• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go for 50 Tendulkar

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Gavaskar told Tendulkar to not stop at 40 and go for 50. Tendulkar agreed he would.

Woooooooooooooooo

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
superkingdave said:
Well it shouldn't be to hard if he plays Bangladesh enough
The critics are not satisfied with any thing are they. Wont argue with you on this.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
superkingdave said:
Every team plays Bangladesh. Now if only they could get as many centuries as Sachin, you'd have a point. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
Inspite of his bad form and all the flak that he is getting on account of that, this is uncalled for.

This is his first ever test hundred against BD. In fact, before this innings he had scored a total of 18 runs against Bangladesh. What you are saying may not mean but appears to imply that Sachins great record is on account of runs scored against the minnows of the game. You know for sure that this is not the case,

Inspite of clearly being far below his best, he has this year, before this one, two scores, one his highest and the other an unbeaten near double, against two of the best bowling attacks in the world. If this is what he could do when clearly not at anywhere near his best, then to ridicule his batting shows a lack of appreciation of all that is good about the game.

If one set of supporters here goes about screaming and trying to prove that Sachin is not one of the greatest batsmen the game has produced and the other goes around trying to do the same to Warne or Murali the bowler, it doesnt change anything or do any damage to the standing these legends are going to enjoy in the history of the game. What it does do , however, is to show in very poor light the objectivity of the debating parties or their knowledge of the game. In either case, it doesnt do them any credit.

Sachin, Warne and others dont need our certificates to cement their place for posterity. But surely we can do justice to this forum by raising the calibre of debate above the biased , nay childlike, denial of facts that it seems to get reduced to at times.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sachin actually scores a 100 against Australia in one of every three matches he plays against Australia, since he's scored 7 centuries in 21 matches against Australia. Fantastic record.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
If one set of supporters here goes about screaming and trying to prove that Sachin is not one of the greatest batsmen the game has produced and the other goes around trying to do the same to Warne or Murali the bowler, it doesnt change anything or do any damage to the standing these legends are going to enjoy in the history of the game. What it does do , however, is to show in very poor light the objectivity of the debating parties or their knowledge of the game. In either case, it doesnt do them any credit.
Yeah. Tendulkar's place among one of the greats of the game does not reduce in any manner.

Craig

World Traveller
Jono said:
Sachin actually scores a 100 against Australia in one of every three matches he plays against Australia, since he's scored 7 centuries in 21 matches against Australia. Fantastic record.
Great record.

Only Lara has a similar record, with 8 hundreds in 27 matches.

masterblaster

International Captain
Jono said:
Absolutely.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
BTW i wasnt having a go at Sachin, more at the standard of Bangladesh, its his job to go out and score the runs whatever the opposition.

Also though it was obviously a good innings, its a shame that it has replaced the 241* against Australia as his top score IMO

Craig

World Traveller
That was a fine knock. But his 100 against Australia at the MCG in 1999 (Brett Lee's debut) was his best I have seen and probably one of the best he has scored IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think plenty of people have taken skd's comment out of context.
No-one in their right mind would question Tendulkar's status as a fantastic batsman. IMO the best since West Indies of the 50s and 60s (Weekes, Walcott, Sobers).
However, it would be equal folly to suggest that this innings, against a Test-side who don't deserve the paper their status is printed on, compensates for his recent mostly horrid form. If he goes on for much longer like he has been recently (though it has now become apparrent to me just how much of a part the injury may have played in it) you've got to ask serious questions about whether he can make 40, let alone 50, Test-centuries.
If he returns to his best touch (and I don't doubt he's capable of it) he can make it beyond question, but we've got to wait for more evidence before saying he has.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
masterblaster said:
Absolutely.
What's even more fascinating, is the fact that in the last 6 (since he missed the first 2 in India) tests he's played against Australia, he's only scored one ton. So before the 2003/04 test series in Australia, his record was 6 in 15. Just shows how good he was in the 90s and early 2000s.

Camel56

Banned
To be honest i dont think he will play for long enough to get to 50 test centuries. I do think that getting to 40 is a mere formality though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But can he go on for 6 more years? I for one doubt it seeing how long he's been playing already.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I certainly don't think so if he continues trying to play through the pain he's clearly been experiencing for quite a while now.
Pain, it might be logical to guess, that could just possibly be affecting his form...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
But can he go on for 6 more years? I for one doubt it seeing how long he's been playing already.
Tendulkar when asked the question in the interview if his flame of playing doesnt get reduced, he said that if it did, he should be sitting at home rather than lpaying cricket. Tendulkar's love for the game wont cease and for playing wont cease any time soon.

Also regarding the injury, thats a real concern for me as well. Tendulkar has battled all odds and I am sure he will battle this one as well.

C_C

International Captain
Many players have played for 20+ years and Tendulkar can be one of them.
He has injuries but his greatest asset is that he can always adapt and compensate ( how many batsmen today would be averaging 50+ while playing continously with a shattered big toe ?)
Dont forget that Lara broke his elbow in 2001 or 2002 and he came back raring.
I dont see any reason why a 31 year old Tendy cannot play till 37.