• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Under rated Aussie player

Most under rated Aussie

• Langer

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • Hayden

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Ponting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martyn

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Lehmann

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Clarke

• Gilchrist

• Warne

• Gillespie

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Kaspa

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • McGrath

• Lee

• Katich

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Symonds

• Watson

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
This year has been a real change in the aussie team with Langer and Martyn performing the best of the batsman rather than a ponting, or hayden (though hayden did crack another 1000 year)

but who do people think is the most under rated player in the international side at the moment.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Gillespie has been highly under rated player for a fair part of his career.

Stuart Law was very under rated indeed.

Among the current crop, there is no one truly under rated though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Gillespie isn't underrated, he's overlooked. There's a difference. People still acknowledge how dangerous a bowler he is, but when there is Warne and McGrath also in the team, you have to expect that the attention and praise will generally go to those two.

Most underrated is Kaspa since some people have still called for Lee to replace him. Today's performance proving just how damaging he can be.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Langer and martyn often go unnoticed, even though lang has 21 test hundreds. Dizzy has been superb the last few tests :)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i think katich is pretty underrated, in that he doesnt get the proper acknowledgement he deserves from cricket australia when it comes to selection.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
Langer and martyn often go unnoticed, even though lang has 21 test hundreds. Dizzy has been superb the last few tests :)
I think it's more un-noticed rather than under-rated - 2 class batsmen who get overshadowed by the rest!

bryce

International Regular
Deja moo said:
Theres no one under rated there now, except if Brad Hogg has a very good season.
averaging 37 with the bat batting at number eight aswell as 20 wickets at 24.15 in 2004 so far doesn't sound too bad to me

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jono said:
Gillespie isn't underrated, he's overlooked. There's a difference. People still acknowledge how dangerous a bowler he is, but when there is Warne and McGrath also in the team, you have to expect that the attention and praise will generally go to those two.
Gillepie was pretty awesome early in his career but every one kept talking about McGrath. Ha Gillespie not had his share o injuries and played more, he would be much higher regarded by many.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
I think it's more un-noticed rather than under-rated - 2 class batsmen who get overshadowed by the rest!
I'd agree to that to an extent... but it seems to me that here in Australia, the first name that used to come up when a batsman might be dropped was Martyn. After this year, I thought it might go out the window for at least a while.
However, even the other morning, when everyone was talking about Lee being selected as a fifth bowler, I hear on the news "..the batsman who could possibly be dropped is either Darren Lehmann or home-town boy Martyn"... It was garbage, and the selectors dont do stupid things like that. But the fact that it was even mentioned tells me something.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'd go with Martyn, it seemed a few months ago that certain New South Welshmen wanted him out of the side every week because one of the NSW U19s scored a century in a Second XI game.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Martyn or Katich, I dunno.

Martyn goes so unnoticed, and Katich would walk into every other Test side on the planet - and IMO should be in the Aussie side too.