• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd, 4th and 5th fastest bowlers in New Zealand

Right arm fast

State Vice-Captain
I waz watching old tapes of shane bond 2day and i waz thinking about how much the kiwis missed pace. bondy and butler are rated one and two for speed in new zealand but hus the next three. mi guesses wuld b martin, sherlock and mayb cairns but ive reallyt got no idea is there n e one in state cricket with n e pace?

Kent

State 12th Man
I'm trying to think when was the last time Butler actually knocked the top off a FC side. I imagine he's done it at some point, but you'd need to go back a while I imagine. Sherlock can at least say he's done it three times in the last 12 months (Wellington, Highveld Lions), but unfortunately he's just not getting the chance to improve his skills by stringing some games together.

I'm don't think I've seen Davis bowl yet, but I'd say Gillespie is slightly above the average domestic trundler. Then again I heard Bryan Waddle taking the p*ss out of how short he was bowling against Otago, so that doesn't sound very promising.

Perhaps everyone on CW should e-mail cricket@skytv.co.nz, saying we demand they take the radar to televised State Shield matches this summer. Sack Nisbett and co. - rather than 6 different voices every 90 minutes, I'd be far more likely to watch if they had the damn radar! :)

anzac

International Debutant
I'm interested to see how Cornelius goes this season - he was supposedly quite quick & aggro b4 he suffered the infernal back stress injury..........

Tuffey is military medium fast rather than fast medium IMO - my guess is that he would be among the slower seamers in the side atm..........along with Franklin.......

from all accounts Adams may not be far off the list for pace................

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Wade Cornelius was hitting 140 km's + before he was injured 2 years ago. Im not sure what his comeback has been like though.

Hayden Shaw can also bowl quite fast.

But until we introduce the quick bowlers we've got down at the Academy, there aren't many around on the domestic scene.

bryce

International Regular
Kent said:
I'm trying to think when was the last time Butler actually knocked the top off a FC side. I imagine he's done it at some point, but you'd need to go back a while I imagine. Sherlock can at least say he's done it three times in the last 12 months (Wellington, Highveld Lions)
highveld lions wasn't even a first class side, i find it hard to believe that sherlock has knocked the tops of 3 FC sides when he only has a mere six FC wickets - four came against wellington in last years opening state championship match aswell.
i agree with you though that butler rarely does it, from memory he got a five-for in a championship match last year, but he hasn't learnt how to take wickets at FC and test level yet and he won't develop into a good bowler until he does.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
James McMillan when fully fit is quite quick. But he will probarbly never be fully fit again, Im pretty sure he now only limits himslef to his short run up.

Kent

State 12th Man
southern man said:
James McMillan when fully fit is quite quick. But he will probarbly never be fully fit again, Im pretty sure he now only limits himslef to his short run up.
Yeah, he certainly seemed to be putting more into it than Wilson at the Basin the other day. Hopkins took quite a few of his shorter deliveries above head height.

Kent

State 12th Man
bryce said:
highveld lions wasn't even a first class side, i find it hard to believe that sherlock has knocked the tops of 3 FC sides when he only has a mere six FC wickets - four came against wellington in last years opening state championship match aswell.
The game Sherlock played wasn't a FC fixture, although the Highveld Lions are a FC side. I'm trying to help to the guy out, especially after he said his back was giving him problems as far back as that SA tour.

One of the things I like about Sherlock is that in a very small number of games, he's shown he's capable of making inroads into top-orders. Butler just doesn't move the new ball enough to do that very often it seems.

Last edited:

cbuts

International Debutant
Kent said:
I'm trying to think when was the last time Butler actually knocked the top off a FC side. I imagine he's done it at some point, but you'd need to go back a while I imagine. Sherlock can at least say he's done it three times in the last 12 months (Wellington, Highveld Lions), but unfortunately he's just not getting the chance to improve his skills by stringing some games together.

I'm don't think I've seen Davis bowl yet, but I'd say Gillespie is slightly above the average domestic trundler. Then again I heard Bryan Waddle taking the p*ss out of how short he was bowling against Otago, so that doesn't sound very promising.

Perhaps everyone on CW should e-mail cricket@skytv.co.nz, saying we demand they take the radar to televised State Shield matches this summer. Sack Nisbett and co. - rather than 6 different voices every 90 minutes, I'd be far more likely to watch if they had the damn radar! :)
sherlock and davis would be our next quickest. the last time butler knocked over a frist class side - the last test he was picked for, 6-36 agiasnt pakistan. for some reason hasnt been picked since

bryce

International Regular
Kent said:
The game Sherlock played wasn't a FC fixture, although the Highveld Lions are a FC side. I'm trying to help to the guy out, especially after he said his back was giving him problems as far back as that SA tour.
the gauteng lions are the first class side, otherwise it would of been classified as a first class match, sorry it sounded more like to me that you were trying to knock butler more than anything.

bryce

International Regular
cbuts said:
the last time butler knocked over a frist class side - the last test he was picked for, 6-36 agiasnt pakistan. for some reason hasnt been picked since
he played the first test against bangladesh and went wicketless

Kent

State 12th Man
bryce said:
the gauteng lions are the first class side, otherwise it would of been classified as a first class match, sorry it sounded more like to me that you were trying to knock butler more than anything.
SA domestic cricket has been restructured into new franchises.
The SA media are reporting on 'the Highveld Lions' in their current domestic comps anyway -

http://news.google.co.nz/news?hl=en&ned=nz&q="Highveld+Lions"&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d

I think the match wasn't deemed FC because they were playing the 'any 11 bat, any 11 field' rule.

Kent

State 12th Man
cbuts said:
sherlock and davis would be our next quickest. the last time butler knocked over a frist class side - the last test he was picked for, 6-36 agiasnt pakistan. for some reason hasnt been picked since
By 'knocked the top off' I'm talking more about dismissing top-order batsmen is his opening spell.

bryce

International Regular

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Kent said:
Yeah, he certainly seemed to be putting more into it than Wilson at the Basin the other day. Hopkins took quite a few of his shorter deliveries above head height.

Wilson has decided to bowl slower to save himself from injury. If he tries to bowl as fast as he was last seaosn he puts himself at high risk of further back injuries.