• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Class of 2004

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
And that is why I included both Martyn and Thorpe.

If I were to do my side agains I would have Kallis at three instead of Lara which I have said.
I would have my team as follows.

Langer
Sehwag
Kallis
Martyn
Lara
Flintoff
Gilchrist
Warne
Kumble
Kasprowicz
Harmison

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But why does everyone think the 400 should be disregarded? Sure it was a flat wicket, but making 400 on a flat wicket is still pretty tough. And let us not forget the immense pressure he was under when he went out to bat. And surely, the English attack is amongst the top 3 in the world, atleast throughout this year.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Exactly. That 400* was just incredible, no doubt about it. But that hardly makes the whole of 2004 a spectacular year for him.

tooextracool

International Coach
SirBloody Idiot said:
Yes I have.

03/04 was at 40, and 04 was at around 60 odd.

But, my belief is that Martyn and Kallis have batted better because of the fact of the conditions they have played in. While Thorpe has batted mostly at home against the inferior test attacks of WI and NZ, Martyn has had to deal with touring Sri Lanka and India.
to be fair to thorpe he did score prolifically on that tour to the WI in seamer friendly conditions. that 119 at barbados is better than any innings that either of the other 2 have played this year.

tooextracool

International Coach
honestbharani said:
But why does everyone think the 400 should be disregarded? Sure it was a flat wicket, but making 400 on a flat wicket is still pretty tough. And let us not forget the immense pressure he was under when he went out to bat. And surely, the English attack is amongst the top 3 in the world, atleast throughout this year.
because consistency is more important. someone who scores 4 100s in 8 games has played a major part in winning 4 games. someone who scored a 400 in 1 game and failed in the rest has done his part in winning/saving 1 test on a very flat wicket, but hes also done a major part in losing the next 7.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:
Kumble over Warne, because Warne's so called great impact in 2004 was largely due to the exaggerated effect of the 26 wickets in 3 tests against SL . His performance outside of this were not extra-ordinary and in India he was outdone by the Indian spinners !!
Of course we don't know what he'd have done with a pitch that Clarke took 6-9 on...

Craig

World Traveller
LongHopCassidy said:
1. Chris Gayle
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Damien Martyn
5. Michael Clarke
6. Andrew Flintoff
7. Adam Gilchrist (keeper/captain)
8. Shane Warne
9. Irfan Pathan
10. Muttiah Muralitharan
11. Steve Harmison
Irfn Pathan? Care to explain?

No Langer after the form he has been in?

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
Irfn Pathan? Care to explain?

No Langer after the form he has been in?
people tend to look at irfan pathan as being better than he actually is. the man hasnt done anything at the international level yet hes apparently right up there with the best.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
tooextracool said:
because consistency is more important. someone who scores 4 100s in 8 games has played a major part in winning 4 games. someone who scored a 400 in 1 game and failed in the rest has done his part in winning/saving 1 test on a very flat wicket, but hes also done a major part in losing the next 7.
I am not arguing with Kallis or Martyn being selected ahead of Lara. But I guess sometimes people tend to devalue his 400 a bit. I am sure he has not been as consistent as he has been, but it seems people just use that to sort of devalue that 400.

tooextracool

International Coach
honestbharani said:
I am not arguing with Kallis or Martyn being selected ahead of Lara. But I guess sometimes people tend to devalue his 400 a bit. I am sure he has not been as consistent as he has been, but it seems people just use that to sort of devalue that 400.
yes but someone who scores a 400 on what was easily the flattest wicket of the year and doesnt do too much else, hasnt exactly set the world alight this year, even if the averages suggest so.

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
people tend to look at irfan pathan as being better than he actually is. the man hasnt done anything at the international level yet hes apparently right up there with the best.
Excatly what I thought.

amit_s

Banned
2004 xis -

tests -

sehwag
langer
dravid
kallis
martyn
flintoff
sangakara (w)
gillespie
harminson
warne
kumble

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
langer
strauss
dravid
martyn
kallis
flintoff
gilchrist
gillespie
kumble
harmison
mcgrath

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
to be fair to thorpe he did score prolifically on that tour to the WI in seamer friendly conditions. that 119 at barbados is better than any innings that either of the other 2 have played this year.
Not as good as some of those 100s Martyn had in India.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SirBloody Idiot said:
Not as good as some of those 100s Martyn had in India.
I would contest that. You underestimate how hard it was to bat in that particular innings. He played an amazing hand of concentration, skill and resolve. One of the best knocks I've seen in any recent memory.

Mr Mxyzptlk

amit_s said:
2004 xis -

tests -

sehwag
langer
dravid
kallis
martyn
flintoff
sangakara (w)
gillespie
harminson
warne
kumble
Not sure about Harminson, but Harmison is a number XI for sure, not the least when compared to Warne and Kumble. Also, I'd be extremely hard-pressed to leave Strauss out. Near 1000 runs in his first year of Tests at an average around 60. Amazing.

Mr Mxyzptlk

honestbharani said:
It is abundantly clear that that hundred was extremely significant for West Indian cricket, especially given what then took place in England. Losing that series 4-0 would have been a near death blow in my estimation. We needed that then and, quite frankly, it had to come from Lara - the captain, the genius. Had we been swept and Lara had the series he was having (ie 100 runs in his first 6 innings), it would have been nothing short of devastating.