• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Under rated Aussie player

Most under rated Aussie

• Langer

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • Hayden

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Ponting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martyn

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Lehmann

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Clarke

• Gilchrist

• Warne

• Gillespie

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Kaspa

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • McGrath

• Lee

• Katich

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Symonds

• Watson

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Slow Love™

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Gillepie was pretty awesome early in his career but every one kept talking about McGrath. Ha Gillespie not had his share o injuries and played more, he would be much higher regarded by many.
There's two sides to this though - I think Gillespie has benefited quite a bit from having a bowler like McGrath to share the ball with, even though I acknowledge that Gillespie's a top-class bowler. If I had a criticism of Gillespie, it'd be that he hasn't looked as good when he's had to carry the attack.

I think he is pretty highly regarded though, anyway. McGrath deserves more attention.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I voted Langer.

Until this last test I wasn't quite aware how impressive his 50-100 conversion rate is.

Great player, guess I've been blinded by the other great Oz batters & Langer's slightly sanctimonious pronouncements.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
I picked Kaspa because IMO he shouldn't of have even been considered to be dropped from the side, and he showed how good he really is. But it shows you that the selectors don't really under rate him.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its difficult to pick from the current Aussies since I think being in such an outstanding side and with so little competition they all seem to get a lot of praise. But if I had to choose one, it would have to be Kaper. I have rarely seen him bowl badly and yest he is one of the first to be dropped if Australia have to make a change in the attack.

I also feel that inspite of the early days, Clarke is still not recognised as the great talent that he is. I said so before he played his first test and I dont mind saying it again. He is THE great player of the next decade.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Hayden has proved his class around the world over the last 3 years and is not rated as high as he should be, but Martyn very rarely gets the headlines despite an excellent Test average of 48, so my vote goes to him.

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
Hayden has proved his class around the world over the last 3 years and is not rated as high as he should be
oh really? remind me what hayden did in england last time?
and remind me what hayden has ever done in conditions conducive for pace bowlers. hardly surprising that he failed in perth either.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tom Halsey said:
Martyn goes so unnoticed, and Katich would walk into every other Test side on the planet - and IMO should be in the Aussie side too.
In which case you'll tell us who he'd replace...

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
oh really? remind me what hayden did in england last time?
and remind me what hayden has ever done in conditions conducive for pace bowlers. hardly surprising that he failed in perth either.
Well I can remember another knock of his at Perth, now that you mention it...

Craig

World Traveller
age_master said:
should probably be in for lehmann based on current form :(
I will say Lehmann will be given until the end of the Test series to make a big score (ie over 100) and if Katich goes on a run scoring spree, well...

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Mr Casson said:
It's 380 runs!! You can't put it all down to Zimbabwe.
Exactly. I dont see how anyone could dispute that Hayden hasnt shown his class in the last three years. And by saying he failed in England, thus meaning that he isn't class, then by that logic no batsmam is class due to the fact that everyone has poor series sometimes.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
It's 380 runs!! You can't put it all down to Zimbabwe.
no i cant and im not, i know that hes good enough to score on flat wickets and/or poor bowling attacks. but from what ive seen so far, hayden has never ever succeeded on a seamer friendly or even marginally seamer friendly wicket. if he played about 10 years ago, IMO he'd be averaging in the 30s.

tooextracool

International Coach
KennyD said:
Exactly. I dont see how anyone could dispute that Hayden hasnt shown his class in the last three years. And by saying he failed in England, thus meaning that he isn't class, then by that logic no batsmam is class due to the fact that everyone has poor series sometimes.
nope im saying that he failed not only in england, but also every time he was faced with a wicket that offered assistance to the seamers. hes been extremely fortunate to play most of his career on a series of flat wickets and has scored prolifically on them. on the few occasions that he did play on seamer friendly wickets- durban 01/02, eng series 01, darwin 04, and now perth(even though there wasnt significant movement), hes been extremely poor.