...
If it's a team of your cricket-watching life, then there is no way anyone under 24 could exclude him.

Mr Mxyzptlk

C_C said:
IMO Gower was a superior batsman to Mark Waugh. There's also a very good case for Zaheer Abbas.

Mr Mxyzptlk

age_master said:
partnerships are the key - Warne & McGrath there but i back Langer and Hayden any time, and Waqar and Wasim made a pretty devestating combo
Well then if that's your reasoning, Walsh should be there to keep Ambrose company, making it 6 bowlers. Why not Sarwan joining Lara too? This is not a team to play anyone. This is a team for picking a team's sake. I don't see where partnerships come into it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Well then if that's your reasoning, Walsh should be there to keep Ambrose company, making it 6 bowlers. Why not Sarwan joining Lara too? This is not a team to play anyone. This is a team for picking a team's sake. I don't see where partnerships come into it.
Totally agree. Plus, I don't think Akram would mind if he had Ambrose and McGrath on the other end instead of Waqar.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
partnerships isn't the sole reason, but if its close, thats the way i would go over the guys from different countries.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
meh, watch me :p
Sorry, perhaps I should've rephrased it as:

"If it's a team of your cricket-watching life, then there is no way any sane person under 24 could exclude him." ;)

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Totally agree. Plus, I don't think Akram would mind if he had Ambrose and McGrath on the other end instead of Waqar.
AM I horribly off, or dont Wasim and Waqar have some friction nowadays?

Deja moo

International Captain
G Kirsten
M Hayden
R Dravid
S Tendulkar
B Lara
S Waugh
A Gilchrist (wk)
W Akram
S Warne
C Ambrose
G McGrath

The safe option for captain would of course be Steve Waugh . But I'd like to see Tendulkar captain. His ideas would be suitable for a team of such class.