• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Class of 2004

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
I'd look towards the 47 all out and SH's 7-12.
Who would have predicated he would take 7-12 to rout the West Indies? If somebody had placed a bet on Harmison to rip the WI to shreds they probably would have made a fortune.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Who would have predicated he would take 7-12 to rout the West Indies? If somebody had placed a bet on Harmison to rip the WI to shreds they probably would have made a fortune.
I always thought that there was a reason they retained him in the side despite a less than brilliant start, so I thought he'd have to pick up some soon, but not that many that cheaply!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
badgerhair said:
I think McCullum's keeping is so awful that it will not do. Not when the team is captained, as it should be, by Shane Warne, who has captained his country as well as his State and county, mostly with good results. Missing chances off the skipper's bowling is generally held to be bad policy.

Cheers,

Mike
Not sure how I managed to forget Warne's captaincy experience - I won't bother making up weak excuses - so we'll have a switcharound there. Probably seeing the argument for Sangakkara now, must admit to not realising he'd made so many against non-Zimbabwe teams.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Totally agree, solely based on 2004 form I'd give Sangakkara the nod. His overall average of 49.28 from 44 tests isn't embarrassed by comparison to Gilly's either.

My team:

1) J Langer (1481 runs in 2004 @ 54.85)
2) *A Strauss (971 @ 60.69)
3) Vr Sehwag (1141 @ 63.38)
4) J Kallis (1288 @ 80.50, 12 wickets @ 48.42)
5) D Martyn (1353 @ 56.37)
6) A Flintoff (898 @ 52.82, 43 wickets @ 25.77)
7) +K Sangakkara (1114 @ 55.70, 20 catches, 4 stumpings)
8) S Warne (211 @ 11.72, 70 wickets @ 24.07)
9) J Gillespe (314 @ 19.63, 55 wickets @ 24.89)
10) S Harmison (67 wickets @ 23.92)
11) G McGrath (47 wickets @ 18.46)

Anil Kumble v unlucky to miss out, if it was a turning pitch he may get the nod ahead of Dizzy. :)
Having just done a bit of research to sort out the few slots I wasn't sure about, I was going to post exactly the same team as this, albeit with Sehwag/Strauss and Flintoff/Sangakarra reversed. Wouldn't be too concerned about the batting order though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
garage flower said:
Having just done a bit of research to sort out the few slots I wasn't sure about, I was going to post exactly the same team as this, albeit with Sehwag/Strauss and Flintoff/Sangakarra reversed. Wouldn't be too concerned about the batting order though.
What can I say? Great minds thinking alike...! :D

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
1) J Langer
2) A Strauss
3) V Sehwag
4) J Kallis
5) D Martyn
6) A Flintoff
7) +K Sangakkara
8) *J Gillespie
9) S Warne
10) G McGrath
11) S Harmison

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Dizzy #4 said:
1) J Langer
2) A Strauss
3) V Sehwag
4) J Kallis
5) D Martyn
6) A Flintoff
7) +K Sangakkara
8) *J Gillespie
9) S Warne
10) G McGrath
11) S Harmison
This would be my exact team

Deja moo

International Captain
Dizzy #4 said:
1) J Langer
2) A Strauss
3) V Sehwag
4) J Kallis
5) D Martyn
6) A Flintoff
7) +K Sangakkara
8) *J Gillespie
9) S Warne
10) G McGrath
11) S Harmison
Going purely by 2004 performances, I'd have to say that is the team of the last year, except maybe for a toss-up between Kumble and Warne.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Deja moo said:
Going purely by 2004 performances, I'd have to say that is the team of the last year, except maybe for a toss-up between Kumble and Warne.
Can't say I followed India too much except for when Australia was there. Did Kumble do much of note for the rest of the year? Warne had a pretty damn fine series in Sri Lanka.

Deja moo

International Captain
Mr Casson said:
Can't say I followed India too much except for when Australia was there. Did Kumble do much of note for the rest of the year? Warne had a pretty damn fine series in Sri Lanka.

If I'm not mistaken, Kumble has 4 wickets more than Warne in as many tests this last year.

Kumble picked 24 wickets in 3 tests in Australia, 15 in 3 in Pakistan . I do not know the exact figures for the Australia in India series, but he did well there too ( remember his 7-48 on a first days pitch in the Chennai test to bring aus down from 110-1 to 235 a.o?).

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
If I'm not mistaken, Kumble has 4 wickets more than Warne in as many tests this last year.

Kumble picked 24 wickets in 3 tests in Australia, 15 in 3 in Pakistan . I do not know the exact figures for the Australia in India series, but he did well there too ( remember his 7-48 on a first days pitch in the Chennai test to bring aus down from 110-1 to 235 a.o?).

IIRC only one of the tests in Australia was in 2004 though, though did take 12 in it. That was his only test outside the sub continent in 2004