• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Class of 2004

Wombat

Cricket Spectator
My X1

JL Langer
M Vaughan (c)
JH Kallis
DR Martyn
GP Thorpe
A Flintoff
AC Gilchrist +
SK Warne
JN Gillespie
SP Harmison
GM McGrath

I just think that Vaughan has started to become the complete package and is always consist on form and should be there.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wombat said:
JL Langer
M Vaughan (c)
JH Kallis
DR Martyn
GP Thorpe
A Flintoff
AC Gilchrist +
SK Warne
JN Gillespie
SP Harmison
GM McGrath

I just think that Vaughan has started to become the complete package and is always consist on form and should be there.
Vaughan (MP btw) consistent? This year...
15, 11*, 0, 23, 17, 32, 7, 140, 13, 61, 10, 103, 101*, 12, 3, 12, 33, 66, 10, 15. That's hardly consistent. Consider that he scored 684 runs at 38.00 (20 innings) this year and 344 of those runs came in 3 innings.

Also, it's GD McGrath and SJ Harmison.

Josh

International Regular
J.Langer [AUS]
C.Gayle [WI]
B.Lara (C) [WI]
J.Kallis [SA]
A.Flintoff [ENG]
M.Clarke [AUS]
A.Gilchrist (W) [AUS]
S.Warne [AUS]
D.Kaneria [PAK]
S.Harmison [ENG]
G.McGrath [AUS]

12th.: J.Gillespie [AUS]

Swervy

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Vaughan (MP btw) consistent? This year...
15, 11*, 0, 23, 17, 32, 7, 140, 13, 61, 10, 103, 101*, 12, 3, 12, 33, 66, 10, 15. That's hardly consistent. Consider that he scored 684 runs at 38.00 (20 innings) this year and 344 of those runs came in 3 innings.
pretty much the same arguement I came up with about Tendulkar and I got shot down for it :D

pskov

International 12th Man
Langer
Strauss
Kallis
Lara
Martyn
Flintoff
Gilchrist wk/capt
Warne
Gillespie
McGrath
Harmison

Mr Mxyzptlk

Swervy said:
pretty much the same arguement I came up with about Tendulkar and I got shot down for it :D
How can a man who has averaged 38 in a year be in the best XI of the year. How crap does Test cricket have to be for that to happen?

Mr Mxyzptlk

pskov said:
Langer
Strauss
Kallis
Lara
Martyn
Flintoff
Gilchrist wk/capt
Warne
Gillespie
McGrath
Harmison
Did Gillespie really do enough to be there ahead of say Kumble?

pskov

International 12th Man
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Did Gillespie really do enough to be there ahead of say Kumble?
I just did that list off the top of my head without much deep contemplation, so Dizzie's recent high profile exploits are probably affecting my decision.

Mr Mxyzptlk

pskov said:
I just did that list off the top of my head without much deep contemplation, so Dizzie's recent high profile exploits are probably affecting my decision.
I believe he's taken less than 4 wickets per Test this year. May be wrong.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
In no particular order: Langer and Strauss have been immense at the top of the order for their respective countries. Martyn and Thorpe have hit numerous key knocks as and when it mattered. Harmison has made a real breakthrough, McGrath has confirmed his modern great status and Warne has a lead at the top of the all-time wicket takers' table. Then there's Freddie.

That gives me eight - four each - from England and Australia, the two teams whose year 2004 has been. Kallis is then a must-pick after some fantastic centuries, and hence there's five bowling options and six batsmen. Then I need a wicket-keeper - well, by process of it not being Boucher/Tsolekile, Jacobs, Geraint/Read, Taibu, Moin/Rashid/Kamran, Parthiv/Dhoni/Karthik or Khaled, it's one from McCullum, Sangakkara or Gilchrist. I'm going to go with Brendon as he's impressed me in what I've seen of him, and Australia already have their four.

To round out the 11, I'm going to go for Dwayne Bravo - he really impressed me in the summer with bat, ball and brain. Strauss is the only one I'm aware of with captaincy experience, so he gets the armband.

JL Langer
*AJ Strauss
JH Kallis
DR Martyn
GP Thorpe
A Flintoff
+BB McCullum
DDJ Bravo
SK Warne
SJ Harmison
GD McGrath

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Martyn, Kallis, Langer, Sangakarra and Harmison must be automatic picks given their performances. Strauss is a possibility along with Lara, Bravo and Gayle. Flintoff also should be in there. McGrath, Warne, Kumble and Singh have had some good performances.

tooextracool

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
JL Langer
*AJ Strauss
JH Kallis
DR Martyn
GP Thorpe
A Flintoff
+BB McCullum
DDJ Bravo
SK Warne
SJ Harmison
GD McGrath
nice dwayne bravo. really has been quite a remarkable find for the WI.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
It is abundantly clear that that hundred was extremely significant for West Indian cricket, especially given what then took place in England. Losing that series 4-0 would have been a near death blow in my estimation. We needed that then and, quite frankly, it had to come from Lara - the captain, the genius. Had we been swept and Lara had the series he was having (ie 100 runs in his first 6 innings), it would have been nothing short of devastating.
Would say a big innings say by Ramnaresh Sarwan for example came from him and prevented a a clean sweep would still be seen as significant?

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I believe he's taken less than 4 wickets per Test this year. May be wrong.
If you have seen him bowl (not accussing you of anything) this year he would certainly justify a spot in the team.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
In no particular order: Langer and Strauss have been immense at the top of the order for their respective countries. Martyn and Thorpe have hit numerous key knocks as and when it mattered. Harmison has made a real breakthrough, McGrath has confirmed his modern great status and Warne has a lead at the top of the all-time wicket takers' table. Then there's Freddie.

That gives me eight - four each - from England and Australia, the two teams whose year 2004 has been. Kallis is then a must-pick after some fantastic centuries, and hence there's five bowling options and six batsmen. Then I need a wicket-keeper - well, by process of it not being Boucher/Tsolekile, Jacobs, Geraint/Read, Taibu, Moin/Rashid/Kamran, Parthiv/Dhoni/Karthik or Khaled, it's one from McCullum, Sangakkara or Gilchrist. I'm going to go with Brendon as he's impressed me in what I've seen of him, and Australia already have their four.

To round out the 11, I'm going to go for Dwayne Bravo - he really impressed me in the summer with bat, ball and brain. Strauss is the only one I'm aware of with captaincy experience, so he gets the armband.

JL Langer
*AJ Strauss
JH Kallis
DR Martyn
GP Thorpe
A Flintoff
+BB McCullum
DDJ Bravo
SK Warne
SJ Harmison
GD McGrath
Shane Warne has captained Victoria and Australia in ODIs (9 wins from 10 games) and Damien Martyn at some point IIRC has captained Western Australia and so has Justin Langer.

Josh

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Poor Carlton Baugh...
He has promise. Hope he gets more of a go. Certainly not the best keeper of '04 tho. Not even in the top 3...