• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Srinath to play county cricket..

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Rediff.com..says tht srinath has signed up for Leicestershire. His reason is that since he is out of the ICC cup..he needs this to stay match fit.
And he has also got the permission of the board :O
He has also turned down the offer to play in SA league on the ground that it clashes with Indian Domestic league.

Now i am of the firm opinion that county cricket is utter crap and over hyped.
But i have not known many counties to make wrong decisions. Atleast when it comes to picking overseas cricketers counties have come up with some excellent choices.

So does his signing mean that Srinath is still good?

What would it mean if he performed excellently while india stumble from defeat to defeat?

Does he still have the fire judging from this signing and his will to play domestic cricket ?

And lastly does his resignation have to do with politics and respect...rather than fatigue and fitness ?

Man this leaves me totally confused..

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
This thread so much reflects real life..hehe
Despite being possibly India's best ever fast bowler and consistently fastest one..
and may be top 5 of his time if only he had support and more mental strenght..

But he gets no press, no support even from die hard cricket fans.

While the likes of lee,akhtar get all sorts of hype coz they are charismatic :(!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Hey scorpio, you forgot about a gentleman called Kapil Dev. Srinath can be called India's second best, no possibility of his being number one. If he had better support, he might have been more successful in terms of wickets, but as you said, no mental strength was his worst failing and that would have prevented him from being in the top 5 even in his era.

Even while calling him second best we still have to acknowledge the fact that there is a lot of daylight between him and Kapil in his prime.

lordprasad

Cricket Spectator
Prasad and Srinath were the best pace duo till a few yrs back.The corrupt Indian selectors are deliberately ignoring them are playing sifarishi players.Its time Indians stood up and take a shot at the selectors, the two living legends should be called back into the Indian team!

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
This thread so much reflects real life..hehe
Despite being possibly India's best ever fast bowler and consistently fastest one..
You see Srinath and always think what could have been, if.....

This guy had the potential and was very menacing on his day, almost unplayable at times even in dead pitches in the subcontinent but then he just lacked that belief or something that could make him one of the greatest.He always appeared to suddenly give up and then he would just stray in his line and length and get clobbered and it would be a downward spiral from there.It was so frustrating to see Srinath just unable to get it right once the chips were down.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Consider who he had to support him over the years. You'd be a little despondent if you you couldn't bowl as fast and as menacing as you want to because there's no-one to support you. The problem with Srinath was that he aways had to moonlight between being a stock line-and-length bowler and an attacking strike bowler. If he were in an attack like the Aussie attack where he could attack all the time, there's no telling just how good he could have been.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Srinath hangs his head when he starts getting hit. Can we say that this is because he is bowling for India without support? I say no, that is his mental makeup. So, when you say "attack all the time", how can you if you get depressed after getting hit for a couple of boundaries? I have seen several fast bowlers being hit all over the place, not losing their aggression and coming back to bowl successful spells in the same innings(quite a lot of them much less talented than Srinath).A fast bowler should have the fire in his belly and should also be tough enough to take a few knocks. I always felt Srinath was too nice a person for this and that is the reason why he will always be less successful than what his talent demands.

BengalCat

Cricket Spectator
Yeah, Nath had that problem, he somehow use to give up when the batters got on top of him.However he was a one of India's best pacer

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Time to dig this one up...i am finding that none of questions have been answered. Despite the Brilliant performance by Agarkar and NEhra...india could do with one more quality bowler digging along wiht Zaheer.

Strangely no one seems to care...and with every passing day i am thinkin his retirement has more to do with internal politics and may be not getting along with ganguly and selectors.

From another website:

Yorkshire batted first -- and lost three quick wickets, two of them to Srinath, reducing them to 22/3 and eventually, to 276 all out. Srinath's figures: 18-7-38-3

Leicestershire, replying, are 150/7 at one point. Enter a certain J Srinath -- to club 52 off 93 balls with five fours and three sixes, helping take his team to 279.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
So does his signing mean that Srinath is still good?
Srinath is still the best pacer in India not that that is saying much.

What would it mean if he performed excellently while india stumble from defeat to defeat?
It would not mean much because even when he was in the team and at his peak, India were still stumbling from defeat to defeat, especially overseas.

Does he still have the fire judging from this signing and his will to play domestic cricket ?
He declares that he still wants to play one dayers. So, he has a little fire left in him.

And lastly does his resignation have to do with politics and respect...rather than fatigue and fitness ?
I would say, probably a bit of both. Just my guess.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
To pull some of the earlier points together...

County Cricket isn't that mentally demanding (compared to Tests) so, if that is Srinath's problem, that could contribute to why he's done well here. That or the standard is poor...

Zaheer has impressed me mentally in the fourth test - he's kept running in and bowling even though Vaughan was in sensational form. Whereas Ajit was bowling "stuff that my Mum wouldn't mind" - Dermot Reeve...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I understand that Dermot Reeve's mum is going to start making the teas for Surrey, in which case she is likely to be a late inclusion for the Champions Trophy.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Srinath is a Quality Fast Bowler one of Indias best, I can not believe that he is not in ANY Indian squad

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Erm, he retired from Tests in order to save himself for One Day Cricket, then signed on for a county - really saving himself there.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Erm, he retired from Tests in order to save himself for One Day Cricket, then signed on for a county - really saving himself there.
His explanation is that he signed on for a county to stay match fit because he was not picked for the ICC trophy. I don't know that it will do him any good, though because after he ignored Ganguly's repeated pleas to tour England, he seems to have fallen out of favour with the selectors.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Nath will be back for the WC.Indians can't play without him coz he's still a world class bowler and Indian's no 1 bowler
No doubts there, the indian attack at the moment is very inexperienced and will invariably suffer when opposed to any decent batting line up.